Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can I upgrade my Mini's ram?

Can I upgrade my Mini's ram?
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 12:04 PM

I'm sure the answer is yes, but I went to the apple website and they don't list the Mini on their page to find new ram. I'm afraid this means I will void my warantee if I try to upgrade myself, or that it is extremely difficult to do it. Has anyone out there successfully upgraded the ram in their new Mini?

I've got the Intel core duo mini with 512 MB ram and multitasking can be challenging at times, especially when running iTunes.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 12:21 PM

It isn't trivial (i.e. designed to be user-replacable as with other Macs), and there are plenty of opportunities to screw up, but with care, it IS possible. Watch the appropriate video at Other World Computing. Plenty of owners have done it. Just keep the original memory so you can put it back in if you have to take the unit in for warranty work.

spittingangels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 01:44 PM

Apple has said that it does not void your warranty if you choose to upgrade your RAM yourself. However, if you damage any other components while you are in the process, you did just void your warranty.

ghporter
Administrator
May 30, 2006, 07:56 PM

So be careful when you do it! Aside from the complexity of opening a Mini (I'm assuming the Intel Mini is as complex to open up as a PPC Mini), it's not somthing that a normally coordinated person should be afraid of. As long as you take your time and proceed carefully, of course!

There's another reason to keep the factory RAM: you can use it to troubleshoot the computer if you run into problems later. Some computer problems come from weird sources, so if you can prove (to yourself) that a problem exists with factory RAM and your upgrade RAM, you've proven it's nothing to do with the RAM.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Birdy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 11:52 PM

Go here:

http://www.apple.com/support/diy/

There's all kinds of good inf about do-it-yourself upgrades and repairs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules