Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook 12" Boot into OS 9?? help!

PowerBook 12" Boot into OS 9?? help!
jmousseau44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 08:59 PM

Can anyone out there tell me if it is possible to rig this little gem to boot into OS 9? I still have some audio apps/vsti's that haven't been ported yet so I'm bummin' man. And "Classic" can't cut it to run audio apps. Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!!!

Jason

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by jmousseau44:
Can anyone out there tell me if it is possible to rig this little gem to boot into OS 9? I still have some audio apps/vsti's that haven't been ported yet so I'm bummin' man. And "Classic" can't cut it to run audio apps. Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!!!

Jason
its been stated that all new recently hardware cant be boot OS9. do a search & you will find numerous threads on this subject......
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 10:09 PM

RMXO is correct - none of the newly-released Macs will boot into OS 9 - neither of the Aluminum PowerBooks, nor the new 17" iMac G4's (although the 15" iMac still will), nor will the new Firewire 800 Towers. OS 9 can be used with these in "Classic," only.

This is one of the strong selling points of the 15" Titanium PowerBook yet - it will boot OS X or OS 9.

The only other Macs to boot OS 9 now are the iBook, the eMac, and the 15" G4 iMac.

iBorg

jmousseau44  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 01:15 AM

...well that really does suck but I appreciate the response. I think it could probably be done but it must be a firmware issue because I've tried everything I can think of and the 12"er won't recognize a nine system disk...

thanks again, time to do some thread searching....

jm

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2003, 02:04 AM

You might try this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21014054815580

If it works, let me know. I'm not optimistic, though, given it was designed for 2002 iBooks and similar machines.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 03:15 PM

That wont get the computer to boot into OS 9. From what I've read, OS 9 has to be updated to work with new hardware. Since this isn't going to happen, booting OS 9 will be impossible on new hardware. No hacks will be able to change this...

jmousseau44  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 03:54 PM

...man. oh well, just hope developers out there take note of this for their existing apps!

take care all,
i'm off to have a beer...

jm

hipHippy
Banned
Feb 15, 2003, 03:57 PM

Jason
r u serious, you bought a 12inch thinking it would boot in os9

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by hipHippy:
r u serious, you bought a 12inch thinking it would boot in os9
Dude, WHAT is your problem? Were you dropped on your head repeatedly as a child or something?

Altair
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 07:28 PM

I don't know much about it but have you tried mac on linux? www.maconlinux.org I dont know how fast this is but it might be better than classic.

mikerally
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 09:32 AM

The only other Macs to boot OS 9 now are the iBook, the eMac, and the 15" G4 iMac.
Look again at the 15 inch G4 iMac:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...mous|164555876

TIL 86209: Some Computers Only Start Up in Mac OS X

These machines are:
- The Aluminium Powerbooks, 12 inch and 17 inch.
- The Power Macintosh G4 with built in Firewire 800.
- The 1Ghz 17 inch Flat Panel iMac
- The 15 inch Flat Panel iMac (made in 2003 or later) which have the serial xx305xxxxxx.

These machines still boot Mac OS 9 and are still available to buy from Apple:
- All iMacs (G3)
- All iBooks
- All eMacs
- Titanium Powerbook G4 (15 inch)
- Power Macintosh G4 Dual 1.25Ghz (last year's model with no Firewire 800).

Apple's product line is split in half at the moment by this, expect the entire lineup to only boot Mac OS X after June 30th of this year.

Mac OS 9's time is up.

Feb 17, 2003, 01:57 PM

I still have some audio apps/vsti's that haven't been ported yet so I'm bummin' man. And "Classic" can't cut it to run audio apps. Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!!!
same boat as far as VST plugins go. kinda lame... but i have been working around not using certain non-carbon ones lately as not to go through the hassle of rebooting into 9 (with my Tibook)... when my 17" gets here my plan is to boot into FW Target Disk Mode and boot another computer off of its classic folder... i *think* that should work. for "emergency" situations that is... i have an old(er) G4 tower that i am not getting rid of anytime soon... so that should work fine.

jmousseau44  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 09:07 AM

That's an idea....

thanks again for the input folks,

Jason

MikeyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2003, 08:42 PM

I agree man!

I normally browse these pages for info and had the same line of questioning to follow.
I would like to know if you could boot OS9 on the ALbooks - i was under initial impressions that you couldn't - I've just looked on UK applestore at the specs - check out the 12" - it says that it's supplied with OS9 and OSX - same wording as with the 15". Only the 17" states that it is supplied with OSX. I've a sad feeling that the latter will apply to the 12" - nice one apple for adding to the confusion - unless of couse, it does actually boot inOS9 as well!

Mar 11, 2003, 08:50 PM

I've just looked on UK applestore at the specs - check out the 12" - it says that it's supplied with OS9 and OSX - same wording as with the 15". Only the 17" states that it is supplied with OSX.
it includes OS9 for classic compatibility. i have 2 12" powerbooks and they do not boot into OS9... unless there is some *trick* to get it to work...

Forum Links
Forum Rules