Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMini service manual - got it

MacMini service manual - got it
jasonv1
Jan 22, 2005, 08:50 AM

PM me for a link.

Jason
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

jasonv1  (op)
Jan 22, 2005, 08:54 AM

This is the first apple service manual that says either:

Purchase an Apple modified putty knife. (Is that trademarked?)

OR

Purchase a putty knife at the store and use sandpaper "modify" it.
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 01:21 PM

PM sent
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

insha
Senior User
Jan 22, 2005, 06:38 PM

Your box is full. Send me an PM with the link.

Thanks.

MacBook
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 07:03 PM

Your box is full -- could you send a PM with the link, please?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 07:54 PM

Ditto.

jcain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 09:16 PM

One more, if you don't mind.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 09:54 PM

I wouldn't mind one as well please.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jan 22, 2005, 10:03 PM

I, for one, wouldn't mind the link.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2005, 10:19 PM

I would too if you don't mind.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 10:46 PM

Guys, there is a link at the top of Kevin Rose's website for the Service Source Mac mini.

http://www.kevinrose.com/

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by robby818:
Guys, there is a link at the top of Kevin Rose's website for the Service Source Mac mini.

thanks
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

MacBook
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2005, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by robby818:

Thanks for the link!

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2005, 07:31 AM

P
Jan 23, 2005, 09:01 AM

You don't happen to have the iMac G5 manual as well, do you?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 09:01 AM

This will be very helpful
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

jcain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 01:35 PM

Great, thanks!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 02:51 PM

It's kind of funny that they would reccomend using a Putty knife in the service manual. You would have figured they had some special Apple tool to open this thing.

sfseay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 02:57 PM

Please e-mail me a link at sfseay (at) yahoo.com

recogniser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
It's kind of funny that they would reccomend using a Putty knife in the service manual. You would have figured they had some special Apple tool to open this thing.
Hehe, they do. You can actually buy a special Apple brand putty knife, which they mention the part number for in the manual.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by recogniser:
Hehe, they do. You can actually buy a special Apple brand putty knife, which they mention the part number for in the manual.
If I get the Apple brand putty knife, can I buy Applecare for it?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 08:18 PM

This is illegal. Moderators, please delete this thread. This is exactly like saying "I have a copy of Tiger! PM me and I'll send it to you!"

Don't argue; it is. Even though there are websites on the internet that have the service manuals, they are distributing them illegally. If you don't have access to http://service.info.apple.com/ then you don't have the rights to have access to these files.

I know this because I have legal access to ALL of the service manuals for ALL Macs ever made. I read the agreement.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
This is illegal. Moderators, please delete this thread. This is exactly like saying "I have a copy of Tiger! PM me and I'll send it to you!"

Don't argue; it is. Even though there are websites on the internet that have the service manuals, they are distributing them illegally. If you don't have access to http://service.info.apple.com/ then you don't have the rights to have access to these files.

I know this because I have legal access to ALL of the service manuals for ALL Macs ever made. I read the agreement.
Are you serious? Are you four years old?
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by mattsgotredhair:
Are you serious? Are you four years old?
no, he's just saying what he thinks is true, which it probably is.
iamwhor3hay

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2005, 04:10 AM

Sounds like bull to me.

In most democracies (especially those that don't have some moronic DMCA), it is absolutely legal to read a document you find somewhere. You can even give it to your friends. If some company drops some booklet on the sidewalk, who's to blame, but the company itself, if somebody reads it. Well, welcome to the internet. The booklet got dropped on the net, I read it, I distribute it and there is nothing in the world Apple can do about it.

Maybe the guy that got it legally from Apple, but then put it on the net against his agreement with Apple might have done something illegal, but what do I care now? They should prevent the booklet from getting on the net, once it's there, they're out of luck. If Apple's not smart enough to keep this info secret, I have every right to read it, store it, distribute it. Apple's problem, not mine.

Reading the manual isn't illegal. Linking to it isn't illegal. This thread is absolutely OK.

And since we're talking about manuals, for those who don't know yet, this link here points to a list of service manuals of most Macs ever made. Sosumi.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 27, 2005 at 04:22 AM. )

Dr.Michael
Jan 27, 2005, 06:46 AM

I don't think thats true.
Owners of a Tiger preview sign a non disclosure agreement. This forbids explicitely to distribute a copy.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 07:52 AM

It's illegal to distribute a computer manual? The law being broken is.....?
i look in your general direction

em500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
It's illegal to distribute a computer manual? The law being broken is.....?
Copyright?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by em500:
Copyright?
That would only be against the law if someone was copying the text and claiming it was theirs and not giving proper credit for it. I believe that would be the only way it would be illegal.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 06:50 PM

That would only be against the law if someone was copying the text and claiming it was theirs and not giving proper credit for it. I believe that would be the only way it would be illegal.
What you are talking about is plagiarism, which is a type of copyright infringement. It would also be illegal if the copyright says "you may not distribute any part of this document in whole or in part without explicit permission from the document owner." It's illegal to buy a magazine, photocopy it, and redistribute it to other people for free (the FBI comes after you when you start charging). It's illegal to do the same thing with books. There are limitations to this. After something like 50 years, a book is considered to be in the public domain.

Apple's service manuals are not legally available for free. Anyone can get access to them for the $300 yearly subscription to the AppleCare Technician Training.

If I found a few sheets of paper that had a bunch of C++ on them, and then I typed this up, compiled it, and gave proper credit to the people that wrote the program originally, and redistributed it on the internet, I would likely be breaking some kind of end user licensing agreement, making the action illegal.

As far as non disclosure agreements, this implies to any and all information related to the existence of the piece of information in question. If someone signs an NDA and gets a copy of Tiger, they are not even allowed to tell people that Tiger exists (unless this is already public knowledge by some other means). If there is a feature of Tiger that no one knows about, they are not allowed to tell people about it. An NDA is VERY different from a copyright or end user licensing agreement. The copyright is what keeps people from distributing the software. The EUL is what says that despite the fact that you may have picked this up on the street, it still belongs to Apple. The NDA is what says "you better keep your mouth shut about this or we will do to you what we are doing to ThinkSecret.com."

That said, Apple likely doesn't really care, other than the fact that they aren't getting money. However, I'm one of the people that has to deal with the customers that fry their machine because they think they know enough just by reading the service manual. The eMac service manual does not discuss how not to kill yourself. The iMac slot load manual does not discuss how not to kill yourself when you are replacing the Power/Analog/Video board. The service manuals do not discuss ESD. They don't discuss Master/slave configuration or other more important software diagnostic procedures.

I can always tell when someone who doesn't know what they are doing has been inside a machine. If I can't tell by looking at the machine, then I really don't care if you have been in the machine. But even when you mail machines off to Apple, some of them don't know what they are doing (new employees and the likes)... and it shows.

This is still a thread helping people illegally trade copyrighted material.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

insha
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 08:46 PM

Mods while your at it, how about a side-order of banination for Detrius.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 03:45 AM

Ummm, you still haven't said what's illegal about it.

And unfortunately repeating the word 'illegal' a dozen times, doesn't make something legal become illegal, so you might want to enlighten us. How is showing something you found legally to others illegal in any country other than maybe North Korea or Syria?

Dr.Michael
Jan 28, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by insha:
Mods while your at it, how about a side-order of banination for Detrius.

insha, what kind of crap is that?

Detrius has some valid points.
1. Apple does not care about legal or illegal. They simply send their lawyers if something does not fit into their philosophy.
2. It is true that a circulating service manual may lead some smart guys to open their computer and cause trouble for the technicians afterwards. And for apple who gets the bad reputation when someone reports "I did exactly as described but now my iBook is dead" (for example in forums like this one).

That said I think it is undesirable for apple to see these manual being distributed. But it cannot be illegal. It was surely Illegal to make it public for the ONE PERSON who did not follow his NDA. Unless the manual itself has a passage that forbids redistibution (it has not) how should anyone know?

So don't discuss silly things. International law is a very complicated problem and it becomes even more complicated with the internet. Simply wait until some lawyer asks macnn to remove the link. So long use the information at your own risk.

And if my point 2 is valid: Mac users are literally going to pay for their failures. And we all know: apple's service fees are extraordinary.

em500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Simon:

And unfortunately repeating the word 'illegal' a dozen times, doesn't make something legal become illegal, so you might want to enlighten us. How is showing something you found legally to others illegal in any country other than maybe North Korea or Syria?

Apple service manuals are copyrighted and should be treated like any other non-public domain book. Reading it isn't illegal. Linking to it probably isn't. Copying and distribution are, unless you have permission from the author/publisher.

em500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 06:47 AM

You can't be serious, do you really believe anyone can copy and distribute any copyrighted text as long as they don't claim it's their own? You can believe all you want, but that isn't quite how copyright works.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 06:47 AM

Apple service manuals are copyrighted and should be treated like any other non-public domain book. Reading it isn't illegal. Linking to it probably isn't. Copying and distribution are, unless you have permission from the author/publisher.
Bingo. And since this thread offers nothing but legal links there is no problem with this thread at all.

em500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:

[...]

That said I think it is undesirable for apple to see these manual being distributed. But it cannot be illegal. It was surely Illegal to make it public for the ONE PERSON who did not follow his NDA. Unless the manual itself has a passage that forbids redistibution (it has not) how should anyone know?

[...]

The last Apple service manual I saw says something like
(C) 2001 Apple Computer Inc
on the front page. What a lot of people on this can't seem to get through their heads is that an Apple service manual is just like any other copyrighted non-fiction book. Don't go around spreading copies like it's public domain, it isn't.

Dr.Michael
Jan 28, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Bingo. And since this thread offers nothing but legal links there is no problem with this thread at all.
In the internet a link is the one method to distibute, isn't it?

But this thread does not link to the file, it links to a page that links to the file. So I also don't think that macnn allows somthing illegal. It does not distribute. It links to a place of distribution.

Its like saying: I know where you can buy H. Thats not illegal although selling H is.

Dr.Michael
Jan 28, 2005, 07:07 AM

The last Apple service manual I saw says something like
(C) 2001 Apple Computer Inc
on the front page.
Oh yes, you are right. It does (bottom right corner).

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 09:20 AM

No it's not.
i look in your general direction

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2005, 01:40 PM

If I were to post a link to something like www.bi-torrent.com, a site where you are able to download commercial books, audio, video, etc. (I'm sure the Apple service manuals have been posted there too) I have done nothing wrong. However, the original poster solicited others to send him a PM asking for the copyrighted material, this may not be illegal either (I'm not sure about that) but when/if he sends the copyrighted material to anyone then he has committed a crime in the United States and many other countries as well. It would be the same as If I said I had Microsoft Office in a .DMG file and you should PM me to send it to you. The distribution is definitely illegal.

Since Packages of Apple's service manuals have been circulating on the net for years and Apple has not attempted to stop it in the past there may be a possibility that their copyrights on this material could be declared invalid, but until that happens distribution of this material is illegal.

I personally don't agree with many of the laws in the US, and I did download the manual in question from the linked web site, but saying that it is not illegal is just incorrect.
--Laurence

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 01:43 PM

You can't be serious, do you really believe anyone can copy and distribute any copyrighted text as long as they don't claim it's their own? You can believe all you want, but that isn't quite how copyright works.
No of course not. If they don't ask permission to do so then it is illegal. If permission is not given then it is illegal.

insha
Senior User
Jan 28, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
<SNIP>
The same kind of crap that is invoking the mods without proper explanation.

Simon says

And unfortunately repeating the word 'illegal' a dozen times, doesn't make something legal become illegal, so you might want to enlighten us.

jasonv1  (op)
Jan 28, 2005, 07:41 PM

Laugh....

I was just trying to help. I didn't put the thing on eDonkey or any torrent site, just here. Considering most people on this board spend a lot of money on Apple products, I had no moral qualms about it. It isn't like I am taking requests or something.

BTW my PM inbox is empty again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules