Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > when is a right time to buy a new pb

when is a right time to buy a new pb
Thread Tools
raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 12:17 AM
 
Now that people are speculating about G5s on PBs, I am wondering when would be a safe time to buy a PB and not worry about getting outdated too soon. I am also worried about all the new features coming in tiger, which might be processor intensive. It probably doesn't make sense to wait till tiger gets released anyway.


any thoughts?

thanks.

- ravi
     
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 12:22 AM
 
If you NEED it now, but it now. If you can hold off, meaning your overall productivity will continue at a reasonable rate, than wait. Remember, time is money.

Be aware that you will most likely be waiting 'till sometime in the first quarter of 2005, before you get your hands on a G5 PB.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555
     
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 12:54 AM
 
Also remember that you probably don't want to buy a Rev A G5 PB right off the bat unless you "need" the power. I would say it's safe to buy a new PB now unless you have something that you can deal with using until xmas of 05.
     
simonjames
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bondi Beach
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 07:50 AM
 
The first of something - like the G5 powerbook - will be both expensive and maybe like the TiBook (bleeding edge). Some people can afford to live on the edge.

I write this on my 2 week old max spec 17" PB
this sig intentionally left blank
     
VertigoBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 12:59 PM
 
I spoke with a guy who works for Apple a month or so back when I was shopping for my Powerbook, he said consumers shouldn't expect to see a G5 Powerbook until at least Q2 '05 due to the fact they're having such difficulties getting the processor to run cool (hell, the G5 Power Mac needs TEN system fans and some big heat sinks to keep the monster cool ) I ended up getting a 15" G4 Powerbook at the Educational price (ah the benefits of heading off to college) on Apple's website, and have been immensely satisfied - so now is as good of a time as any to buy a PB dude
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,