Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > GOT MINE!!!! Funny story

GOT MINE!!!! Funny story
SummitWynds
Mar 19, 2003, 01:21 PM

I called the Rockingham store yesterday to see if they got any, I was told they did and that the calls had been made. I knew I was up there on the list (4th I had been told previously), so I called back to see how many they had gotten so I would know where I stood. That person told me they hadn't gotten any. SO, I figured I would take a drive up to get the real scoop. I JUST walked into the store and walked down an aisle when my cell phone rang. It was the Apple store, saying my 17" PB was in. I was the 1st to take one out of the Rockingham store. I just opened the box and am now off to check it out.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 01:24 PM

I just picked mine up at the Tyson's store. I'm making the review as I go here.

It rocks!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 01:27 PM

Awesome guys!!

Be sure to post on heat issues, 3D gaming performance, and *any* other tests you put it through! And get pics up if you are able to! Enjoy it you lucky souls!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Karim
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 01:37 PM

Congratulations guys!

I found out something on mine that is contrary to the published specs. It will write CD's at 16x instead of Apple's specsheet that says only 8x.

See if your drives are capable of that too.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 01:42 PM

Congratulations guys!

I found out something on mine that is contrary to the published specs. It will write CD's at 16x instead of Apple's specsheet that says only 8x.

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 01:52 PM

So far, what amazes me most is the size of the area around the keyboard/trackpad. Overall, it isn't amazingly larger than the 15. If I travelled alot, I don't think I would want to lug this one around. But that is just my opinion. I wanted something portable, and the larger screen fits my needs. The 15, or even the 12 is better suited for some people. The great thing with Apple is they have something now for everyone.

Will post some photos.

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2003, 01:57 PM

I've been to the Rockingham store. I am from the North Shore of Massachusetts, and I ordered my PB17 from the store to get the 10% coupon for preordering. I also am having mine shipped to a NH address to save on sales tax... I saved a good amount of money not ordering or shipping my PB17 from Taxachusetts.

But... I'm still waiting for mine to ship and arrive..
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

kmingis
Mar 19, 2003, 02:01 PM

SummitWynds, as another lucky earlybird owner, let me offer congratulations and a warning: you'll be tempted to stay up late into the night playing with your new baby. Same to karim and cwasko! When you get a chance, check out the lighted keyboard for the coolness factor, and I'll be curious what you think of the brightness. It doesn't seem to be as blazing as portrayed on the Apple site, though, still incredibly useful in low light situations. And I agree with you on the size. You can't exactly whip this out discreetly in an airport and start working. :-) Congrats again and have fun!

Karim
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 02:03 PM

Congratulations guys!

Karim
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 02:04 PM

Whoops MacNN has been jamming up. Sorry for the triple posts...

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 02:55 PM

Im headed to the bathroom with my new laptom (cant think of a good name for it yet) as it is the only room in the house without windows (how ironic does that sound). Gonna see how the keyboard looks.

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 02:59 PM

Pretty cool. The keyboard is not excessively bright. Just enough!! I love the feel of the keys. A little more solid than the Ti. If you could see me now, sitting here in the bathroom. Too funny.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 03:08 PM

I always name my computers after cartoon characters... I named my 17" 'Marge' from the Simpsons, the big hair...

I'm just going through the rigors of sinatlling everything now. gonna be a long day

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
Congratulations guys!

16x burns?!?! Woohoooo, what a welcome addition!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

kmingis
Mar 19, 2003, 03:20 PM

Funny, SummitWynds, the bathroom is EXACTLY where I had to go to get pix of the keyboard in the dark. I named mine Hammerhead, which I believe is the code name for the 17-inch PB. (Thresher was the code name for the PB 12). Both are the names of sharks, so I was tempted to call mine "Great White." :-)

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 03:24 PM

Im having too much fun exploring and getting my apps on and syncing things to take photos. I know everyone is dying to know more (as I was last night).

So far, VERY QUIET!! No fan noise. I have dual 800 that never shuts up.

So far, NO HEAT!!! I had a Ti 400, then a Ti 1 GHZ. Both were hot and the fan came on frequently (especially with the Ti 1 GHZ)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2003, 03:28 PM

I still like Lapzilla. It would go very will with my firewire Hubzilla.

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 04:01 PM

Just a couple photos.... too busy playing!!

My Aluminum 17" Powerbook

kmingis
Mar 19, 2003, 04:06 PM

Love the pix, SummitWynds!! No. 2 in particular makes your PB 17 look like something you'd see in widescreen CinemaScope at the theater!

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 04:09 PM

The screen size really is nice, isn't it? Can't wait to watch a dvd on it. Any word as to whether it is 2x (to burn dvds)? Originally, in the Keynote it was stated to be 2x, then shortly thereafter, they pulled it and replaced it with 1x.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 04:16 PM

Wow!!! Aweeesome pictures man! Congrats again!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 04:18 PM

Ken, and any other new owners... What do you think of the airport reception? Im not sure it is all that great. I don't have an Airport Extreme Base Station (dont plan on getting one at this time). I use my G4 dual 800 with an airport card and hooked up via ethernet to cable modem as the Base Station. Right now I am about 40 feet from the G4 and my bars are fluctuating back and forth from 0 to 2 bars. Mostly 1 bar. I am going to get the iBook and put it in this location and see what that gets....

SummitWynds  (op)
Mar 19, 2003, 04:29 PM

I got a solid 2 bars on the iBook in the exact location. If I move the 17 around some I can get 2 maybe 3 bars. I have a log home with 14-16" solid log walls. Where I have my 17 parked for the moment there is also a supporting log in the way. I guess the density of these massive logs would be a factor most wouldnt have to consider. Just moving it a little changes the reception dramatically.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 04:32 PM

Hmm...sounds to me the A/B reception antennas could be a bit too touchy.

The AlBook constantly montiors antenna A & antenna B, and will try to use whichever is getting the best reception, but it seems your log in the way is throwing a loop in it and it can't pick which works best. The same type of thing happens with my UHF Wireless Guitar Base, if there's a large object between a good deal of distance between me and my wireless base, it flucuates because it doesn't know which side of the object it needs to go around.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules