Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A hot item.

A hot item.
AdamSomers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 07:17 PM

I've been reading macnn.com for a few months. I listened to the predictions that the 15" al would be coming out in september. I waited and waited and when apple announced it on apple.com i was elated. However, after purchasing my powerbook i read the hundreds upon hundreds of threads here regarding white spots and other issues. I am compelled to report that after having this laptop for a few days there are no initial problems whatsoever. Everything looks and runs smoothly. I have not tested the battery life becuase it's irrelevant. OSX, which I had to learn when i got it, is a big change from my life's experience with windows. It is a thousand times better. I am having a great time with this this thing =] now all i need is max/msp

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 08:42 PM

Glad you got a good one. I to just switched from Windows, OS X was / still is a challenge to learn, but its worth it. Congrats

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 09:09 PM

I am hoping I will quickly adapt to OS X as well. Can anyone recommend any books or sites that might help?

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 09:48 PM

I like O'Reilly's book "Mac OS X in a Nutshell" (I'm a Unix admin by profession) but my girlfriend prefers "The Missing Manual".

Both good books, I think, but each has a different focus. Try picking one of them up in a bookstore, imagine a question you might ask about moving to a new OS (how do I burn a CD?... how do I type extended characters... etc.) and see how easily you can find the answer in that book.

Depending on the question you ask and how helpful you find the text, you may find neither of those books is right for you. Or both are.

Good luck with your new Mac!
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by EvanV:
I am hoping I will quickly adapt to OS X as well. Can anyone recommend any books or sites that might help?
i like this one.

http://osxfaq.com/

also this forum, as you already know is a great resource, try reading some of the threads in the OSX section titled something like "things you never knew about OSX"

Forum Links
Forum Rules