Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking Mac and PC via serial link

Networking Mac and PC via serial link
jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2006, 08:48 AM

I am looking for info on using a direct serial connection (e.g. as provided by a keyspan 19HS usb serial adaptor) to establish a ppp connection through to a serial port (COM1) on the windows box. I have installed the keyspan driver on my Mac (running OS X 10.4.7) and the network system preferences item sees the connection and offers the ability to connect via ppp. I believe I have the Network parameters set correctly.

I have set up an Incoming Connections network connection on the PC which should be listening for attempts to connect through the serial port. I dug around on Windows (XP) and in the Phone and Modem Options control panel, I can get to a diagnostics tab for the "modem" established on the communications cable and I see log messages there.

I can also use the View Log menu item for the Internet Connect application to see log messages from the Mac side.

I was hoping to use a null modem connect script and OS X's Internet Connect application to set up a client request from a Mac (running OS X Tiger 10.4.7) to talk ppp with the PC. I bought a DB 9 null modem cable to go from my Keyspan adaptor's male DB9 port to the male COM port on the PC. Or do I NOT use a null modem cable but a direct connecting cable?

Apparently the default null modem script is missing some handshaking commands for the PC to see my incoming connection attempt -- or it's the fact that the script has the lines:

@ORIGINATE
@ANSWER
serreset 57600, 0, 8, 1
@HANGUP
exit 0

in it and the @HANGUP immediately terminates the connection. The log messages on the PC suggest that an attempt at a connection does happen. I am connecting at 57600 for a brief moment. I read somewhere that I should use the terminal option for establishing the PPP connection, and that I need to type clientclient into the ppp terminal window. I do this and I see the expected response: CLIENTSERVER in my ppp terminal and the windows log says that this response was sent. I was led to this clientclient, CLIENTSERVER handshake by reading about attempts to use bluetooth to connect a Mac and PC.

But then the connection through the serial connection is immediately terminated, perhaps because of @HANGUP.

I am looking for the commands to add to the null modem script, if any, that would allow the ppp connection to be established so that I can send tcp packets from the mac to the PC.

Or I need an example of a chat script that I can use for pppd from the command line that I can invoke to make this happen.

I am trying to simulate a "low bandwidth" network between my Mac and PC to test an application I am developing.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules