Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with 98 and OS X!

Help with 98 and OS X!
def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 03:04 AM

Well, I had 2000 on this old computer which was used for capping old videos for my Video Art class. But 2000 became too slow and so I formatted it and put 98 on. Thus, making the current problem. 2000 networked fine with my iBook, I set it to Windows File Sharing and everything went dandy. But with 98, they don't even see each other, and I'm in a hard spot. I'm writing his now, and it's like 2 AM and I need to get this working before 5 PM tomorrow or I am so in trouble. Can anyone offer some advice or knowledge? Ugh, thanks before hand.

def H H H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 12:06 PM

Argh, come on people.

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 12:45 PM

What do you mean 'can't see each other'?

Can you ping by IP address?

If not, then the electric string is broke or the IP addresses are misconfigured.

If you can, then can you ping by name?

If not, stick with IP addresses.

If you can ping, which way? Both ways or just one way? If you can ping both ways then you are ready to try networking ...

Get this far and then repost - I'm fed up with typing "if..."
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

def H H H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 01:51 PM

Nope it won't even ping with the IP or the computer name. Thanks...guess I'll have to put 2000 back on. I'm screwed.

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 04:33 PM

If the 98 box can't ping the mac, then there is something wrong with the connection. I can't figure out how a properly configured mac can fail to respond to a ping, wherever it came from. Before you give up completely I'd check the IP addresses and the cabling (and if using a cross-over cable, remove, temporarily, any hubs/ switches/ routers involved ) it'll be easier to fix that than to go through all the pain of reinstalling 2000 just to find that the IP address that you thought was on the mac, wasn't!
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2003, 04:34 PM

First off, REINSTALLING Win2K was the better solution to a slow computer over changing the OS. Anyway, 98 networks just fine, as long as you make sure you do the leg work in settings. You have to share something, a folder, a printer, whatever, before a 98 machine shows up on a network. Next, go to network properties and make sure that you give it an IP address, which means ensuring that TCP/IP is bound to your NIC (which 2K takes care of for you...).

See how that works and let us know.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

def H H H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 06:28 PM

Well, christ, it won't ping at all. And I'm not using a cross over, just a regular ethernet cable.

And Porter, I gave it an IP, it didn't have one. I found this nice site that "gave" instructions to connecting 98 with OS X, and I put share on the C Drive and all that stuff with the settings. I don't know what's missing.

Oh, and Porter, the computer came with 98, it was a gift some old woman gave me. It's like 300MHZ. I had a faster PC, but I gave it to my mother. The 98 that was on was full of viruses and so, it just put 2000 on. Ah, I should've left it there.

http://gordon.sourcecod.com/sites/wi...xfileshare.php

Thanks for your help guys, I think I might try another ethernet card, but the internet runs fine on that PC, so that can't be it I don't think.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2003, 07:52 PM

If you have great Internet connectivity, then the problem isn't that computer.

Please explain (carefully, I'm kind of slow sometimes ) exactly how your computers are connected. If you are using the same cable to connect the PC to your broadband modem and your Mac, that's probably the problem, and a crossover cable is the solution (ONLY for connecting the two computers together! Use the straight cable to connect between any computer and the modem).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

def H H H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 08:03 PM

No, I'm not sharing an internet connection. I take my ethernet cable out the mac, and use a new cable to connect the two computers together. And that's it. I turn on Windows Sharing and then go on to the PC and go into Network Neighborhood...nothing shows up there but it's self. If that makes any sense. But, yeah, that's about it.

But see, when I had 2000 on, I never used a crossover cable and it worked fine. The straight cable did okay.

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 06:24 AM

Some macs (including my 533MP and TiPB) have auto-sensing ethernet ports, and a crossover cable is not required. I don't know if your ibook has this autosensing port, and therefore I suggested a crossover cable for safety, as that will always work. If you had your ibook networking with the 200 box using a regular cable, then ipso facto it must have an autosensing port.

That's that one cleared up.

Next. I don't understand the combination of " the internet runs fine on that PC" and "I take my ethernet cable out the mac, and use a new cable to connect the two computers together"

If your PC connects to the internet via the ethernet port, it may be set to 'get IP address from host' - to connect to a mac locally this must be changed to 'manual IP address', and manually set something like 192.168.0.10, and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Similarly, if your Mac connects to the internet via the ethernet port, it may be set to 'get IP address from host' - to connect to a mac locally this must be changed to 'manual IP address', and manually set something like 192.168.0.11, and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

When this is set up, go to the DOS box and open a DOS window, and type 'ping 127.0.0.1' (and press return!). If this fails, you are screwed, because you aren't even using the NIC at this point, you are pinging internally in the DOS box. This is reinstall country.

If 'ping 127.0.0.1 ' works, then open another DOS window, and type 'ping 192.168.0.11'. If this fails, you are again screwed, because the connectivity can't get any simpler and survive.
Chris. T.

def H H H  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 03:08 PM

Thanks christ, but I reformatted last night and put 2000 back on, before your reply.

And what I meant earlier was, I'm in my dorm room, and I have one ethernet cord for the internet. Sometimes it's in the iBook, sometimes it's in the PC. But I also have a seperate cord for connecting the two computers. See? So, I take the internet ethernet cord out of which ever computer it's in, and put the other cord in to connect the two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules