Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Orbit@home (in Alpha) update

Orbit@home (in Alpha) update
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hi all,

At long last there is a news update on the orbit site. Looks like more waiting.

October 21, 2005
In the last month, we've not been able to work on orbit@home on a daily basis for various reasons, but still some important results have been achieved. The most important improvements to orbit@home are the result of the collaboration with Pan-STARRS (http://pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/public/) researchers in order to be ready to analyze their observations as soon as their survey starts (first light for PS1 prototype is scheduled for early 2006) and the observations are made publicly available. This requires substantial science-code development, and the results so far are extremely positive. As the first wave of WU demonstrated, the code based on ORSA works correctly on remote clients (only Linux platform tested for the moment). In order to provide WUs on a daily basis, we are developing a science-database and the relative management code. This will take a fair amount of time, about two more months of work. For this reason, the beta phase will be postponed to early 2006. Clients for Windows and Mac OS X will be provided as soon as the scientific application is considered sufficiently stable on the Linux platform. All the clients will be provided and tested during the alpha phase, to fix all the major problems before the beta phase.

K.

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:26 PM

Orbit have announced that they have some funding, at very long last. We should see something in June, but don't hold your breath. They need more.

K.

orbit@home

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2007, 07:34 PM

This is just a quick and short message, as more details will follow shortly on the front page. We just received word that orbit@home has been selected for funding by NASA. This means that in a few months we will be able to work at this project with a dedicated time of at least 4 months per year, for three consecutive years. I'm extremely thrilled by this opportunity, and I thank NASA for making this possible, and all the users for their patience and belief in this project, because... WE GOT FUNDED!!!!!! :-D

Pasquale
Finally on the move ! But I won't go into orbit about it until I see the wu's coming down.

K.

zombie67
Senior User
Jul 21, 2007, 09:09 PM

Yep. And I want to know the plans for applications. They had only linux in the past. But I'm there, whatever they decide to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules