Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple support question

Apple support question
nudnik1972
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 02:40 PM

I/we feel that the iMac (specs on the bottom) we purchased online, and before it hit the stores last year, has recently developed the annoying fan noise so often read about in the forums. The fans also seem to run at full speed when they don't really need to ...

We did not have that problem when we got it. The Mac is so loud, at times, that my wife will have to turn up the volume of the TV (same room since the office now turned into a nursery) to compensate. The fans get louder the longer you use the computer, really regardless of how intesive the work is you are doing (they seem to be going full blast just now while typing this post and having run a Yahoo-game on the side, mostly idle).

By now, of course, we are down to the basic 1 year hardware warranty. I went to the Apple Store today to see if I can compare it to the noise of one of the floor models, but the ambient noise is too great to make out anything.

Found out that basic hardware support means a) you wait in line until a tech has time for you (at 10:15am - 15 mins after the mall opened - there were already 5 people waiting) and b) 7-12 day turn-around time before we get the Mac back.

So, I guess no fabulous Apple service without more $$$ spent ...

I have some question I hope to find answers or suggestions for:

Has anyone purchased a Pro-Plan yet? I understand it is $99, runs one year, and allows for 'appointments' with one of the techs and a 24 hour turn-around time.

Is that service also included in the AppleCare plan (couldn't find that info online and forgot to ask in the store)?

Any other options I am missing here, or should consider?

We are overall very happy with the Mac (switched from PC), except for this issue ...
IMac, therefore I am.

17" IMac G5, 1.8Ghz, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth, 768MB RAM

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 10:02 PM

I was under the impression that this is a user replaceable part. Therefore, you should be able to call up Apple and have them ship you a replacement. It even includes the tools you need to do the work.

Get the AppleCare anyway. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if that LCD went out a year from now.

BTW, don't break the middle screw of those first three.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

nudnik1972  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
I was under the impression that this is a user replaceable part. Therefore, you should be able to call up Apple and have them ship you a replacement. It even includes the tools you need to do the work.

Get the AppleCare anyway. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if that LCD went out a year from now.

BTW, don't break the middle screw of those first three.
-------

I contacted Apple through the Online Chat Support they now offer. I was told that my 3 month coverage was up and that I would have to bring the computer to the Apple Store in order to have hardware problems checked out.
I guess I will give them another shot over the phone instead, maybe I have more luck that way.
IMac, therefore I am.

17" IMac G5, 1.8Ghz, 80GB HDD, Bluetooth, 768MB RAM

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by nudnik1972:
-------

I contacted Apple through the Online Chat Support they now offer. I was told that my 3 month coverage was up and that I would have to bring the computer to the Apple Store in order to have hardware problems checked out.
I guess I will give them another shot over the phone instead, maybe I have more luck that way.
ahhh... forgot about the phone support detail. AppleCare will take care of that issue, btw, as you get three years of phone support.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules