Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And one more thing........ (Apple special event next week).

And one more thing........ (Apple special event next week). (Page 3)
Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 12:17 PM

OK, I think it'll be slight bumps all around. The big news?

An update for color-screen iPods in iTunes so they will run video.

Apple: Who needs a video iPod? You do? You already own one!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 01:12 PM

I'm thinking about teh Archos AV700 killar. I could use one of these.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Hmm, this is a tasty idea... this would be quite the coup. Apple's portable video player market share would go from zero to near 95% overnight. Considering photo ipods are powerful enough to process video (as evidenced by the movie-frame quick-flip-through video affect, I think you might have a very intriguing point.

ImpulseResponse

forkies
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
Remember that two of the biggest hitters in Hollywood are Disney and Sony...both of whom have a real love/hate relationship with Steve Jobs.
but, at macworld 2005 steve went on about the year of hd blah blah & then Kunitake Ando talked about it too mentioning "revolutionizing viewing video at home"

dunno

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by forkies
but, at macworld 2005 steve went on about the year of hd blah blah & then Kunitake Ando talked about it too mentioning "revolutionizing viewing video at home"
What's your point ?

For viewing video at home, I don't need a vPod.

-t

forkies
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 01:43 PM

what's my point, steve devoted a ton of the keynote to "the year of hd" but the only thing we have to show is apps from very early 2005.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 03:51 PM

Take a look at the picture right below your post and tell me if you'd really want to watch video on a screen the size of the current iPod's.

Honestly, if/when Apple releases a portable video player I hope that it is nothing like the iPod. Sure the form factor of the iPod is great, but it was designed to play music. Why try to shoehorn a video player into that package? I think it would be much more innovative if Apple started from scratch and designed a totally unique video player.

JOBS: "I've heard the rumors and I'm here to tell you that Apple has no plans to make a video iPod."

AUDIENCE: [angry murmers]

JOBS: Reaches into his pocket and pulls out the totally new video deally. "However today I would like to introduce this..."

AUDIENCE: [thunderous applause]

aljawad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 04:49 PM

On October 12, 1988: Steve Jobs introduced the NeXT Cube at the Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco.

October 12, 2005: ???
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell."

DarwinX
Oct 11, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
JOBS: "I've heard the rumors and I'm here to tell you that Apple has no plans to make a video iPod."

AUDIENCE: [angry murmers]

JOBS: Reaches into his pocket and pulls out the totally new video deally. "However today I would like to introduce this..."

AUDIENCE: [thunderous applause]

Now that would be the bomb diggity!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by aljawad
On October 12, 1988: Steve Jobs introduced the NeXT Cube at the Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco.

October 12, 2005: ???
Have you reached your quota of 3 posts per year yet ?

-t

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Have you reached your quota of 3 posts per year yet ?

-t

he/she is too busy feeding the hamster - be nice

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 10:03 PM

Boy, you've got to hand it to Apple. Even reliable rumors sites like ThinkSecret (who obviously have contacts within Apple) have been guessing and seconding guessing.

First, TS reported NO iPod annoucement tomorrow...only PM and PB bumps.

Then, TS reported there would be an iPod introduced alongside the bumps, but NOT a video iPod.

Now, TS reports that there will be a video iPod and NO speedbumped hardware.

Recent notes suggest otherwise, however, and tomorrow may in fact see the release of a video iPod, while Mac updates may not be delivered until next week.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 11, 2005, 10:10 PM

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a video ipod totally retarded?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 11, 2005, 10:12 PM

I just wanna buy something.
ice

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 11, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Am I the only one who finds the idea of a video ipod totally retarded?
Not the only one... Unless there were legally downloadable TV shows (for a fee), I'm not sure I'm interested.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 11, 2005, 10:22 PM

that would be slick.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Not the only one... Unless there were legally downloadable TV shows (for a fee), I'm not sure I'm interested.
Why for a fee? We already have a system with commercials that pays the TV companies a good salaray already.

If a video iPod or the near non-existance chance of a upgrade to existing iPods to play videos occures, then I will be glad I didn't buy this. I would love to have a video iPod.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Yes but...most of the banners did not change, the celebrity playlists did not change, the free downloads did not change. I'm also guessing something is coming tomorrow related to the iTMS even if it isn't video. Just my 2 cents.
Still no update. This is most unusual. Also, my iTMS-fed podcasts have stopped working (the feeds have errors).

Here's $20 that says Apple are about to launch some kind of Movie store addition to the iTMS.

...and as we all know, the iTMS is only there to support sales of the iPod. So that says to me that video iPod is definitely on the cards too.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 05:01 AM

Podcasts are updating but no free music today.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 05:21 AM

Ok, the show will go like this.

1, Video iPod, oh my, has steve blown his load too early?
2, you need content, The Studio, rip your commercial DVDs
3, You need a Mac with the processing power to do it, Dual Dual Core PMG5s and upgraded Powerbooks
4, Stream to your TV wirelessly with Airport Express (maybe a set top box in here too)
5, One more thing, iTunes Media Store (iHate the name), with collaboration with the BBC, with Disney, with Pixar Movies, with HBO shows, all for nominal fees.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 06:13 AM

what time is this thing today?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
what time is this thing today?

10 AM, PST
ice

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 08:02 AM

Radio 1 News here in UK just now-

"Apple have recorded huge profits etc....... Later today they will release their latest product, thought to be a Video iPod."

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 12, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Why for a fee? We already have a system with commercials that pays the TV companies a good salaray already.

If a video iPod or the near non-existance chance of a upgrade to existing iPods to play videos occures, then I will be glad I didn't buy this. I would love to have a video iPod.
Salaray? Is that a type of boat?

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 12, 2005, 08:49 AM

I just don't see the appeal of watching videos on such a freaking small screen. I hate watching movies at friends houses that have tiny (under 27") TV sets, I couldn't imagine trying to watch video on some portable screen. It seems pretty pointless.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 08:51 AM

Salaray? Is that a type of boat?
Simple typo. Got a little happy with the "a" key.

You really need to do something about that obsession. Seek professional counseling. Maybe they can change the dose of your meds. You are taking meds right? I think you admitted that on here before.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 09:19 AM

Is there a webcast / QuickTime stream of this "One more thing"-event?
Thanks.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 09:34 AM

All I need is a portable device that can play video to an SVIDEO out or something. If it's to play movies I make of family on my digital camera, or whatever I download off the net (iTunes music video content, documentaries etc.), I'd be content with that.

What would be really cool, is if it could capture video as well. Pocket Tivo action. That way when I go home for christmas this year, and my parents take a bunch of video footage with their VHS camcorder (old thing), I can do a composite NTSC capture of some kind and take it home.

I've got a sub 1GHz iBook and a StudioTVR which does this sort of thing well enough, but to have similar projects become iPod-portable would be brilliant.

And hey, if this was invented already, let me know so I can check out devices!

OR

What if this new device takes syndicated content to a new level? What if they make the iPod come standard with audio record capabilities? That way they can tout, "not only does it play podcasts, it helps you make them too with automatic chapter splitting, audio fade out, mic power etc."

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Radio 1 News here in UK just now-

"Apple have recorded huge profits etc....... Later today they will release their latest product, thought to be a Video iPod."
This has to be a new level for even Apple rumours, them being reported on Major National media network, and one that's not particularly tec or business focused at that.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Oct 12, 2005 at 10:01 AM. )

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by starman
You can get a Dell laptop with a wide 17" screen, DUAL-LAYER DVD burner, and a boatload of extras for almost $1000 LESS than a 17" Powerbook.
Yeah, you can. It will keep a lot of doors from shutting, too. The only way to transform a Dell from a useless goddamned paperweight is to install Linux on it.
Originally Posted by Appleman
Is there a webcast / QuickTime stream of this "One more thing"-event? Thanks.
Yeah! Somebody please let us know if such a stream exists. Hell, I'll settle for an audio stream....

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Yeah, you can. It will keep a lot of doors from shutting, too. The only way to transform a Dell from a useless goddamned paperweight is to install Linux on it.Yeah! Somebody please let us know if such a stream exists. Hell, I'll settle for an audio stream....
You know, it's amazing that people will blindly spend $1200 more on something that has less features, less horsepower, and less support. I love Apple just like all of you, but when it comes to laptops, Apple plain sucks.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman
Is there a webcast / QuickTime stream of this "One more thing"-event?
Thanks.
lately there hasn't been live ones. it'll most probably be on apple's site later today.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 12, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader

Because commercials in downloads suck, and the content providers don't really like that setup anyways, because people just skip the commercials. And if you can't skip embedded commercials, that REALLY sucks.

PianoMan
Oct 12, 2005, 11:48 AM

did anybody notice that the itunes music store has NOT been updated this week??? it usually gets updates on tuesday and i check out the new stuff, but this week NOTHING, here in the UK anyway.

when i noticed i totally forgot about the announcement today, something big is going to change on the iTunes store today, i'm almost sure.

PianoMan
Oct 12, 2005, 11:58 AM

yes i need to read threads before i post.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by PianoMan
did anybody notice that the itunes music store has NOT been updated this week??? it usually gets updates on tuesday and i check out the new stuff, but this week NOTHING, here in the UK anyway.

when i noticed i totally forgot about the announcement today, something big is going to change on the iTunes store today, i'm almost sure.
Yeah - look back a couple of pages. I noticed it yesterday, cos I was itching to buy a new album... Macworld UK has also picked up on it.

In related news.....

iTunes 6.0 ?!?!?!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kscully/51840188/

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 12:06 PM

Actually I think Randman's idea would be a major major thing for Apple to do. If I actually had an iPod I would be excited about that !!

Gotta be video surely.....Apple Store UK is still up...don't they usually shut em down around a new hardware event?

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 12, 2005, 12:09 PM

I don't buy the video thing. I mean, sure, I suppose they could do it, but it ISNT WORTH IT. Who wants to watch videos on a tiny screen? I don't. The ipod was a good idea because with headphones, you can listen to music almost anywhere, and lots of it. But a video ipod? You can't really use it in the car, you can't really use it while walking, you can't really use it unless you're sitting somewhere with absolutely NOTHING to do, but that market is already filled with games, books, handheld games, cards, etc etc etc etc.

If they make a video ipod it'll be pretty effing stupid.

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 12:13 PM

I sort of agree with you bad_quote but there is a market for them....people when away on trips in hotels (ok yeah you could have your laptop with you), people travelling ie not driving.

It wouldn't be an item I would run out and buy for sure, but we will see what comes up.
Oh and if its a PDA then yeah I will run out and buy it.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 12:22 PM

I don't buy the video thing. I mean, sure, I suppose they could do it, but it ISNT WORTH IT. Who wants to watch videos on a tiny screen? I don't. The ipod was a good idea because with headphones, you can listen to music almost anywhere, and lots of it. But a video ipod? You can't really use it in the car, you can't really use it while walking, you can't really use it unless you're sitting somewhere with absolutely NOTHING to do, but that market is already filled with games, books, handheld games, cards, etc etc etc etc.

If they make a video ipod it'll be pretty effing stupid.
That's why I like the idea of stealthily upgrading all the current photo-enabled iPods, along with releasing a new Airport Express that can do video. The iPod Video would be used to get headlines, but it wouldn't really be a new thing, and to be quite honest, wouldn't drive sales of new iPods at all. It's the Video-enabled AEx that could be the ground-breaking thing, especially if its coupled with new TV content. That has the potential to do to the Cable companies what iTunes is currently doing to the Record companies.

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 12:24 PM

Apple Store UK Just Shut!!!!

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:04 PM

so, anyone up for a video iPod?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 03:07 PM

Maybe, if they were 80GB. Sucks that they're all USB now. Firewire is officially dead.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

i'm going to mail my younger sister my nano and pick up a white 60gig ipod next week.

i like the ability to download tv episodes. i normally miss lost and sometimes my dvr doesn't record it (cuts out the end, etc).

i like the USB. my firewire on my imac is used by my external hard drive and my isight. my usb is free.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by cla214
so, anyone up for a video iPod?
Why? My PSP has a bigger screen.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
i'm going to mail my younger sister my nano and pick up a white 60gig ipod next week.

i like the ability to download tv episodes. i normally miss lost and sometimes my dvr doesn't record it (cuts out the end, etc).
At 320x240 they can keep their TV shows.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

I wonder if there's going to be a firmware update for existing iPod Photos. They're more than capable of playing video, especially at that resolution.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

Underwhelming.

I'm wondering if you will be able to upload any video to the iPod or if you will be stuck with just iTunes content. It has to be any video, but I have yet to see mention of it.

Honestly, nothing at this event impressed me at all. Don't need video on my iPod and don't need a new iMac. The ability to download shows is cool, but not that cool. Not until they have a massive library anyway.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

DarwinX
Oct 12, 2005, 03:19 PM

Maybe, if they were 80GB. Sucks that they're all USB now. Firewire is officially dead.
D'OH! I had missed that in all this, though I should have suspected it given Apple's moves that way. Is this a space issue? IE...is firewire require that much room to include? Is this because of the pending Intel move? Cost move? Anyone? Bueller?

I still like the new iPods though and am tempted as even my 4G 40GB is starting to look old with its non-color screen.

iMac's are sweet, maybe the 'rents will pick one up I can help setup and use a little bit for them.

Enough for now.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 03:21 PM

Nice, lot's of useless bull and no PowerMac or PowerBook upgrades. And that 100mhz bumb on the iMac is well...horrible.

I mean, iTunes goes from 5.0 to 6.0 just because they added the Videos thing on the left ? Has Adobe taken over or what ?

The only thing I like is Front Row. I would like the iPod if it were Firewire capable/80GB and didn't look that weird.

*sigh*

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules