Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iTrip

New iTrip
bobsie
Nov 1, 2003, 12:03 PM

Does anyone have the new iTrip yet? I ordered mine from Griffin in mid-August and am still waiting. I know they've had problems getting it going, but they've announced they're now shipping.

If anyone has the new one, how's it working?

-- bobsie

sray
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by bobsie:
Does anyone have the new iTrip yet? I ordered mine from Griffin in mid-August and am still waiting. I know they've had problems getting it going, but they've announced they're now shipping.

If anyone has the new one, how's it working?

-- bobsie
I have two of the new iTrips. One arrived DOA and the other works just fine. Griffin is shipping me a replacement for the one that doesn't work.

I've noticed that you really need to have FM channel that is clear (nothing but static) before you can broadcast FM quality music. I live in the D.C. area so finding them are difficult but possible. Fortunately, my morning/evening commute takes me down a road that has a open FM channel (87.9FM) and I can listen to music the entire way. My wife faced significant static and has stopped using her iTrip (back to the old wire and cassette adapter for her).

Bottom line, the iTrip works wonderfully if you can find an open station/channel. Btw, my car (Toyota Avalon) has the radio antenna embedded in the rear window (vertical wires that run down the middle of the rear window). Since the signal does not have to leave the cabin to get to the antenna, I get excellent reception.

The iTrip is a joy to use around the house also.

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 02:17 PM

I just received mine 2 days ago. I had ordered about a month ago and it just came. I emailed them last week and they said it would be here in about a week and they were right.

By the way, I love it! I like the fact that it gives you so many choices for the stations you can use. Since my truck has no cassette, it is great!

Jim

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 04:56 PM

I ordered mine from the Apple Store when they first started carrying them for the new iPod and It came here this morning. I haven't tried it yet, but atleast it looks cool on the top of my iPod. I'm gonna test it later today. I hope it works out good, I've heard such bad things about it...

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

bobsie  (op)
Nov 1, 2003, 09:59 PM

I ordered my iTrip from Griffin 2 1/2 months ago. Those of you who have your new one, did you order yours after Aug. 15? I'm wondering whether my order fell through a crack somewhere. I e-mailed Griffin the other day, but they haven't responded.
As far as I know, Griffin is a first-rate reputable company, but I'd like to know what's going on.

-- Bobisie

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 01:31 AM

Well I drove around Northern SoCal today (Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, The 101 Freeway, The 23/118 Freeway, Newbury Park, ect.) and I have to say, I absolutely love my iTrip! If a direct line into the iPod is a 10 in sound quality, then most of the time the sound quality is a 9, and every now and then it turns into an 8. Between songs you can hear a very faint static. VERY faint static and during songs there is no static at all. I found it to have the best sound if you kept the iPod's volume at around 70-75% and then used the car stereo's volume to adjust the sound. I'll have pics of how I integrated it into my car. But until then, I give it 10/10 stars for being very cheap for what it does, doing exactly what it advertises and for having a very easy and simple setup, and for just looking cool on the top of your iPod!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Well I drove around Northern SoCal today (Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, The 101 Freeway, The 23/118 Freeway, Newbury Park, ect.) and I have to say, I absolutely love my iTrip! If a direct line into the iPod is a 10 in sound quality, then most of the time the sound quality is a 9, and every now and then it turns into an 8. Between songs you can hear a very faint static. VERY faint static and during songs there is no static at all. I found it to have the best sound if you kept the iPod's volume at around 70-75% and then used the car stereo's volume to adjust the sound. I'll have pics of how I integrated it into my car. But until then, I give it 10/10 stars for being very cheap for what it does, doing exactly what it advertises and for having a very easy and simple setup, and for just looking cool on the top of your iPod!

I second that!

Jim

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 06:34 PM

I'm still waiting...I ordered on 10/9/03 and still haven't got it. I emailed them today, so hopefully it'll ship out soon.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

bobsie  (op)
Nov 3, 2003, 10:11 PM

At last! Good news.

I was told by Griffin today that my long-ordered iTrip should be shipped this week. They also said all backorders should go out within about two weeks.

-- bobsie .

Forum Links
Forum Rules