Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tim Hardaway - Very Surprising Comments

Tim Hardaway - Very Surprising Comments (Page 2)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Change him into a KKK member and have him spout that at the top of his lungs in public. Yep, it happens here in the USA.
You mean the same USA as the one that has slander and libel laws? Even the USA has limits as to what is acceptable to say and what is not. It's not a free speech free for all.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 06:36 PM

I'm starting to think this guy is not just an asshole but nuts.

"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."

SI.com - NBA - Amaechi responds to Hardaway's anti-gay rant - Thursday February 15, 2007 1:27PM

So twelve 6.5', 300 pound guys are going to be shaking in their little sports shoes over the fellow gay teammate. Heaven forbid if a gay man took a glance at his dick during a shower. I hear it can cause straight men into a trance and if you don't sleep with the guy your penis falls off and you lose the game.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Change the person to a white guy from a black guy and change gay to negro or leave him black and change gay to honky or call...

Free speech.

Inciting hatred is a crime in most civilized countries. I guess we can see where the good ole USA stands.
Inciting people to commit violence is a crime in the U. S. Telling someone that you hate them is not, and is not the same thing. If one were to stand on a stage and say, "I hate gays, and we should all go out and hang them," and the crowd follows and does hang them, that's a crime. Simply saying one hates gays is not a crime. There's a huge difference.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
You mean the same USA as the one that has slander and libel laws? Even the USA has limits as to what is acceptable to say and what is not. It's not a free speech free for all.
Those are called frivolous lawsuits, and they are ridiculous I agree. Our justice system is definitely not the best in the world, but our free speech laws are.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Inciting people to commit violence is a crime in the U. S. Telling someone that you hate them is not, and is not the same thing. If one were to stand on a stage and say, "I hate gays, and we should all go out and hang them," and the crowd follows and does hang them, that's a crime. Simply saying one hates gays is not a crime. There's a huge difference.
Yes, there is a huge difference. Unfortunately with the sentence: "They shouldn't be in the world that or in the United States." he's doing exactly that.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Atomic Rooster
Feb 15, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Those are called frivolous lawsuits, and they are ridiculous I agree. Our justice system is definitely not the best in the world, but our free speech laws are.
So calling you a pedophile and your career and life ruined would be frivolous in your opinion?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Yes, there is a huge difference. Unfortunately with the sentence: "They shouldn't be in the world that or in the United States." he's doing exactly that.
Replace "Gays" with "Jews" and "United States" with "Germany" and it has a nice Hitler ring to it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Atomic Rooster
Feb 15, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
Replace "Gays" with "Jews" and "United States" with "Germany" and it has a nice Hitler ring to it.
This just shows you that some people (even MacNNers) flip their yappers before their brain starts to function. Even big black footsi ball players.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

That statement still wouldn't fit the legal definition of inciting crime, I'm reasonably sure. It expresses a hateful opinion, but it does not make a call to action, or provide any statement as to how they should be eliminated. There has to be some means of providing guidance or instructions on how to carry out violence in order to be considered incitement, I'm reasonably sure.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2007, 10:19 PM

would that be okay if he said "don't like" gay people instead of "hate". nowadays I find it so amazing that if anyone dislike gays or lesbians and they are the a**holes". what happen to freedom of speech? i know he used some harsh words but anyone should have any opinion, right?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by hardcat1970 View Post
would that be okay if he said "don't like" gay people instead of "hate". nowadays I find it so amazing that if anyone dislike gays or lesbians and they are the a**holes". what happen to freedom of speech? i know he used some harsh words but anyone should have any opinion, right?
Anyone has a right to an opinion, but that opinion is so infantile, moronic and downright stupid. Hating a group of people, be they homosexual, black, jews or Canadian, is just casting your net too wide. Hating individuals is fine, but judging a large group of people with a wide variety of personalities based on a single thing they have in common is just plain dumb. And a person with such a view (especially a public one) is rightfully deserving of the scorn and hate they receive for it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by hardcat1970 View Post
He's allowed to have his opinion, and we're allowed to think he's an ignorant dumbass because of his opinion. It goes both ways. Would you be equally quick to defend him if he'd said the following?

"Well, you know, I hate Jews. I let it be known, I don't like Jews. I don't like to be around Jews. Yeah, I'm anti-Semitic. I don't like Jews. They shouldn't be in the world or in the United States for that. So, yeah, I don't like it."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 01:02 AM

So by that same token, what if a top white player in the league were to come out in a public interview and say the same thing about blacks? Basically, substitute all the statements of "gay" with "black" and we find ourselves back in the heat of the civil rights movement.

The huge irony of it all is precisely that he IS black making statements that non-blacks would get crucified for if they were talking color.

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
If that's the way he feels then why shouldn't he tell people?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
So by that same token, what if a top white player in the league were to come out in a public interview and say the same thing about blacks? Basically, substitute all the statements of "gay" with "black" and we find ourselves back in the heat of the civil rights movement.

The huge irony of it all is precisely that he IS black making statements that non-blacks would get crucified for if they were talking color.
If a white player made that statement, he sure as hell picked the wrong job. (NBA). However, I see your point but, however you try to word it. It was a dumb statement on his part. Even more dumb was him trying to apologize for it. If he feels that way fine, but don't back pedal on it when you get called on it. If you said it you meant it. I don't by the 'slip' if you sit there trying to explain WHY you hate them. You Tim, have the problem and are an idiot for that one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules