Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernal Errors on startup of install!!

Kernal Errors on startup of install!!
JeremyS
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 03:59 AM

Hi, I have a copy of build 4K78 and I tried installing it on my Mac G4 350/mhz. It starts to install then I get black screen with debugger text saying something about a kernal panic.

Anyway to get this to work?

I have 384mb RAM

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 05:34 AM

Did you wipe your drive clean before installing?

Installing new builds over older ones can reportedly cause kernel panics like what you've described.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 11:32 AM

It does this even before I get to select a hard drive to install it on, I have a 40gig with all my stuff on it and a 10 gig that is blank and reformatted.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 12:15 PM

I even took out the 40 gig, unhooked everything from the computer except the mouse and keyboard.

Even took out all PCI cards tried it and get the same thing.

Right after I agree to the legal agreement it says it's searching disks and boom the kernal error shows up.

Any other suggestions?

Would zapping PRAM help?

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
Did you wipe your drive clean before installing?

Installing new builds over older ones can reportedly cause kernel panics like what you've described.
It's happened to me as well; re-installing the Public Beta on a partitioned drive (12GB for Mac OS 9.0.4, 1GB for Mac OS X PB). It also happened when I tried to copy my Mac OS X drive over onto an external drive and reformat. All I know is that this week is going to involve lots of initializating, defragging and formatting.

I don't understand why there would be any problems with a blank drive, especially if it's been formatted. Were you to install Mac OS 9 on the drive, or a different build of OS X, would the problem disappear?

------------------
A monk asked Joshu: "Has a dog Buddha-nature or not?"
Joshu answered: "Mu."

Mumon's comments: "Has a dog Buddha-nature? This is the most serious question of all. If you say yes or no, you lose your own Buddha-nature."

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 12:38 PM

Just tried it on a 300mhz iBook and got the same exact thing so it's probably related to this copy I have, what else could it be.

GOD I hope OS X GM will not have this error!!!

Macnerd
Mar 24, 2001, 01:56 PM

Sorry top say that GM HAS got this error. I got my copy at a midnight launch in London and regularly had to keep restarting during the install due to all manner of panics. I have no idea what they mean or what to do about them. I finally got it installed but it's just not happening for me. Way too buggy on my machines. I can't even get Dial-Up to work! I formatted my drive prior to installing but it did no good.

tr909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 02:44 PM

If you get kernel panic messages at install of OSX try one of the following.
- Check your memory if you have various kinds of DIMMs try to use only the original memory or try to use two identical (sized) DIMMs, this fixed my panics.
- If you have a SCSI card check termination. MacOS 9 isn't to picky about SCSI termination, X is! (i'm running X from a SCSI 4.5GBUW disk)

Other things i have read in the forums and the readme's:
- someone with a beige G3 reported that a SCSI cd drive caused problems and that he had to install from another (ATA) CD drive he connected. Besides he had two internal ATA harddisks and after each install (OS-X OS9) on the drives he had to ZAP PRAM
- The readme of startupdisk 9.2.1 says it doesn't like systems on ATA SLAVE drives, i don't know the issues with this.
- on older systems (Beige G3, imac A,B,C,D rev.) OS-X wants to be in the first (phisical) 8GB of the drive due to firmware and PRAM.

also if you have a scsi card try a terminator (installer readme)

so again, be sure your hardware is 100%

good luck,
--- tr909 webdesign ---

cyberfunk
Mar 24, 2001, 04:48 PM

I'm getting the same problem, and nothins working

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2001, 08:23 PM

Sorry top say that GM HAS got this error. I got my copy at a midnight launch in London and regularly had to keep restarting during the install due to all manner of panics. I have no idea what they mean or what to do about them.
The kernel is the very core of the OS, it isn't very big, but it is responsible for running all the important low-level tasks. Kernel panics are extremly rare occurances in 'nix operating systems. Most people never see them.

It is the equivelent of the "Bomb" window appearing in Mac OS 9. It indicates that the kernel wasn't properly debugged before it was released. Nobody should be experiencing a kernel panic, especially with this kind of frequency.

cyberfunk
Mar 25, 2001, 12:34 AM

I consistantly get the same kernal panic and error message every time!

iYeat
Mar 26, 2001, 09:23 PM

I get an error similar to this when I have my 3rd party USB keyboard installed... when I've run X with the stock g3 b/w keyboard it works fine, but the second I put in the 3rd party MicroConnectors KB, it goes into panic

C

------------------
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

Forum Links
Forum Rules