Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone Try the Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard?

Anyone Try the Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard?
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 08:54 PM

Anyone try the Tactile Pro Keyboard? I HATE this Apple "Pro" that I have attached to my PB. Looking for better option.

panoquest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Kenstee:
Anyone try the Tactile Pro Keyboard? I HATE this Apple "Pro" that I have attached to my PB. Looking for better option.
Hi,
I'm surprized no one posted a reply yet! I'm posting my response on the Matias, and even though I'm not a speedy touch-typist, I think its one cool product. It really reminds me the IBM selectric keyboard (if you are old enough to remember those - how I wish I still had mine ;-)
. Todays uninspired and rubbery keyboards are truly cause for shame. Recently, I came across an old Commodore VIC-20 computer, which was a popular entry level computer 20+ years ago - I think it was the first color computer to come after the Apple ][ - and it sold for less than $300. Just dry-typing on the keyboard made me realize how terrible todays keyboards are. Hick, my Apple ][ has a better keyboard than the sad excuse that shipped with my latest Mac!
In recent years, I've tried many 3rd party keyboards on my Macs, the best ones - prior to the Matias - were from Macally and Microsoft (I still like the MS Intellimouse Optical and use them with my computers). Logitechs are too large for my taste. The only Apple keyboard I currently use is the Bluetooth wireless, which I use for my Powerbook.
I think one word of caution is needed, however: in some environments and for some people the keyboard might be considered as an unnecessary noisemaker - although I personally tend to like the loudness of the keystrokes.
All said, the Matias is a good investment - I got mine from Amazon at around $80. I just wish for a wireless/BT version.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2004, 08:11 PM

Modern keyboards cost a couple of dollars -- at most -- to make. They sell $5 keyboards at computer stores. Unfortunately, you can't build a superb keyboard at that price (though some of the cheap ones can be surprisingly pleasant to type on).

It's what we get when cost above all else drives the market. (Printers are another prime example of this.)

tooki

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 01:00 AM

I picked one up last month when I got my new G4 iBook. I may not be the best source since my previous external keyboard was one of those awful ones that came with the original bondi iMacs and G3 towers. I can confidently say that I'm making about 80% fewer typos now with the Matias. It does get a little clattery, but I work at home in a private space so no one else is disturbed. I just did a phone interview using the matias for real time transcription (i.e. typing while talking) and it wasn't so loud that it disturbed me or the interviewee. (I also replaced that equally bad hockey puck mouse.)
The only thing I might wish for is an ergonomically shaped version. so far i've had no carpal tunnel problems, but it'd be nice just in case.
whether you should get one depends on what you do. I'm a writer, so obviously I do a LOT of typing, and the price was worth it, if only in time saved correcting typos. In sum, easily the best keyboard I've ever used, and, for my purposes, worth the price.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Modern keyboards cost a couple of dollars -- at most -- to make. They sell $5 keyboards at computer stores. Unfortunately, you can't build a superb keyboard at that price...
tooki
True, I got a pc-ish keyboard for my SGI temporaly since I got a SGI replacement keyboard, the pc keyboard plus a wireless mouse had a ridiculous low price, the SGI keyboard has a ridiculous high price, over $250, but you can feel the difference.

BTW, it is just about tastes and feelings, but no desktop keyboard can beat my 17" keyboard.

The Matias� keyboard looks really nice.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2004, 01:04 PM

I'll also point out that an Apple Extended Keyboard II, Apple Keyboard II, or Apple Adjustable Keyboard (all ADB) work great on any USB computer using an iMate adapter.

tooki

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 07:18 PM

At half the price of the Matias keyboard, the Kensington Studioboard seems to be the exact same thing.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...155-006&depa=0

From what I can see it's IDENTICAL to the kensington keyboard but at $58, you just can't beat it

For pictures to compare to look here:

http://derek.trideja.com/review/tactilepro/
Aloha

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 08:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Link:
[B]At half the price of the Matias keyboard, the Kensington Studioboard seems to be the exact same thing.

From what I can see it's IDENTICAL to the kensington keyboard but at $58, you just can't beat it

Well, the photo you linked looks a lot like the Matias, but the keys lack the extra characters on each key that tell you what character is produced if you hold down the option or command keys. I really like that feature of the Matias.
However, with a keyboard, it's all about how it FEELS when you type, so no photo is going to be very useful. However, I'd sure try them both out if possible at a store before buying. I tried 2 other keyboards before buying this matias at my university bookstore. Only a hands on test will really tell you what keyboard to buy for YOUR needs.

aljawad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 06:03 AM

>>Hick, my Apple ][ has a better keyboard than the sad excuse that shipped with my latest Mac!

You also keep your Apple 2! I still have my 25-yr old computer and proudly display it as a memento from the dawn of the personal (or micro-) computer age. Alas, I no longer have my Mac Plus, but a Classic reminds me of what the early Macintosh days. Both computers are still running. I vaguely remember the VIC-20, but the second company to introduce a color computer was Atari (400/800?), followed by either Radio Shack with the color TRS-80, or Texas Instruments (forgot what they called that contraption they introduced in the early �80s).

The oldest computer I still keep and use is a G3 beige � although now it sports a G4 upgraded processor, firewire+USB card, Radeon video card, SATA card, 3-HDs and maximum RAM (768m). I use it daily for office related applications and internet browsing, and it also doubles as a file server. I like it mainly due to its keyboard over the keyboards that came with my newer computers. How I wish the beige G3 came with one additional PCI so that I may install a faster Ethernet port!

But anyhow, about the Matias. Its funny really, about a week ago I was talking about this keyboard with a friend of mine who also runs a local Apple dealership.

I was interested in the online review of the Matias. I also have the Macally, and agree its an improvement on Apples newer keyboards, but not the ones from the beige era. Can someone verify the quality of the Kensington vs. the Matias? The price difference is not too steep, and in any case the Matias comes with the option/command extra characters.

Although I have no proof whatsoever, just a hunch � OK a wish really - that with a new iMac coming soon, maybe Apple will draw on the introduction as an opportunity to upgrade its keyboards/mice. However, if the past is any indication, I gather it will be a change in favor of cost effectiveness.

But who knows?

Forum Links
Forum Rules