Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Wrong to use a huge dictionary?

Wrong to use a huge dictionary?
galarneau
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 10:54 AM

I'm working on an app that stores all of it's data in a dictionary, and writes it to disk for permanent storage.

I wrote a test scenario that made a test dictionary with 50,000 items, and then wrote it to disk. I then made another app to read it back into memory.

The question is: Is this bad form? What is the appropriate way to store a large amount of data on disk and have it available for random access?

To get an idea of what this app does, it is a training log for triathlon training, and each entry into the log is an item in my dictionary.

Thanks for the feedback.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 12:50 PM

Well, iirc, a hashtable is O(n) unless it has a lot of collisions, so adding more elements shouldn't increase the access time. It'll take up a lot of memory if it's that big, but I can't see it taking up more than storing it in a different way.

IamBob
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 01:08 PM

You might just try breaking the dictionary into smaller chunks...

If every month, week or day was stored in its own dictionary you could keep from saving, loading and dealing with a single huge one.

The archiving docs might be worth reading too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules