Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > incredibly good web hosting deal

incredibly good web hosting deal
tintub
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 12:14 AM

I got this from another forum:

http://order.1and1.com/

no use to me as I already have something.

quotes from the other (private unfortunately) forum:

So I read a comment by xix about 1&1 offering 3 years free, no obligation. And I'm like SCAM! Bastards! But hell no. I signed up yesterday. Have web space today, and bought a domain name for $5.99. Yes it is real. Had to share. Not shiTty hosting either, PHP, MySQL, the works.
Another guy replies:
Well we will see. Not that long ago, another one of these type deals were posted. Worked great. Everything was legit. About a month went by, and when I went to my site, it ( the whole server/company ) had changed into a pr0n site and my content gone. I was hit with multiple pop ups and 1 downloadable who know what.
... and then from same guy ...
After doing a little research about the company...it does look legit...damn nice deal.
tintub takes no reponsibility if this does turn out to be a scam, but it sounds like it's legit.

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 12:55 AM

It isn't a scam. But anything that is free in life must be taken with a grain of salt.

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2003, 02:12 PM

They placed a full two-page ad in the front of the most recent Wired magazine. With that kind of advertising budget, you'd think they'd be legit.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2003, 03:42 PM

You guys can go ahead and be the guinea pigs. I won't...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

You guys can go ahead and be the guinea pigs. I won't...
I bit... it doesn't need any credit card number, just a mailing address and then later you give them your phone number where a machine automatically calls you with a PIN number that you can enter and then later unlock your package. I was wondering, I should probably just be able to enter in a fake address right? They shouldn't actually need that it anyways...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by fromthecloud:
They placed a full two-page ad in the front of the most recent Wired magazine. With that kind of advertising budget, you'd think they'd be legit.
They also took the inside cover of the most recent IEEE magazine... crazy.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 04:48 PM

I've been hosting with them for over two years now, multiple domains and email accounts. No problems whatsoever. Really stable DNS, very reliable email servers.

The company started out in Germany a couple of years back and is growing rapidly. I can only recommend them.

tintub  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 05:49 PM

I just noticed it only seems to be for Americans and Canadians. That's a shame.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 04:00 PM

have any of you read the fineprint? are there any goofy "you need to stay with us for 3 more years after your free 3 years is up." things in it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules