Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Everyone please come in and help me on this one!

View Poll Results: It's an ad for a product related to...
Poll Options:
Traveling 3 votes (10.34%)
Health/Medical 10 votes (34.48%)
Luxurious Consumable 5 votes (17.24%)
Others - and if the answer is on the next page then i would like to find out 3 votes (10.34%)
Others - and i think the ad won't draw much attention when i skim through a mag 8 votes (27.59%)
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
Everyone please come in and help me on this one!
Sealobo
Feb 13, 2003, 01:02 AM

The following image is the first page of a 2-page advertisment... without showing you the 2nd page, what kind of product do you think that the ad is trying to sell?

Thank you very much for your help~!

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 01:12 AM

Personally, I prefer being paid to do market research.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Pikeman:
Personally, I prefer being paid to do market research.
Well... my friend coming out of college is starting up a small company and I am doing this for him for free.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 01:23 AM

Is it something to do with ripping off Apple desktops?

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Is it something to do with ripping off Apple desktops?
Yup.

Becasue this is just a draft, i did this in 20 mins.

(you think i wouldn't realize the fact that many of you would notice? )

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 01:26 AM

Heh, yeah. I don't mind the background being a desktop wallpaper, but it's the very first thing I noticed. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Hmmm, it looks professional though.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by def H H H:
Heh, yeah. I don't mind the background being a desktop wallpaper, but it's the very first thing I noticed. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Hmmm, it looks professional though.
Thanks~

This post is actually a shameless bump, i need a little bit more votes to get it statistically right. PLEASE VOTE~!

edit: all i need is 30 votes... and then i will go hide and screw myself.
( Last edited by Sealobo; Feb 13, 2003 at 02:47 AM. )

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by sealobo:
Yup.

Becasue this is just a draft, i did this in 20 mins.

(you think i wouldn't realize the fact that many of you would notice? )
Ithought it was going to be a option in the poll.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 03:39 AM

<puts on lecturer's hat>

Don't ever assume that people are even remotely interested in your ads. The average ad in a magazine gets attention time of 1/10th of a second and less.

Meaning to get people to read what you have to say you have to stop them in their tracks and give them a reason to. Teaser ads are only effective if the tease you're putting out holds the promise of entertainment, information or value. IMO your ads does neither. By the second line your average reader will be bored and will have flicked the page. Your poll here at macnn is flawed because you're putting this ad in front of people and ask them if they'd like to see the second page. You're ignoring the natural environment where this ad will eventually have to compete for attention in. So, your poll is meaningless.
IMO it's just not a very good ad. It doesn't entertain, it doesn't inform, it doesn't add value to my life <takes off lecturer's hat>

Why should you even think about listening to the patronizing twaddle I've just written? I do that sort of thing for a living. Have done for 16 years now and plan to do it for quite a bit longer.

Give us the preposition you're working from and then put up some of your ideas maybe. That way you'll get a fairer view of what works and what doesn't. Alternatively ignore all of the above as the ramblings of a madman.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
<puts on lecturer's hat>

Don't ever assume that people are even remotely interested in your ads. The average ad in a magazine gets attention time of 1/10th of a second and less...

...Give us the preposition you're working from and then put up some of your ideas maybe. That way you'll get a fairer view of what works and what doesn't. Alternatively ignore all of the above as the ramblings of a madman.
Thanks for your input.

I don't mean to stop the readers' flipping by this page of the ads alone. This page (1 of 2) is not supposed to give details of the product that my friend is trying to sell.

Flip to the next page, the 2nd page of the ad shows up (2 of 2). using the same sheme, the readers should find themselves looking at something familiar. Some of them might even flip back to check out the first page of the ad again. the 2nd page is suppose to be more informative, but i guess i shouldn't post it here...

By the way, the final draft of the ad targets the people who can afford a $2,000 USD vacuum cleaner for home use.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 04:20 AM

Thanks for your input.

I don't mean to stop the readers' flipping by this page of the ads alone. This page (1 of 2) is not supposed to give details of the product that my friend is trying to sell.

Flip to the next page, the 2nd page of the ad shows up (2 of 2). using the same scheme, the readers should find themselves looking at something familiar. Some of them might even flip back to check out the first page of the ad again. the 2nd page is suppose to be more informative, but i guess i shouldn't post it here...

By the way, the final draft of the ad targets the people who can afford a $2,000 USD vacuum cleaner for home use.

Forgive me.

Ok, I am a Creative Director for one of the bigger advertising agency networks on the planet. I am sure you've seen some of the commercials I've worked on. If one of my creative teams would come up with what you've just shown me my comments would be as such:

You're wasting money. Media space has to be paid for. On your first page you're not giving any information, add no value and don't create interest. So, why should our client pay for that page?

If the product is a vacuum cleaner with an incredibly advanced filter system (I am assuming here) our target market will be as such:

Allergy sufferers

Asthma sufferers

Above average income families that are worried about airborne pollution after hoovering.

Tell them what it is all about. You're making a classic mistake. You're assuming that the consumer is as fascinated by your product as you are. This is not the case. If you're selling a hoover with these advanced features, for a lot of money, tell me how these features add value to my life. Then I might buy into the idea of giving you my money.

Right now, you're wasting your friends money on media costs you cannot possibly justify. The job of an ad is to sell. It can achieve that goal by providing information, entertainment or value. The job of an ad is not to make the creator look clever.

Anyway, that's all my ramblings. The madman comment from above still applies. Feel free to totally ignore me now

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 04:29 AM

You know what really sucks?

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 04:34 AM

Forgive me.

Ok, I am a Creative Director for one of the bigger advertising agency networks on the planet. I am sure you've seen some of the commercials I've worked on. If one of my creative teams would come up with what you've just shown me my comments would be as such...

...Anyway, that's all my ramblings. The madman comment from above still applies. Feel free to totally ignore me now
Again, thanks for your input.

I need to spend some time and think about that.

By the way, this "vacuum cleaner" that my friend is selling doesn't have a filter. I am not kidding. Basically it uses water to "filter" the inpurity of the air it sucks in. It's German technology.

(Forgive my work and idea, afterall i am an economist, not an artist~ I am always interested in the field of design though. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 04:42 AM

Again, thanks for your input.

I need to spend some time and think about that.

By the way, this "vacuum cleaner" that my friend is selling doesn't have a filter. I am not kidding. Basically it uses water to "filter" the inpurity of the air it sucks in. It's German technology.

(Forgive my work and idea, afterall i am an economist, not an artist~ I am always interested in the field of design though. )
No, forgive ME for sticking my oar in.

I can be hired for freelance projects, you know. For a not unreasonable fee. Should you decide you'd like some help with this

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 13, 2003, 04:47 AM

Too much unused space.

And the background offers no focal point.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 04:48 AM

No, forgive ME for sticking my oar in.

I can be hired for freelance projects, you know. For a not unreasonable fee. Should you decide you'd like some help with this
Ha~ as you might noticed... i am doing this for free for my friend... not because i am a particularly nice guy, but my friend is really tight on budget.

Anyway, somehow he got the distributionship of this amazing product.

Furthermore, I guess this is not a job flashy enough for a CD of a big ad company...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 04:57 AM

Ha~ as you might noticed... i am doing this for free for my friend... not because i am a particularly nice guy, but my friend is really tight on budget.

Anyway, somehow he got the distributionship of this amazing product.

Keep it cheap then. If the budget isn't much I somehow doubt you'll be running double page ads. Heck, I doubt you'll be running colour ads.

Look into PR as a cheap alternative of getting coverage. Talk to journalists, especially those working for healh related publications. Getting a write up in a magazine is free and effective.

Bus advertising tends to be cheap. And is pretty effective. Find out where your target market hangs out (figuratively speaking) then target your communication efforts there.

Right, enough for now. Otherwise I'll have to send in an invoice

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Too much unused space.

And the background offers no focal point.
It's a layout, not a finished product. The background is supposed to symbolise clean air as far as I can see.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 05:07 AM

Keep it cheap then. If the budget isn't much I somehow doubt you'll be running double page ads. Heck, I doubt you'll be running colour ads.

Look into PR as a cheap alternative of getting coverage. Talk to journalists, especially those working for healh related publications. Getting a write up in a magazine is free and effective.

Bus advertising tends to be cheap. And is pretty effective. Find out where your target market hangs out (figuratively speaking) then target your communication efforts there.

Right, enough for now. Otherwise I'll have to send in an invoice
So far he invested $150,000 USD for getting the distributorship and minimum inventory holding and such.

The expenditure of placing ad in targetted mags is relatively small.

Thanks for all the stuff you suggested, we might need to try the Bus-ad later.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 13, 2003, 05:09 AM

It's a layout, not a finished product. The background is supposed to symbolise clean air as far as I can see.
That's right, the background symbolizes the clean air. (Er... of course a CD can tell... lol)

Again, i won't use this picture in the final draft... it's a bit too colorful, and i don't want to steal it from Apple.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 05:24 AM

That's right, the background symbolizes the clean air. (Er... of course a CD can tell... lol)

Again, i won't use this picture in the final draft... it's a bit too colorful, and i don't want to steal it from Apple.
Very briefly, but you've said you're an economist? With the greatest possible respect you're probably not the best qualified person to come up with an advertising campaign and strategy. This isn't meant to be a slur on your doubtless manyfold talents. If your friend has just spend a considerable sum on his dealership, please make him spend some money on marketing. I don't buy an expensive car and then let it be serviced by my neighbour's kid who likes tinkering, no offence. Find someone who knows what they're doing and then pay them to do it. If they're any good their services will pay for themsleves through more and better business.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 08:01 AM

A $2000.00 vacuum cleaner?!? Holy ! My first guess (before scrolling down) was some sort of air purifier for your home. Anyway, good luck to your friend selling vacuum cleaners for 2k. Then-again, who knows? Maybe it'll take-off just like the "opti-grab" did in the movie "The Jerk" starring Steve Martin (and trhose that have seen it know how that turned out)

MikeM

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 08:22 AM

Mastrap, you don't mind if I write all this down do you?

Great stuff

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 08:37 AM

Very briefly, but you've said you're an economist? With the greatest possible respect you're probably not the best qualified person to come up with an advertising campaign and strategy. This isn't meant to be a slur on your doubtless manyfold talents. If your friend has just spend a considerable sum on his dealership, please make him spend some money on marketing. I don't buy an expensive car and then let it be serviced by my neighbour's kid who likes tinkering, no offence. Find someone who knows what they're doing and then pay them to do it. If they're any good their services will pay for themsleves through more and better business.
So, to sum up: "YOU'RE NOT QUALIFIED!"

Now where's the machine that goes "ping!"?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 09:26 AM

A $2000 vacuum cleamer????

Here I thought you were advertising planet Earth to potential alien invaders!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules