Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook SE-will the DVD fit the original SE?

New iBook SE-will the DVD fit the original SE?
rado30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2000, 04:53 PM

I was just at Apples site checkin out the new iBooks and noticed that there shipping with DVD drives now, and a firewire port, and 466 mhz (nice upgrade).

My question is can the original iBook SE CD-rom be swapped out for the DVD-rom that are in the new iBooks?

Anyone have any opinion?

late

Misha
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2000, 05:29 PM

Physically I have little doubt the 1st gen SE could accomodate the 2nd gen SE's DVD drive, since both cases appear identical.

However, this is not an easy task as a good part of the iBook needs to be disassembled. Furthermore, the 1st gen iBook does not feature DVD video decoding, so even if you were able to get the drive to be recognized by the OS, you couldn't watch movies.

Now if not being able to watch movies isn't an issue, then you might be able to use regular DVD media... in fact, I'd say that you more than likely could do that.

Of course, then the question arises as to where you could find the DVD module on its own... Apple no doubt would charge you and arm and a leg for that part.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2000, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
Furthermore, the 1st gen iBook does not feature DVD video decoding, so even if you were able to get the drive to be recognized by the OS, you couldn't watch movies.
I was under the firm impression that DVD decoding has been handled by software only (i.e. without special decoding hardware) ever since the introduction of the slot-loading iMac, Lombard and Pismo PowerBook and PowerMac G4.

Escher

------------------
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
We need a real computer that is truly portable!
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Sep 14, 2000, 07:28 AM

The question should be whether or not a 300Mhz G3 can handle smooth DVD decoding through software.

Since the new ibook is still 66MHz bus, MOST of the motherboard is probably still the same, but that doesn't mean that they didn't move something to make the DVD fit or work.

Anyone gonna cannibalize 2 ibooks (1 new, i old) to see if the DVD unit fits and works in and old ibook?

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

iPaul UK
Senior User
Sep 14, 2000, 09:00 AM

Lets not forget that the new iBooks have double the video memory which must play a large part in smooth DVD playback. I would have thought the original iBooks 4meg video memory would be insufficient for DVD playback.

Grendel00
Sep 14, 2000, 01:44 PM

Just a correction, the lombard had a built in DVD decoder chip.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2000, 11:05 PM

Well, the developer note says the CD-ROM and the DVD drive of current Ibooks can't be swapped, so that does not bode well for this idea.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

smaffei
Banned
Sep 16, 2000, 10:12 PM

Well, actually, the Rage 128 (Mobility for iBooks and PBs) only aids in DVD playback. The software does the decoding and the graphics chip/RAM aid in video frame buffering and display.

To support the software decoding premise:

Apple DVD Player will not run with Macsbug installed. Why? The software contains CSS decoding code for DVDs (enabling play of the encrypted DVD data). To conform to the DVD consortium specs, Apple must insure that the decoding code can't be viewed or copied. Thus, the actual decoding code resides in the Apple DVD Player application.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by smaffei (edited 09-16-2000).]

Cipher13
Sep 16, 2000, 10:59 PM

Oh ok so thats why...
What about something like TMON? Can you use the DVD player while TMON is installed?
And anyway, there is a hack for DVD Player to allow it to run while Macsbug is installed...

Cipher13

AppleJacks
Sep 17, 2000, 10:46 AM

If I purchased a new ibook (no DVD) but later would like to have a DVD player installed...would that be possible? I'm just curious. Frankly, it's just a toy (expensive) that I would probably not use or need to use. But was just wondering if that's a possiblity?

Forum Links
Forum Rules