Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why is Eurovision so consistently crap?

Why is Eurovision so consistently crap?
tintub
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 07:41 AM

Is that really the best Europe have to offer? The songs, the outfits, the dancing - terrible!

So far I think the best song has been the Austrian guy followed by Tatu, and the Ukrainians had a cool blue contortionist. Currently on is Greece, some bird with the fakest looking tits I have ever seen.

[edit: OTOH, when she moves around, they do move a bit, maybe they ARE real...]

[edit2: and yeah I realise iI'm not watching it live here in Australia - we don't even get Terry Wogan )
( Last edited by tintub; May 25, 2003 at 07:49 AM. )

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
Is that really the best Europe have to offer?
The best Europe can offer is mostly techno and euro-pop. Nothing that would have a chance in a chanson contest with a target audience that is well older than 60.
So the only ones who participate are those losers who couldn't sell anything otherwise.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
May 25, 2003, 07:56 AM

It's never been the same since Bucks Fizz, has it?

That tearing off the skirt thing halfway through the act was quite arousing for pubescent boys, as I was at the time.

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by engaged:
It's never been the same since Bucks Fizz, has it?

That tearing off the skirt thing halfway through the act was quite arousing for pubescent boys, as I was at the time.
That was probably the best Eurovision song ever.

Here you go. Knock one out for old times sake

:XI:
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 08:32 AM

The guy on the left has Camels Toe!!!

pass the barf smilie please.

Eurovision has been crap for ages, I'm surprised anyone still watches it.

In fact:
Eurovision has always been crap, I'm surprised anyone ever watched it.

engaged
May 25, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
I'm surprised anyone still watches it.
Only out of morbid curiosity... like 'Big Brother'.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 08:57 AM

Abba won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974. Says it all really, doesn't it?

willed
Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Hey! You take that back, right now!

engaged
May 25, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
And back to the subject of pubescent boys, raging hormones, and the sudden realisation that you now have to keep tissue next to the bed...
( Last edited by engaged; May 25, 2003 at 10:41 AM. )

euphras
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 10:38 AM

The concept of the Eurovision song contest is dead, the should better cancel/kill the whole crap!

And then the crap-o-matic ARD (big and old german TV broadcaster) tops it all: The crap in Riga is finished, me thinks "Oh finally, thanks god!" and then the ARD starts a live broadcast from Berlin with some never seen before newbie moderators iterating and commenting the whole crap we�ve seen before in the contest interrupted by even worse singers and bands..............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Eurovision has been crap for ages, I'm surprised anyone still watches it.

In fact:
Eurovision has always been crap, I'm surprised anyone ever watched it.
If you are taking Eurovision seriously, then I have big news for U! This is just lighthearted entertainment with songs *anyone* can listen to and nobody likes. Eurovision is a chance for the countries of Europe to have fun with each other. Laugh at each other. Then get to vote! Totally brilliant in a cheesy family value entertainment kind of way. Note that while no serious artists compete from the most stuck up countries of Europe (UK, Sweden, Germany..) many of the other countries put out their best foot and best artists. Eurovision is a cultural bridge between the nations of Europe (and Turkey+Israel). Laugh at it, scorn it, whatever. It is wildly popular and for a good reason too. More than 200 million people watch this event every year, and I know I'll watch it in the years to come. (BTW. new rules in Eurovision starting next year!!)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Note that while no serious artists compete from the most stuck up countries of Europe (UK, Sweden, Germany..) many of the other countries put out their best foot and best artists.
I beg to differ.

Ralph Siegel (who wrote this year's German entry - and most others in teh past twenty years, including the now-classic winner from 1982 "Ein bisschen Frieden", performed by Nicole) is actually one of the most prolific contemporary somgwriters.

I hate his stuff, and was pleased that he didn't get to go for a few years as more humorous projects got hyped.

But to say he isn't "serious" is unfair.

-s*

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I beg to differ.

Ralph Siegel (who wrote this year's German entry - and most others in teh past twenty years, including the now-classic winner from 1982 "Ein bisschen Frieden", performed by Nicole) is actually one of the most prolific contemporary somgwriters.

I hate his stuff, and was pleased that he didn't get to go for a few years as more humorous projects got hyped.

But to say he isn't "serious" is unfair.

-s*
Every country has a settled "serious" songwriter, producer, artist that is probably really talented and all but burnt out like nothing else. I meant to say "cutting edge" artist or something.

iCol
Senior User
May 25, 2003, 04:09 PM

It's so blooming political though... I mean, I know the British entry was not the best, but it didn't deserve the 0 points it got! - This is what you get from the population of Europe when you join in a war none of them agree with.... nil point!

It's a laugh though, and you really have to love Terry Wogan (who does the British voiceover presenting) who sits through the whole thing making fun of the event, and the idiots they find to present the main show...

hehe

C
F is for Fooyork.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by iCol:
It's so blooming political though... I mean, I know the British entry was not the best, but it didn't deserve the 0 points it got! - This is what you get from the population of Europe when you join in a war none of them agree with.... nil point!

It's a laugh though, and you really have to love Terry Wogan (who does the British voiceover presenting) who sits through the whole thing making fun of the event, and the idiots they find to present the main show...

hehe

C
Actually I thought the UK got 0 points was because the female singer was off note the whole song.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 06:04 PM

Actually I thought the UK got 0 points was because the female singer was off note the whole song.
Come on! Her legs and dress should have given them a few points

I think you are both correct. Unpopular politics and singing off note the whole song will garanty that you will be the bottomfeeder.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 06:34 PM

Every country has a settled "serious" songwriter, producer, artist that is probably really talented and all but burnt out like nothing else. I meant to say "cutting edge" artist or something.
Ralph Siegel most definitely has absolutely not talent (except maybe having conceived one hot daughter).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 06:39 PM

I couldn't sit through the whole program for medical reasons (it makes me sick) but did you see those five Israeli chicks? Whoa!

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by iCol:

hehe

C
maybe UK got 0 because Jemini were CRAP???!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules