Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Took Macbook plunge and now the waiting begins

Took Macbook plunge and now the waiting begins
webb3201
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 05:33 PM

After months of debate, I sold the last of my Powerpc machines and ordered a Black Macbook from Apple. I really like the size as a great middle ground betweek my 12 and 15 machines. It also reminds me of my old Pismo. I cant wait to get the machine. I have the ram sticks waiting and will run it at max. I went with the 160gb drive option. So excited. Anything I should be worried about in the transition?

K
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 05:54 PM

I'm jealous. Have fun! Can't think of any problems you'll run into.

rnp614
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 06:23 PM

I ordered mine from macmall to avoid the tax and get in on the 100 buck rebate.

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 06:53 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I forgot to ship overnight..instead I left it at the default slow boat. Im calling now to see if I can cancel and go to Mac Mall.

rnp614
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I ordered mine through macmall wiht 2nd day shipping and it was still cheaper than going with apple through a student discount.

I even got a shuffle while I was at it

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 09:17 PM

Just saw a review online where the reviewer had chosen the expedited shipping whereas his office mate ordered a day after him, regular shipping. They both received theirs the same day. Go figure.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 01:59 AM

I ordered expedited shipping on my iMac a while back, as well as my MacBook currently being shipped. The iMac took a little over a week, and the MacBook is two days from one week as of today. However, my STM Alley bag (part of the same order) arrived yesterday.

A week really isn't that bad, considering I live in the middle of nowhere up in Canada. It sure is killing me waiting for that MacBook though!

Congrats on your BlackBook, Webb!
 Certified AppleCare Technician

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by webb3201 View Post
After months of debate, I sold the last of my Powerpc machines and ordered a Black Macbook from Apple. I really like the size as a great middle ground betweek my 12 and 15 machines. It also reminds me of my old Pismo. I cant wait to get the machine. I have the ram sticks waiting and will run it at max. I went with the 160gb drive option. So excited. Anything I should be worried about in the transition?
So, brands are your 12 and 15" laptops?

mrl14
Nov 30, 2006, 02:29 AM

Shipping is the biggest scam to get more money out of you. I got my MBP in exactly 6 days on the standard free shipping to Canada.

My friend just got a MB and yah you definitely need the max RAM. Does everyone here get Apple Care on their laptops?
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Nov 30, 2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
So, brands are your 12 and 15" laptops?
They were both G4 Macs.

I am about to bust waiting on this thing. My thought on shipping is that I just paid 1500 ish dollars, whats another 30-50 to get it the next day. Its much better than my checking the shipping status every hour for 6 days!

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 11:17 PM

They were both G4 Macs.

I am about to bust waiting on this thing. My thought on shipping is that I just paid 1500 ish dollars, whats another 30-50 to get it the next day. Its much better than my checking the shipping status every hour for 6 days!
I check my shipping status every hour anyways The tracking is really innaccurate. I find it's quite often 2 days behind. I'm really hoping it'll be here in time for the weekend.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2006, 03:19 AM

They were both G4 Macs.
Ahhh, I misunderstood. I read you sold all your PPC units and assumed you were referring to currently owned equipment.

rollem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 12:52 PM

I bought one last week and I got the 2 day shipping for a extra 20 bucks. i recieved it 4 days after i ordered it. I tracked the shipping and it came from china. Does anyone know if they make to order? This is my first mac, i still have my home pc (that I'll keep). I;ve been using my macbook alot these past few days and I must say it's a very good comp. I hope to learn alot about it in this forum...

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rollem View Post
I bought one last week and I got the 2 day shipping for a extra 20 bucks. i recieved it 4 days after i ordered it. I tracked the shipping and it came from china. Does anyone know if they make to order? This is my first mac, i still have my home pc (that I'll keep). I;ve been using my macbook alot these past few days and I must say it's a very good comp. I hope to learn alot about it in this forum...
I got lucky and they shipped Saturday Home delivery. I received the machine today and really like it so far. My memory upgrade has not arrived yet, so it does feel a bit slow. I really like the hardware, makes me think of my Pismo using OSX with a black bezel. The only thing I dont like is the ultra tight button on the trackpad. I may have to turn on tap to click. Otherwise, this is a great system.

k

Forum Links
Forum Rules