Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My iPod sucks!~

My iPod sucks!~
donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 01:31 PM

Excuse the title, but this thing keeps pissing me off. When I run with the iPod (secured in a neoprene case) i try to advance the track and it freezes up on me. This has happened every time ive run. Has this been a problem that anyone else has had? I have a 10 gig iPod. i never have a problem in the car, only when I try to advance songs quickly.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 03:14 PM

I suggest running the "restore" option of the ipod software update. mine had a bunch of little problems that were fixed when doing this.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 04:29 PM

If you hate it so much, feel free to send it to me.

donny31  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
If you hate it so much, feel free to send it to me.
I will whats your address and credit card number!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 04:52 PM

Hmm...have you tried resetting it? Try checking for those instructions at www.ipodlounge.com
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by donny31:
When I run with the iPod (secured in a neoprene case)
This is why I want an Ipod. However I wasn't sure if this could damage the harddrive or not. Have you had any HD problems because you run with your Ipod?

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 05:19 PM

Every couple of months I completely restore the software on my 'Pod, erasing and restoring my music. Although I've never had any software glitches, it seems like a simple and quick piece of preventative maintenance.

donny31  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by slffl:
This is why I want an Ipod. However I wasn't sure if this could damage the harddrive or not. Have you had any HD problems because you run with your Ipod?
it is the best for running and the new ones are even smaller --I got a great case to run with --its been a great experience, except when the iPod freezes --I restored the music and I havent been able to test it yet --I will get back to you

b00tang
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 05:10 PM

the guy i just bought a used 10 gig from had similar problems and ended up sending it in to apple to get it replaced (the one i am buying isn't the one that froze up on him)... i didn't get all the details but you can catch the story on www.xlr8yourmac.com forums... search for him, his handle is "dogcow"
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

SummitWynds
May 2, 2003, 05:31 PM

I run with my iPod and have never had any trouble. I have it in one of those iSkin cases. Its a 5 GB and almost full. HMMM, maybe time for a new one?

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by SummitWynds:
I run with my iPod and have never had any trouble. I have it in one of those iSkin cases. Its a 5 GB and almost full. HMMM, maybe time for a new one?
I have a 5GB iPod in an iSkin4iPod case... I use mine in my car, and find I need to reset it every time I get into the car... I've gotten in the habbit of doing it before even trying to use it...

It's annoying, but what am I gona do??? Doing an erase & re-install of the firmware had no effect, any of the times that I have tried it...

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 12:04 AM

That's so weird! I've had three iPods personally (5GB, 20GB, 30GB), and never a problem. It will freeze up once every few months, but it's completely 'cured' by a soft reset.

Possibly a hardware problem. Download the software updater, and run the 'Restore' fuction, which completely reinstalls the firmware. A corrupted installation could be the culprit. Otherwise, call apple and arrange for service.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by donny31:
I will whats your address and credit card number!
<shuts himself up>

Forum Links
Forum Rules