Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommened < $150 workhorse laser printer

Recommened < $150 workhorse laser printer
galarneau
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 08:25 AM

I'm looking for a cheap workhorse laser printer that will:

1) Work over a network
2) Take inexpensive toner cartridges
3) Work under OS X, Windows, Linux
4) Be built to last (i.e. engine rated for 450,000 pages or something ridiculous like that)

So far I've been looking at the Apple LaserWriter 16/600's and 12/640's on eBay...

Anyone else have a suggestion? I'd like to keep the price under $150

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 02:01 PM

I've got the LaserWriter 16/600 and it's awesome. I'm not sure how easy setup is for Windows and Linux, though. I just use AppleTalk. Oh, FYI, to set the thing up, you need the old LaserWriter utility that runs in Classic. Other than that, it's a great printer.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 05:23 PM

The Laserwriter IIg is also a nice printer, and probably less expensive.

Chris

OreoCookie
Apr 24, 2004, 10:57 PM

I don't think there is such a thing.
You are expecting to get a workhorse for the price of a lapdog. Getting an "old workhorse" also won't solve the problem as very often the fuser or the laser unit might give up on you simply because of their age and not their page count. (In case of the fuser, also because of the page count.)

I'm speaking from experience, I've had a LaserJet IIIp, LaserJet III, and a LaserWriter IINTX (the latter two shared the same mechanics). If you really want a workhorse printer, take a look at Kyocera, the printers are made to last, because some of the more important parts are made of ceramics. But you'd have to double your money (roughly), but you'll get a new, faster, and relatively good printer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules