Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Preview in Panther - some new goodies!

Preview in Panther - some new goodies!
JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 09:10 AM

You can now zoom into a selection or crop it. It's becoming quite a nice little image editing app - but why Apple doesn't show these really useful tools by default? To get them you need to Customise the toolbar.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:11 AM

Yes, the additions are nice.

However, there appears to be no undo feature. If you zoom to view, etc. there is no going back unless you turn off the window, discard changes and start over.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by JKT:

You can now zoom into a selection or crop it. It's becoming quite a nice little image editing app - but why Apple doesn't show these really useful tools by default? To get them you need to Customise the toolbar.
I think Apple has big plans for Preview. I see it maturing into an application that is a catch-all)

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 12:21 PM

I've only just noticed the "View Full Screen" menu item.

Is that new in Panther? It's certainly very nice.

[edit] - Just tried rotating a PDF 90 Degrees then viewing in full-screen on my Powerbook. If I could flip the screen all the way round it would make an excellent tablet PC... very book-like.

It would be nice if Preview could display a PDF with two consecutive pages side-by-side - like a book.
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Nov 14, 2003 at 12:28 PM. )

snerdini
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 12:23 PM

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Yes, the additions are nice.

However, there appears to be no undo feature. If you zoom to view, etc. there is no going back unless you turn off the window, discard changes and start over.
Yes, it is rather bizarre that there is no Undo (com-Z) option in Preview, but you can add Zoom to actual size etc. Also if you Crop, com-K (under Tools) is Reverse Crop.

Feedback to Apple - just give us com-Z!

Another shortcoming is that the selection rectangle doesn't scroll the window if you get to the edge of an oversized image.

Forum Links
Forum Rules