Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > TERM variable? Can't get naim to display properly

TERM variable? Can't get naim to display properly
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 03:27 AM

I'm trying to use naim, a console based AIM client. Its not displaying properly in Terminal.

You can download naim here:

http://shell.n.ml.org/n/naim/naim-0....-darwin6.6.tgz

It is very small and installation is merely copying a view files to your /usr/ directory.

I'm using a default x11 installation. The prpoblem could be due to an incorrect TERM variable, ncurses setting or version, or a screen setting or version. The text does not appear to respect the edges of the Terminal at all so it appears jumbled. It should look like the top right window in this shot:

http://web.mit.edu/kelesh/www/pics/athena-7-31-03.jpg

Anybody know how to fix this ?

Edit: It seems to behave correctly in xterm.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 04:38 AM

bah i am stupid. setting TERM to xterm-color made it work. I'll just make an alias for this or put it in my .Xresources if that even works for apple's x11. we'll see.

DAMN naim is one sexy ***** on my powerbook!! :-)

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 05:18 AM

since i started the topic, i might as well ask:

The color options seem very basic. How can I hack in the colors I want? Like how can I change blue to dark gray and red to light gray?

the .naimrc file has :

setcol BUDDY_AWAY BLUE
setcol BUDDY_OFFLINE RED
setcol EVENT WHITE/GREY
setcol WINLIST CLEAR/BLACK
setcol BUDDY_WAITING YELLOW/BROWN
setcol BUDDY_QUEUED MAGENTA/PINK

i'm not sure if it processes colors internally or if it checks somewhere. If its the latter, I should be able to set it.

I tried putting "rxvt*color3: rgb:80/80/80" in a .Xresources file, but it gives me an error when i do "source .Xresources" and if i start a new terminal up and try naim, the colors go from blue and green and white to all white, so it looks like my change had some effect but it didn't take the custom color and just made it white. perhaps my syntax is faulty on the rgb:80/80/80? or perhaps more likely is that it didn't recognize my RED3 as a color and just made it white. any ideas?
( Last edited by kelesh; Aug 11, 2003 at 10:46 AM. )

entrox
Senior User
Aug 12, 2003, 07:54 AM

First: are you really using RXVT and not another terminal emulator? You'll have to change the "rxvt*" to "XTerm*" - that's probably a better idea even if you're using RXVT, since it will pick up those settings, too (and it'll work in plain xterm).

Second: you are not supposed to read .Xresources into the shell - you'll have to merge the settings with the resource database. Type "man xrdb" and dive into the ugly realm of arcane Unix brain-damage. I can't really help you, since I got it to work once upon a time when I was still using FreeBSD and promptly forgot the exact arguments to xrdb.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 11:17 AM

i'm using Terminal.app with $TERM set to xterm-color. i'll try xterm*color2 and let you know how it works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules