Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > G.I. Joe - Rise of Cobra - WTF

G.I. Joe - Rise of Cobra - WTF (Page 2)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
1) Almost all knock offs will pay homage to the original - the kung-fu grip comment was funny, the "Knowing is half the battle" reference was so terribly done it almost ruined the whole movie for me by itself. It might have just been Quaid's delivery/performance, but the line really was awful.
I went with a bunch of friends in a van to a drive in with lots of alcohol. Every time a dorky Joe line showed up, it was "drink." Fun times.
4) Why do action movies have to go crazy with computer graphics and gimmicks? Scarlet's invisibility cloak works because something like that actually exists, where as the GI Joe near invincibility suits that can be thrown around like rag dolls without taking damage and don't hurt the wearer are just silly. Way too many times, especially during the undersea battles, the scenes looked computer animated - I just couldn't get immersed in the situation. And Breaker getting "images" out of the dead guy's brain seemed really unoriginal - something similar was even done in Wild Wild West, where they shined light through a guys eyes to see what was burned into his retina.
Didn't you watch the original show? Endless sci-fi junk. Par for the course.
5) What ever happened to Dr. Mindbender (who we only see in a flashback)?
The "doctor" was a good red herring. I kept assuming he was Dr Mindbender, then we find out it's Rex and he becomes Cobra Commander. Nice.
I wasn't expecting Rex to become Cobra Commander (I do dislike his mask).
Agreed, the mask design was crap.

Overall, the movie was so-so. Better than expected, but my expectations were pretty low.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Aug 11, 2009 at 09:23 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Superman...

Also...lame-ified?
No. GI Joe used to be a human-shaped, well articulated 12' action figure that came with realistic uniforms and equipment. He had Marine and Army uniforms to start, and added Navy and Air Force uniforms later. He had a space suit that looked an awful lot like a Mercury suit. He had equipment that you could look at and say "Joe has a Garand rifle." Then they made the figure smaller. Then they gave him craptasticly stupid "uniforms" and "equipment" that no decent hack writer would have come up with. THEN they came up with some made up über-threat group that made "Get Smart's" KAOS sound like highbrow stuff.

No the comics were cool, but GI Joe had been emasculated years and years ago.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2009, 08:12 AM

Same with good old Action Man in the UK. When I was a kid he was a (reasonably) accurate human figure with current military kit, and tanks and guns and stuff. You could get para Action man, navy action man etc.

Then he morphed into a superhero. By the time I was designing children's toys packaging and video sleeves you couldn't show him holding a gun because it was too militaristic but he had space lasers and a cyborg enemy.

God knows what they do now. Bloody toy companies.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2009, 09:25 PM

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
No. GI Joe used to be a human-shaped, well articulated 12' action figure that came with realistic uniforms and equipment. He had Marine and Army uniforms to start, and added Navy and Air Force uniforms later. He had a space suit that looked an awful lot like a Mercury suit. He had equipment that you could look at and say "Joe has a Garand rifle." Then they made the figure smaller. Then they gave him craptasticly stupid "uniforms" and "equipment" that no decent hack writer would have come up with. THEN they came up with some made up über-threat group that made "Get Smart's" KAOS sound like highbrow stuff.

12' or 12"? You must have grown up in a HUGE house

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

I never played with any 12" dolls. Smaller figures like Star Wars and GI Joe were much better. Even He-Man was too big. Bigger figures required bigger vehicles. Imagine an AT-AT for a 12" Star Wars doll.

Actually, I did own one 12" doll: the Bionic Man.

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2009, 11:43 PM

hmmm.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I never played with any 12" dolls. Smaller figures like Star Wars and GI Joe were much better. Even He-Man was too big. Bigger figures required bigger vehicles. Imagine an AT-AT for a 12" Star Wars doll.

Actually, I did own one 12" doll: the Bionic Man.
With 12" figures, it was much easier to do things with them using small fingers. Little figures are hard to manipulate because all the parts are small and a smaller kid doesn't usually have the dexterity to put a 6" doll's scale accessories in the doll's hands. I'll also point out that Barbie is a 12" scale doll and there are tons of vehicles and playscapes for that series of dolls. Sure an AT-AT at 1/6 scale would be pretty darn big, but wouldn't a speeder bike in that scale be a lot cooler?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2009, 05:22 PM

Saw it over the weekend.
I expected bad but it was worse than I could have thought possible.

Why was Stormshadow remade as metrosexual? The powersuits or whatever they were called made the people wearing them look like Sonic the Hedgehog. And Marlon Wayans did not disappoint. He was every bit as idiotic and a detriment as I thought he would be to the film. His one liners were piss poor and did nothing to make the film better. His character should have been shot dead in the first scene.

Also what was up with the cast from the Mummy making cameos in the movie? Brendan fraser made for an odd choice as Flint.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 05:38 PM

I can't wait to watch this cinematic abortion. It's next in my netflix cue.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2009, 05:46 PM

I'm watching it again tonight on Blu-Ray. It was so entertaining because it is so cheesy and loud to all hell. Normally I hate popcorn flicks but this one was good for what it was.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2009, 05:58 PM

I'll watch when there's a RiffTrax.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 10, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Saw it over the weekend.
I expected bad but it was worse than I could have thought possible.

Why was Stormshadow remade as metrosexual? The powersuits or whatever they were called made the people wearing them look like Sonic the Hedgehog. And Marlon Wayans did not disappoint. He was every bit as idiotic and a detriment as I thought he would be to the film. His one liners were piss poor and did nothing to make the film better. His character should have been shot dead in the first scene.

Also what was up with the cast from the Mummy making cameos in the movie? Brendan fraser made for an odd choice as Flint.
Agreed on all counts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules