Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard drive unusual noise

Hard drive unusual noise
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2004, 11:11 AM

Hi

My powerbook 12 (rev B) seems to click in the background every second ... I noticed that just 2 days ago. And sometimes, when I turn off the computer, it makes a "beep". Not always.

Could this be the sign of a coming problem ? Or is it just normal ?

I must say it is hardly audible and the "beep" thing happens once every 5 times maybe. But it is the first time the HD makes noise since I have the powerbook (last December).

Thanks in advance
S k y p a t

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 01:00 PM

What is the HDD model/make? What does SMART status says in Disk Utility when you click on disk icon on the left?
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
What is the HDD model/make? What does SMART status says in Disk Utility when you click on disk icon on the left?
Hi
It is a Toshiba MK8025GAS (80 GB) and the SMART status says "checked" (I already repaired authorizations and performed a verify/repair disk).

Any idea/advice is welcome
S k y p a t

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 03:46 AM

And sometimes it makes a "beep" when I turn off my powerbook. I don't know if it is a system sound or a mechanical noise from the hard drive
S k y p a t

dennisbolt
Jul 6, 2004, 02:38 PM

If it is a camera-shutter like sound coming from the hd area, it may be the heads parking "normally" ? Mine did that-I looked on here and people advised a little program called apmtuner

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6435

It changes the power management settings and it "solved" my noice. Set it to above 200 and leave it running hidden in background. It seems to not work if it is not running, so you have to reset it when you restart.

VertigoBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 10:41 AM

That link for the APM tuner no longer works, but here is a page with the OSX beta version (works fine) and a little explanation about why there are so few links for it now, etc...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/mar03/032803.html
(scroll down to near the bottom)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 11:41 AM

I don't have the "tick everyone one second" but rather every maybe 5-20 minutes I get a ticking sound for about ten seconds. It's about medium loudness and seems to be coming from the hard drive. It's kind of annoying an people have remarked about it, so it is audible. I dunno about camera shutter like sound but if you hear it, the first it's definitely a "tick". Please report back if it fixes your problem.

I have a 15" 1.25Ghz PowerBook with a 5200 80GB HD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules