Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SETI@Home: Multibeam, what does it mean to us?

SETI@Home: Multibeam, what does it mean to us?
zombie67
Senior User
Jun 7, 2007, 11:46 PM

So, S@H Enhanced is soon to run out of the current work. Next up is Multibeam....very soon! Will alexkan's (outstanding) application be able to crunch that too? Or is it "use the generic application or nothing" (at least for now)?

I assume the latter. And I also assume that S@H (not BETA) will be issuing WUs for both Enhanced and Multibeam at the same time, for at least some period of time. For people who just use standard tasks, no issues. Crunch on.

But! My second question is: Will this mean some kind of modification to the app_info.xml to tell BOINC to use the optimized app for Enhanced tasks, yet also use the standard app for Multibeam tasks?

We need to get in front of this. Get everyone set up ahead of time. Otherwise, we will end up with a bunch of idle machines, frustrated members bailing, and waves of "WTF is going on?! How do I fix this?!" posts. That's all bad for the team and the project.

And right behind that is AstroPulse....

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
So, S@H Enhanced is soon to run out of the current work. Next up is Multibeam....very soon! Will alexkan's (outstanding) application be able to crunch that too? Or is it "use the generic application or nothing" (at least for now)?

I assume the latter. And I also assume that S@H (not BETA) will be issuing WUs for both Enhanced and Multibeam at the same time, for at least some period of time. For people who just use standard tasks, no issues. Crunch on.

But! My second question is: Will this mean some kind of modification to the app_info.xml to tell BOINC to use the optimized app for Enhanced tasks, yet also use the standard app for Multibeam tasks?

We need to get in front of this. Get everyone set up ahead of time. Otherwise, we will end up with a bunch of idle machines, frustrated members bailing, and waves of "WTF is going on?! How do I fix this?!" posts. That's all bad for the team and the project.

And right behind that is AstroPulse....
Well, been behind the scenes for some time but it seems to me, that multibeam has more to do with data collection then data analysis. The basics of analysis are not obviously changed by multibeam, only the collection process (more data is collected per scan). I think as this progresses we will have a clearer picture, but at this time do not expect the analysis side of the equation to change significantly. alexkan's excellent optimizations will just have more date to crunch.

My 2 cent us dollars opinion.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jun 17, 2007, 05:01 AM

So....help me here. Does this mean no changes to app_info.xml?

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 12:03 PM

I believe we will need a new version to process multi-beam data. I think they're up to v5.21 in beta.

QS

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 10:53 AM

I think it's all about data collection. With a multibeam setup they can collact more data faster. Say if they have 4 recievers set up on the dish when it scans the sky they will get 4 times the data then if they have one. The data storage facility needs to be able to handle all this extra data and that is why the upgrades. The segments we the app gets will likely be the same. All the change is on the backend there (SETI and the DISH). The data also may be multiplexed on one feed from the recievers into one stream and the server needs to separate the signals out.

So multibeam just means more data and WUs in less time. The data is the same as before, they can just cover more sky in one sweep. I have not read how many beams they will have but the more the better the coverage.

You guys may know this, but you can relate it to a search party senario. If you are looking for something in a large field it could take you a long time to find what you are looking for, but if you get a buch of others to walk through the field with you in a line across the field you can cover more of the field faster. That's what it's all about.

So data the same just more of it for us to crunch. Big difference is in the hardware at SETI. If they change the app it would be to adjust for normal things (bugs/speed) or to add processes to search on.

That's my take.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2007, 02:23 AM

As I see it, any changes to the worker have already been made with the intro of setiathome_enhanced 5.13.

As said, the multi beam covers more sky at a time, but also a wider spread of the search frequency. The big gain, imo, is the reduction in noise as this will mean that any weaker signals will not be swamped out. In crunch terms, it seems that wu's will take longer to do. Arecibo is off line until about the 1st August for re-painting.

If you haven't seen them, there is a Planetary Society article and a SETI@home Plans article that are worth the reading.

K.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 12:42 PM

Yep. The SETI@Home Palns tells us 7 beams, so 7 times the data. Sounds like the recievers are an overall upgrade too.

I was quite disappointed with the paint job they are doing though. I would think I would look nicer in camouflage to blend with the jungle or big flames or something cool. Well I guess they need it white for reflectivity. Oh well. ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules