Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > airport disconnect after sleep

airport disconnect after sleep
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 09:30 PM

I've got a TiBook running 10.2.6 and a graphite ABS. Whenever my computer sleeps, the signal in the menu bar turns grey and I have to reselect the right airport network to get back online. In prefs I have the box by join a specific network checked and the password. All looks good, but this is getting annoying.

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2003, 10:33 PM

I have the same problem. When I wake my 12" Powerbook up from its sleep, I have to rejoin my airport wireless network here at my home. Any ideas anyone? I have the latest upgrades to the AE Base Station firmware as well as the latest software updates to my 12".

Thanks

Jim

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2003, 03:09 PM

This is something that happens. When the computer goes to sleep, it powers down the wireless card. Understand that 802.11b wireless uses something called Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum; it switches frequency in a specific order at a specific time. When the card is turned off, it loses track of where the rest of the network is, so it can't connect and you have to tell it to go through the process of finding and joining the network. What I don't understand is why the card can't figure out that it needs to go to the discovery process...

So you're experiencing what should be called a "known issue," though I don't think Apple is doing anything about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bsodmike
Jul 9, 2003, 01:25 AM

How ODD. I got a 15" here, and after sleep and wake up...it rejoins the network. Never been an issue for me. Only if the AEBS worked like it should.

*sigh*

Mike

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 06:30 AM

ii'll have to find mine my network, it'll either tell me i have wrong password or my computer isn't on some kinda list, have to umplug/replug dammit
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

wild eep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 11:24 PM

My 12" was doing this for a while on AEBS. My fix was to:

open SYSTEM PREFFERENCES, choose NETWORK, show:AIRPORT, select AIRPORT tab, check JOIN A SPECIFIC NETWORK, enter the network name and pw.

For some reason the "join network with best signal" was checked and everytime I woke from sleep I had to reconnect.

conrad javascript:smilie('')

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2003, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by wild eep:
For some reason the "join network with best signal" was checked and everytime I woke from sleep I had to reconnect.
Yup, never been able to get that one to work. However, connecting to the most recently used network or whatever seems to work fine.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Yup, never been able to get that one to work. However, connecting to the most recently used network or whatever seems to work fine.
Ya, I have mine set to 'Join most recently used available network' with the password box checked. If you change to this, you may need to re-enter your p/w, but it will remember it afterwards. I'm pretty sure my iBook will do what you are describing if I use either of the other two choices. As it is though, I have no problem with post-sleep reconnection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules