Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Canon S30 v. Sony P9

View Poll Results: Sony P9 v. Canon S30 which is better?
Poll Options:
Sony P9 1 votes (16.67%)
Canon S30 5 votes (83.33%)
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll
Canon S30 v. Sony P9
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2003, 07:58 AM

A simple question really. I can pick either camera for my personal use, but I am having a hard time deciding which one I want to keep.

I was leaning towards the Sony P9 because its a 4MP camera, lighter and has a strong flash. But I have experienced problem with too much noise in the photos taken and lack of defenition. I think the camera may be limited by its crap lense. Also it lacks sufficient manual controls for AF control, shutter speed etc.

S30 is nice despite the fact that its only 3MP. I think good optics make up for lack of megapixels (when compared to the Sony). It also has nice manual controls ...

Anyhow, I'd like to see what people have to say. You know 2 cents from everyone on the board ... and I'll have a million in a little while

nugraphix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 10:31 AM

Canon everytime - better lens

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2003, 10:54 AM

Hmm, not much enthusiasm here. But I think it is going to be Canon S30. I just need to wait till the 16th of Feb to get my hands on it.

Is there a good RAW/TIF converter for OS X? Also does anyone have ICC Profiles or Photoshop Actions tuned for Canon S30 to deal with linearity problem of RAW/TIF?

Arch.
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 02:45 AM

I do mostly macros with the s30. It really sucks for this. You have to spend a lot of time dialing in the focus. The Auto focus on that camera is Shat. But when you get id dialed in it gives pretty good results. Just my experience with the thing.....

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2003, 01:45 AM

I would get the canon over the sony. Both are good brands, but in this kind of comparison the canon's will usually win. I just got a s230 digital elph not to long ago (3.2mp) and it's a great camera. Got it for fun b/c my fugi finepix 4900Z is too big to keep in my pocket. The s230 fits in the carpenter pocket in my jeans.... haha... smaller than a pack of cigs

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 01:05 PM

The Canon File Viewer is a pretty decent RAW conversion scheme. I haven't found any proper linear correction actions for Photoshop (those designed for the CMOS D30 and D60 dslrs produce horribly neon colors) so I just use non-linear for RAW conversion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules