Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entering Text on PDF files

Entering Text on PDF files
LDCahan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 06:27 PM

here's the problem: I've downloaded a PDF file which is an application form. I can't use the Adobe Reader Text function to fill in the form (name, address and so on). I can drag the form onto Word 2004 and see it, but I can't figure out how to position and enter text to use word to fill out the form.

Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 06:32 PM

well if it's not a .pdf form that you can fill in, they probably expect you to print it out and fill it in by hand...
cpac

LDCahan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
well if it's not a .pdf form that you can fill in, they probably expect you to print it out and fill it in by hand...
But if I can load the file into word (I assume as a .tiff file) why shouldn't I be able to position text overlying the file?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by LDCahan:
But if I can load the file into word (I assume as a .tiff file) why shouldn't I be able to position text overlying the file?
Not sure what word is doing - it may even just be treating it as a .pdf - that it's displaying inline. As an inline image, I don't think it would necessarily normally put text on top of the image - but would make the text flow around the image in one way or another.

You could try telling word to use the .pdf as a background image - try asking the built-in help how to do this - but you may have to change the format of the .pdf for word to be able to use it as a background image.
cpac

LDCahan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Not sure what word is doing - it may even just be treating it as a .pdf - that it's displaying inline. As an inline image, I don't think it would necessarily normally put text on top of the image - but would make the text flow around the image in one way or another.

You could try telling word to use the .pdf as a background image - try asking the built-in help how to do this - but you may have to change the format of the .pdf for word to be able to use it as a background image.

THANKS!!! That seems the best solution--unfortunately, background doesn't print, but if I put the paper through the printer twice (once just using the pdf form, then the second time after I've filled it out), it works fine! Thanks. Saved me $300 for the full adobe software!

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 07:10 PM

glad to help - though if it's really a form that needs to be typed, you should write the company/organization that provided it and tell them to provide a .pdf form...
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules