Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini- Beachball

Mac Mini- Beachball
brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 28, 2006, 12:50 PM

Ive had this core duo mini since september 1.66 512MB RAM. This computer beachballs like 5-10 times a day, even with using safari and just basic tasks.. even in iTunes it beachballs. Ive done a complete OS reload and it still does it even after its fresh.. Its horribly slow.. Ive taken it into the apple store numerous times and they still cant figure it out. Occasionally Ill get kernel panics as well and sometimes the fan kicks onto high.. little thing sounds like a jet engine

Any Ideas

ibook_steve
Dec 28, 2006, 02:40 PM

Have you tried replacing the RAM or adding more? 512 MB is really insufficient.

Steve

brokecollegestudentF04  (op)
Banned
Dec 28, 2006, 11:59 PM

it passed the ram test.. my eMac 700 shouldnt be blowing the doors off the mini like it is the eMac is running tiger under 256MB RAM/40GB HD... the geniuses cant figure it out.. i have to use my eMac all the time because the mini is horribly slow.. i get the nice spinning beachball quite often.. more than 5 times a day

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by brokecollegestudentF04 View Post
it passed the ram test.. my eMac 700 shouldnt be blowing the doors off the mini like it is the eMac is running tiger under 256MB RAM/40GB HD... the geniuses cant figure it out.. i have to use my eMac all the time because the mini is horribly slow.. i get the nice spinning beachball quite often.. more than 5 times a day
that's how mine gets sometimes. weird. and does your airport go out when you don't use it for like 10 minutes?

YAYYYYYY 500TH POSTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WEE EE EE E E E EYEREJK ALKFJH kjha fjkasdhf;oih!!!!!!!!!!!HOT!!!!!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Banned
Dec 29, 2006, 10:27 AM

yup.. my airport does the same thing.. apple dont know whats wrong.. ive demanded a replacement but they cant do anything

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 11:24 AM

Like Steve said, your RAM is not sufficient, upgrade it to 1gb.

Banned
Dec 29, 2006, 11:56 AM

ah to hell with it im not bothering with it.. ebay here it goes.. ill go back to the eMac until after macworld

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 05:39 AM

I third that motion. My mini core duo did the same thing until I maxed out the RAM. Now it runs like a champ. Haven't seen a beachball since.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jan 1, 2007, 02:10 AM

Sounds weird, I don't even get a beachball on my iBook Clamshell with 576MB of ram and OS X Tiger!
iMac G4 / Macbook

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 02:53 AM

those mac minis eat RAM. feed it. it will be nicer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules