Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Golive CS Q & A: A migration from DW

Golive CS Q & A: A migration from DW
:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 05:14 PM

Ok... i think DW 04 is killing 90% of it's users with the Molasses Death Ray... and I am really contemplating a switch to GL.

I'd like to start this thread with the hopes that GL CS users can help us out with some specific feature questions, etc.

Here are my big 3 or 4 list of DW 'cans'... i am sure there are others... but this is the short list of my immediate 'must haves'

1) QuickTag Editor/wrap (DW cmd-T)

2) Display PHP 'required' and 'includes' in design view if the have a local path/relative to root

3) Apply Source formatting without rewriting code ( i paste enough Word text files to need it badly)

4) Copy/Paste Word text files without a HUGE mess.

Oh,,,and lastly... if there a away to toggle the visibility of the '.site' window like that in DW (F8)

I am sure others have questions

Adobe CS users... please help us... you are our only hope.

T

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 05:24 PM

Well, I 'd like to offer my experience with GoLIve CS as a current DreamWeaver user however, the installer produced a kernel panic when attempting to install. At least Macromedia makes a decent installer.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

snerdini
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 05:24 PM

Is GoLive CS available as a trial download? We are currently still using MX vanilla because of the issues with 2004...

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by snerdini:
Is GoLive CS available as a trial download? We are currently still using MX vanilla because of the issues with 2004...
Checked yesterday, it is still on 6.0.

I quess we will have to wait a few more weeks for the CS trials.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
Ok... i think DW 04 is killing 90% of it's users with the Molasses Death Ray...

It's probably only about 40%, actually, as the Windows version almost certainly is so much faster as to be a totally different application.

Anyway... anyone use GoLive CS, maybe even on 10.3? From what I've read here, the CS suite could be a nice upgrade.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Well, I 'd like to offer my experience with GoLIve CS as a current DreamWeaver user however, the installer produced a kernel panic when attempting to install. At least Macromedia makes a decent installer.
Actually...both use standard installers from Mindvision and other companies.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 09:00 AM

My problem with GL is the folders that it creates to manage sites. There is a lot!

DW does not create any folder.

:dragonflypro:  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
My problem with GL is the folders that it creates to manage sites. There is a lot!

DW does not create any folder.
At this point 2 or 3 extra folders in a directory will be a lot easier to handle than literally waiting 3+ minutes for 5 60k documents to open at the same time....and on and on and on

Someone must be using this......

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 02:02 PM

literally waiting 3+ minutes for 5 60k documents to open at the same time...
Whoa... 3+ minutes ? That seems a bit long, even for DW MX 04 standards. Are you on 10.3? I did a clean install of 10.3 on a new disk, and DW, while still not exactly winning any speed medals, has become sort of bearable speed-wise. I just opened 5 60+k documents (very simple ones, though, no big messy tables etc.) as a test -- took DW about 15 seconds. (TiBook 800, 1GB RAM, 80GB disk, 10.3.1)

:dragonflypro:  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Whoa... 3+ minutes ? That seems a bit long, even for DW MX 04 standards. Are you on 10.3? I did a clean install of 10.3 on a new disk, and DW, while still not exactly winning any speed medals, has become sort of bearable speed-wise. I just opened 5 60+k documents (very simple ones, though, no big messy tables etc.) as a test -- took DW about 15 seconds. (TiBook 800, 1GB RAM, 80GB disk, 10.3.1)
I just tried my little benchmark again... I may be falsely recalling the 3+ minutes...I do know waiting 1 minute every time you open a few pages just destroys work rhythm.

What kills me it that i can see the source code...it just takes forever for it to render.

Test results....

5 60k (all text) .html files
AL15 1.25/1GB Ram

DW MX 04 1 min 4 sec.
GL CS 12 sec (cough-eval-cough).....i am that irritated....

I don't know my way around GL as well yet and an pretty busy...but I hope to get to use it soon.

T

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 01:36 AM

Does anyone know what's going on at Macromedia? Dreamweaver on OS X is an embarrassment, and just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Are they trying on purpose to drive their Mac users away? Has Mac development on DW been radically slashed?

What's going on?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Has Mac development on DW been radically slashed?
There's probably no Mac development whatsoever on DW, or any other app for that matter, at MacroMedia these days.

MM develops windows apps, they get ported to OS X by a company in India, we spend big $$$ on it and wonder what the *?!% has happened.

The good news is that Adobe is starting to to the same thing, so in a few years we won't be able to know good from bad anymore -- it will just all be badly ported.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 06:12 AM

DW MX 04 1 min 4 sec.
GL CS 12 sec

snerdini
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:
The good news is that Adobe is starting to to the same thing, so in a few years we won't be able to know good from bad anymore -- it will just all be badly ported.

-Q-
Nov 14, 2003, 12:22 PM

I did like some of the interface tweaks they made to DW but it the lack of speed is killing me! Had some emergency come up at work this week and I didn't need the additional anxiety of trying to get the stupid thing to work as fast as I was going along with the hard deadline we were facing.

I may have to give GoLive a go if I can see enough feedback here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules