Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need a very quick decision on PC speakers

Need a very quick decision on PC speakers
Cipher13
Feb 15, 2007, 09:51 PM

So, I have to buy them within an hour or two, so I'm working off the selection available at my local hardware store. I hate buying comp hardware without checking reviews and all that out but I need them quite urgently, so here's what I have to work with, details straight off the website:

Logitech X-530 5.1
70Watts RMS, 6-Pieces, 40-20000HZ, Total Peak Power:140 Watts
$100 AUD

Creative T7900 7.1
Creative Inspire T7900 BLACK Speakers, 7.1 ch, 20W RMS Center Speaker, 6 x Satellite Speakers 8W RMS, 24W RMS Subwoofer, Wired Remote Control
$220 AUD

Creative SBS580 5.1
Creative SBS580 BLACK Speakers, 5.1 channel, Slim Satellite speakers: 6W RMS x 5, Subwoofer: 16W RMS, 80dB SNR
$100 AUD

I'm not too concerned about hte price, but I don't believe my sound card supports 7.1 (5.1 max I think), but I dunno what Creative's reputation is vs. Logitech.

Any input would be appreciated.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2007, 10:25 PM

oh crap, forgot you were down/over there. Just picked up two pair of JBL Creature IIs, Targets been clearancing them for 24.99.

dont pay much attention to the watt ratings on the above, doesnt mean much in that context and manufacturers fudge those like you wouldnt believe. $220 is beyond what I think those are worth tho the hundred dollar creatives arent a bad deal. just go give em a listen. YOU have to sit in front of them all day, making sure you enjoy them is what matters most.

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2007, 10:36 PM

You need to hear them to judge them. Don't take our word for it.

Cipher13  (op)
Feb 15, 2007, 11:24 PM

Yeah, ideally. This is a decision I'd normally deliberate over but the circumstances at the moment won't allow for it, so I was hoping there was a clear difference in quality between the offerings that was well known.

Ah well, that would've been too easy.

Thanks anyway.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 15, 2007, 11:52 PM

What do you need surround sound for?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 11:58 PM

Just a hunch:
movies
games

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cipher13  (op)
Feb 16, 2007, 12:00 AM

Movies/gaming mostly. I've got a 2.1 setup at the moment (BA635s) and I've wanted to change that to a 5.1 setup for quite a while now.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 16, 2007, 12:14 AM

I wasn't aware ANY mac games used 5.1. Am I wrong? If it's just for movies.... honestly for those prices I'd be looking at a used home theater in a box. Optical out from the mac, into the HTIB receiver. You'll get a much larger sub, and much better surrounds, most likely.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
dont pay much attention to the watt ratings on the above, doesnt mean much in that context and manufacturers fudge those like you wouldnt believe. $220 is beyond what I think those are worth tho the hundred dollar creatives arent a bad deal. just go give em a listen. YOU have to sit in front of them all day, making sure you enjoy them is what matters most.
WRONG. The RMS rating is the correct wattage output for those above speakers and DOES matter when dealing with playing audio loud and without distortion.

Cipher13  (op)
Feb 16, 2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I wasn't aware ANY mac games used 5.1. Am I wrong? If it's just for movies.... honestly for those prices I'd be looking at a used home theater in a box. Optical out from the mac, into the HTIB receiver. You'll get a much larger sub, and much better surrounds, most likely.
This machine isn't a Mac.

EDIT: I've already got a 5.1 cinema setup for watching DVDs etc on a TV - this is in a different room.
( Last edited by Cipher13; Feb 16, 2007 at 12:47 AM. )

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 16, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
WRONG. The RMS rating is the correct wattage output for those above speakers and DOES matter when dealing with playing audio loud and without distortion.
Sorta. The problem is every manufacturer tweaks their ratings to look good, or measures it at different volumes/distortion levels. It's a rough guide, but it's not the end all of speaker performance.

MacPino
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2007, 07:19 AM

one vote here for the X530 set: i've got a X230, which is the same except in a 2.1 configuration. There is a lot of bass in the little kit, and a lot of volume, if you want a loud one. If you're looking for the best sonic reproduction, this is not the right set, but for movies/series, it's very good.

difference between creative and logitech in a few words (in my experience): Creatives tend to be more clear (high tones, "crystal", but sometimes somewhat lacking in the lows), Logitech are more boomboxes: they sound more "spectacular".

pffew, difficult: describing sound in english...
( Last edited by MacPino; Feb 16, 2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: additions)
proud daddy!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hm...but whereever could he find such a system locally?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 11:44 AM

I got my USB soundsticks 7 years ago and those suckers never quit on me once on the 3 computers it has been passed down to. On top of it they are still stylish 7 years after the fact which is surprising.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
I got my USB soundsticks 7 years ago and those suckers never quit on me once on the 3 computers it has been passed down to. On top of it they are still stylish 7 years after the fact which is surprising.
Holy crap, the Soundsticks have been around for 7 years?? Damn, time flies. And I'm gettin OLD!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Holy crap, the Soundsticks have been around for 7 years?? Damn, time flies. And I'm gettin OLD!
Well 6.5 years.

They came out at the same time as the G4 Cube, optical mouse, Dual G4's, Kermit Green, Red, white and indigo iMacs at Macworld in August 2000.

I remember cuz I was there and it was killer.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
I'm on my second pair of soundsticks. Yup. Replaced my old six years USB soundsticks that travelled the world with me multiple times and got beat up as a result of it, with brand new Soundsticks 2. Not entirely happy with the blue details and the jack plugs replacing USB, but they sound and look spectacular still.

To this day people introduced to them are still baffled. I hear "those are speakers" ever so often.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 17, 2007, 01:01 PM

Why would it be suprising for speakers to last a whole 6-7 years? Mine are 30+ years and still fine. It's not exactly like they're exposed to the elements, or a high traffic device that sees a lot of physical abuse.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2007, 04:11 PM

second vote for soundsticks II
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 04:21 PM

Yes you were wrong. There are a few 5.1 Mac games. Battlefront is one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules