Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need help finding a case

Need help finding a case
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 04:46 AM

I want to build a wintel machine for some gaming needs I have, but I'm disappointed by the case choices. So many are garish or cheap looking. I'd be will to spend a bunch of money on a case that a) was well built b) provides easy access to the insides, c) isn't ugly as my ass, and d) is very quiet.

First thought of course; PowerMac G5 case. I know I won't find it in PC form factor, and don't care to mod it, but what companies provide cases of equal quality/design/style as apple?

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 01:26 PM

PC Case manufactureres are constrained by the ATX form factor, which, for a modern computer, sucks (Graphics card right next to the CPU, etc.)

Apple computers have no standard form factor, which allows them a lot more freedom when it comes to design/style. Build quality can be matched. But as far as design/style is concerned, Apple is by far the best.

Check out Directron at http://www.directron.com

They have a frickin' huge selection of cases and other components (They fulfilled the majority of my part supply needs when I was a teenage PC gamer/Overclocker, but then I lost my virginity and switched to Mac....), maybe you'll find something you can live with.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 02:18 PM

Personally, if I was building a pc I would probably go for one of the mini boxes. Something like a shuttle.

If you need something with more expansion, all my friends have lian li cases. They are pretty expensive but have the same aluminum type finish of a g5.

http://www.silverpcs.com/

t500
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 03:30 PM

Yeah I would go for a shuttle case. Compact design with a bunh of power. If you really want a G5 case there are a few on ebay. You should not be 2 hard. After you make a custom MoBo tray, and Line up the Pci Slots, all you would have to do is mod the case for the extra ports.....

Sounds fun, but I would not mess with a G5 beast case. I have one and its heavy!!!

Why bother with only 1 optical port anyway?

candykane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 07:01 PM

oke you can mod the psu of a G4 MDD to work on your board and put it in a g5 case
oke you could also use the apple G4 Quicksilver case i find it apple best desine
it wil take your board and the atx psu they go for about a 100 dollars on ebay. the mirror drive door is a no go unless you mod the hole backside of the case.
Building a xserve g5 for a 1000 euro's(1280 dollar) ;)

Forum Links
Forum Rules