Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Major leak about the palestinian-israeli-peace-process...

Major leak about the palestinian-israeli-peace-process... (Page 2)
OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I meant those who choose to leave(no claims by them to return, etc). Forced migration is not implied. At worst the "refugees" who remained would not be granted Israeli citizenship. IMHO
So they'd be stateless citizens? How is that going to work practically? My guess is it won't work at all.
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Do you know if the neighboring Arab states offer citizenship to the "refugees"? Personally I am not aware of any.
AFAIK at least 30 % of Jordan's population consists of people of Palestinian origin. Jordan is also struggling with the intake of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi refugees. Jordan's population has increased six-fold in the last 50 years. Remember that all these countries are pretty poor anyway, I can sympathize they don't want to take any more displaced Palestinians. Plus, I wouldn't want to get involved in drawing lines on maps that look like the fur of a leopard.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=OreoCookie;4047678]So they'd be stateless citizens? How is that going to work practically? My guess is it won't work at all. /QUOTE]

Why not ? it's worked for 60+ years ? Can YOU think of a better idea to get them to leave ?

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
AFAIK at least 30 % of Jordan's population consists of people of Palestinian origin. Jordan is also struggling with the intake of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi refugees. Jordan's population has increased six-fold in the last 50 years. Remember that all these countries are pretty poor anyway, I can sympathize they don't want to take any more displaced Palestinians. Plus, I wouldn't want to get involved in drawing lines on maps that look like the fur of a leopard.
Ah yes, of all the Arab/Muslim states, I like Jordan the most. And i'm glad to hear that they have absorbed these "refugees".

As far as drawing lines....after 1967, when Israel signed a peace treaty with Jordan, why didnt Jordan annex the west bank (the "occupied territories"). Give all the "refugees" Jordanian citizenship and maintain secure borders with Israel ?

Taliesin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2011, 07:02 AM

The fallout of the leak begins, Erekat offered his resignation, then the cabinet resigned, legislative and presidential elections are being planned now for September:

BBC News - Palestinian cabinet 'resigns' as part of reshuffle

Hamas wants to boycott the elections.

I guess the idea is to use the successful revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt as an excuse to go into elections in the hope of gaining new legitimacy with a new government after the leak basically eroded it considerably for the PA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules