Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1gb vs 2 gb ram

1gb vs 2 gb ram
davidsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 10:23 PM

really how mcuh ram do i need? all i do is look at photos, ichat, email, safari, and itunes. rihgt now it is kinda slow. When woudl 2 gbs of ram be used?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 10:26 PM

What computer do you have? How many programs do you usually have open at once?

davidsi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
What computer do you have? How many programs do you usually have open at once?
oops sorry, i have a 2.0 macbook. usually i ahve aorund 4-5 programs open at the same time.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 11:13 PM

With just one user on the machine and those apps, 1GB should be fine. If you move into "heavier" apps (like Apple's pro apps), run non-Univeral Binaries (PPC apps), or have more than two users logged in at one time, I'd upgrade to 2GB.

davidsi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 11:19 PM

sweet thansk for the advice

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 12:31 AM

What are your thoughts about games? I'm talking light-ish gaming (on the level of Sims 2)? Would 1 gig be adequate, or would the second gig be important?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

JAR
May 22, 2006, 12:34 AM

Isn't there also an issue with Rosetta, like if you run MS Office or Adobe CS2? I hear that Rosetta loves to eat RAM. That's why I ordered 2GB...

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2006, 02:49 AM

In my experience PPC apps on my Intel Macs use roughly twice the RAM they do on my PPC apps. Now Rosetta isn't a process by itself that uses RAM, it's just that the non-UB apps use more than on PPC. The advantage of this is that as soon as you stop running a PPC app the RAM gets freed up again. It's not like Rosetta is constantly snitching RAM away from you.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 03:01 AM

I wanted to get 2 Gigs, but it was pretty steep for me, so I went with 1. I'll let everyone know how well it goes.

I can tell you straight out that 512Mb is totally inadequate. Word is dog slow, and moving between apps is pretty bad. Universal apps are okay, but compared to the performance of the MBs with 1 Gig I saw at the Apple Store, they'll be a lot better with that extra RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules