Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone quit smoking?

Anyone quit smoking?
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Jul 13, 2006, 07:38 AM

A lot of the on-line advice about how to quit smoking is pushing something -- usually a product or book. So, has anyone not selling something quit successfully? How'd you do it?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
A lot of the on-line advice about how to quit smoking is pushing something -- usually a product or book. So, has anyone not selling something quit successfully? How'd you do it?
I fell in love and she asked me to quit. I prayed about it and it worked. Until then I'd tried and failed. This time it was a snap. I credit love and God and it's been 19 months so far. I'll never go back to it.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 07:48 AM

I've quit smoking succesfully. Several times....... oh......

Nevermind.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 08:12 AM

I quit about 13 years ago after 7 or 8 years of roughly a pack a day.

Just made up my mind that I wasn't going to do it anymore. It wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 08:18 AM

The key is: You can not start to "not do" a habit. You can only replace a habit with something else you do. For abe it was praying, for others it's chewing gum, for some it's eating (not suggested). Could be taking a walk or something. It doesn't matter. Pick something short you like that you can do for the duration you would have smoked and whenever you want to smoke say to yourself that that's not an option and do the replacement activity.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The key is: You can not start to "not do" a habit. You can only replace a habit with something else you do. For abe it was praying, for others it's chewing gum, for some it's eating (not suggested). Could be taking a walk or something. It doesn't matter. Pick something short you like that you can do for the duration you would have smoked and whenever you want to smoke say to yourself that that's not an option and do the replacement activity.
There's a lot to be said for this advice! Not only was I praying I was doing something to please my sweetheart, in a sense making myself a new person while preparing for a new life.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

khufuu
Jul 13, 2006, 08:43 AM

I started in the fall of 1981 and quit in the spring of 1998 and was a pack-a-day kind of guy. (Canadian packs that is; 25 per pack) Ugh!

Anyway, I did these things in this order:

1. Decided to quit. Sounds stupid I know but it IS the most important thing you need to do. You have to really want it bad!! DON"T wait till your at the end of a pack or anything. Whenever you're ready, just chuck them out as it's a small price to pay.

2. Recognize that smoking is mainly a reaction to stress. Stop, relax, remind yourself that "I'm a clean air breather" and try to de-stress. Take few deep breathes, take a walk, run an errand, whatever you need to do.

3. A craving only lasts about 30 seconds. That's right. It's probably this one that got me through the most. When you get one, just think about the 30 second rule and then start doing something. Continue working at your job with something that you can do with your hands or that really occupies your mind. If found that if I got involved in something, I'd forget about smoking.

4. Don't worry about gaining weight. I did gain weight for sure I look back on it now and it was SO worth it. You can always loose the weight later; just quit!

5. Chew cinnamon gum. I picked cinnamon because it had a nice strong flavor.

6. This'll sound strange but it did actually help. Go for smoke breaks with your friends at work. Let them know your not smoking and get them to NOT give you smokes but doing so still keeps your friendships going and your can still breathe in a whiff or two without actually smoking. Like I said, it sounds weird but it worked for me and a friend of mine too.

7. Remember that once you quit, you can NEVER EVER have another cigarette again. I've had one drag on someone's smoke in a bar after 6 weeks and I hated the taste so much that it put me off for good. However, if I was coaxed into smoking the rest of that cigarette I would still be smoking today. I know it.

Ok. I'm done now. Good luck.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 09:25 AM

lots of advice here, and you'll have to figure out what works for you. it could be one persons, or anothers, or a combination of advices.

for me, i smoked a pack a day or more for i think 3 or 4 years. when i finally decided to quit, i threw out a cigarette i was smoking mid cigarette and put the half empty pack in the glovebox. done.

a couple things that really helped me:
1. don't talk about it. don't count days. this leads to some sort of "oh, i've been good i can have one" type of thing.
2. theres nothing forcing you to smoke. your physical addiction side effects aren't going to kill you. get over it. mind over matter.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 10:13 AM

I did quit on may 31st. (The day that it became against the law to smoke in public places in Quebec). I said to myself: If I can't smoke where I want, I better quit. And I did. It's not the first time that I quit, but It`s the first time that I really mean it. Coughing my lung out everey morning and running out of breath after 2 flights of stairs also helpep a lot.

I was smoking a pack a day and I had my mind set on my quit date for a while. So from January to may 31st I gradually went from a pack a day to 3 to 5 cigarettes a day. It helped. After I did quit, the first 4 weeks were pretty tough. But i could feel that I was coughing less and less, I was not running out of breath as easily, my morning breath was not as horrific as it used to be and my house ended up smelling better. So all of these things made it easier. I still have a few cravings, but I can handle it.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 13, 2006, 10:20 AM

I saw a study that said just calling it quits one day instead of planning a date gives you a much high success rate.

My boyfriend did it like that and it has been 3 years he has been clean.

"Hello, what have we here?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 10:25 AM

My mom quit after 40+ years of smoking (she started when she was 13 or 14) from 3 visits from a hypnotist. Knock on wood, no cancers 'attributed' to smoking

My dad didn't, after 50+ years of smoking (he started at age 13 too). He died 3 months ago Saturday, 'attributed' to somoking.

I'd say, keep trying ANYTHING to quit.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 10:34 AM

I smoked for 5 years, quit for 3, then smoked for 1 year and then quit for good.

A few things to remember / think about. First of all, right now, you feel like smoking is a part of your life and it is. Not smoking sounds almost impossible. I remember this feeling. It does go away. After a few months, you will no longer miss smoking at all. Not only that, but the intensity of the physical withdrawal peeks after about 24 hours and never gets worse. After about a week, it goes away altogether. THAT WEEK IS GOING TO SUCK! Just get through it and remember how hard it was. Keep reminding yourself that you have to quit and remember that if you start again, you will have to go through all of that again.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SkirtingTheBan
Banned
Jul 13, 2006, 10:51 AM

Hire me. I will kick you in the balls everytime you try to light one up. But seriously.... I never started. Why?

Go to an elementary school and ask them about the people who bring in organs from dead people, especially the smokers lungs vs hte non smokers lungs. Call up those people, and go see the difference.

Personally I think we should have a big meat hook hanging over each location that sells cigs... and on that meathook will be a big phermaldahyde dripping set of blackened charred smoker's lungs. God that was gross. I still remember them today.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:06 AM

Smokers are stupid.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Smokers are stupid.
No they're not. They're addicted. Nicotine is as addictive than heroin.

When I stopped I stopped cold turkey too, from 20 a day.
Make sure that you don't fall off the wagon at the three month mark, that's when most people start again.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap

Make sure that you don't fall off the wagon at the three month mark, that's when most people start again.
It's actually more addictive than heroin. Nicotine is the most addictive substance known today.

And congrats on being able to stop smoking.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:30 AM

My apologies. I forgot that people are born addicted to Nicotine.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 11:31 AM

I am glad that you never regretted any of your decisions. Your mother must love you.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:34 AM

It's nice that you're so hateful and judgmental of an entire group of people that you don't even know.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:46 AM

I am glad that you never regretted any of your decisions. Your mother must love you.
I'm not stupid enough to start smoking, does your mother not love you?

You are not born smoking. One day you make a stupid stupid thought of "Won't I look cool smoking" or perhaps "Filling my lungs with smoke and addictive chemicals might make me lose weight AND be more sociable". Or what is "I am bored and go for a minor head rush"?

The first time you taste a smoke it does NOT taste good to anyone. It tastes horrible, it doesn't taste like strawberries or cupcakes but like awful smoke. You know the stuff your body forces you to hurl out as soon as it gets some in it.

Not only does it taste horrible and you can't properly inhale it and have to train yourself to keep it in your lungs. Yup, you pull of some that smoke in, suck it into your lungs nice a deep and hold it there. Ahhhhh, now you can do it!

1 year later it is "boo hoo, I wish I wasn't addicted" to this horrible drug. Did you know nicotine is more addictive than XX. Feel sorry for me".

They didn't JUST figure out smoke is bad for you, most of you knew the second you started. I knew at 2 smoking is bad for you, so did every other kid.

You got yourself addicted, you go feel sorry for yourself and deal with a way to quit if you don't like it.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
It's nice that you're so hateful and judgmental of an entire group of people that you don't even know.

The Church has no problem doing it so way to set yourself up

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 11:53 AM

At least they hate the sin and not the sinner.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
At least they hate the sin and not the sinner.
Oh right, forgot about that little loophole.

OK I hate smoking but I love smokers.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:50 PM

Frankly I was waiting for that response. But there's a difference between 'judging' someone and simply knowing what will happen. But that's another discussion for another area (PL).

I'll say this: Hookah rocks. It tastes good, and is quite pleasant and sociable.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 12:50 PM

I'm not stupid enough to start smoking, does your mother not love you?

You are not born smoking. One day you make a stupid stupid thought of "Won't I look cool smoking" or perhaps "Filling my lungs with smoke and addictive chemicals might make me lose weight AND be more sociable". Or what is "I am bored and go for a minor head rush"?

The first time you taste a smoke it does NOT taste good to anyone. It tastes horrible, it doesn't taste like strawberries or cupcakes but like awful smoke. You know the stuff your body forces you to hurl out as soon as it gets some in it.

Not only does it taste horrible and you can't properly inhale it and have to train yourself to keep it in your lungs. Yup, you pull of some that smoke in, suck it into your lungs nice a deep and hold it there. Ahhhhh, now you can do it!

1 year later it is "boo hoo, I wish I wasn't addicted" to this horrible drug. Did you know nicotine is more addictive than XX. Feel sorry for me".

They didn't JUST figure out smoke is bad for you, most of you knew the second you started. I knew at 2 smoking is bad for you, so did every other kid.

You got yourself addicted, you go feel sorry for yourself and deal with a way to quit if you don't like it.
I agree somehwat with your assesment, actually. I however went a different route - i never liked smoking until I started smoking marijuana rather regularly and then later hash in Europe. Smoking afterwards was actually quite pleasant. I'm lucky in that I didn't get horribly addictied, but I enjoyed a cigarrete once in a while - after a meal, while drinking beer with the buddies, after sex...these were all pleasurable experiences, believe me. For about 10 years I smoked off and on, but usually 3 or 4 a day.

Eventually I tired of it, and the enjoyment started to wane, so I just quit cold turkey. I did like Jim Jarmusch in Smoke and declared that the cigarette I had just lit would be my last. I continued to use tobacco while making joints but even that I gave up. Now 3 years later if I try a cigarette, it's so strong it makes me sick. I no longer miss it in bars or after a meal.

People are different, but the point is - some enjoyment can be had from smoking. Doesn't excuse it, but it's still true.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
People are different, but the point is - some enjoyment can be had from smoking. Doesn't excuse it, but it's still true.
Absolutely, I know people smoke because they enjoy it but the fact is they new the problem before getting into it and decided that getting off was more important. Then they all whine over "We can't smoke inside bars", "It is so addictive".

No ****!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:54 PM

Frankly I was waiting for that response. But there's a difference between 'judging' someone and simply knowing what will happen. But that's another discussion for another area (PL).
Ya that makes a whole lot of sense. "knowing what will happen"? What are you talking about.

If it was meant for another discussion that you shouldn't have brought it up knowing what response it would bring then run off saying not to discuss it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 12:59 PM

That argument works only relatively recently for people who are expected to be acountable for their own actions.

People who became addicted before all the talk of how unhealthy it was or when they're young and thus bound to make stupid, ill informed mistakes really didn't know any better. The tobacco companies target young people for a reason.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 13, 2006, 01:06 PM

My sis: Quit cold turkey
My bro: Quit cold turkey
My dad: Gradually quit over a few months, partially cuz Eug was spiking his cigs with matchheads. Dad lights up cig, takes a few drags, and POOF.

Grandpa: Smoked until his nineties, and finally died at age 99. Go figure.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
That argument works only relatively recently for people who are expected to be acountable for their own actions.

People who became addicted before all the talk of how unhealthy it was or when they're young and thus bound to make stupid, ill informed mistakes really didn't know any better. The tobacco companies target young people for a reason.

So when exactly was it public that smoking is bad? I knew in 1975.

Even that aside you can still quit. You'll legs won't fall off. You might be a bit cranky and get headaches but take 30 days or so, but just do it. Beats smoking for the next 50 years.

Both me and my sister took different prescription meds on separate ocations that are addictive. When each of us tried to quit it made us sick like all hell, worse than smoking would. We could have both easily stayed on the drugs just not to go through the withdrawal like many people have.

We both quit cold turkey, sick like hell for a few weeks but than BOOM, it is over with.

Don't be such wimps.

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 01:22 PM

Every time you smoke, focus on how your mouth smells like a sewer afterwards, this worked for me. I was able to reduce smoking and eventually quit.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 01:27 PM

Ya that makes a whole lot of sense. "knowing what will happen"? What are you talking about.

If it was meant for another discussion that you shouldn't have brought it up knowing what response it would bring then run off saying not to discuss it.
So I should never make a comment that you can twist into a weak, uninformed religious statement that's unrelated to the conversation?
God judges people. The Church doesn't.

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 01:37 PM

nevermind

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 01:39 PM

So I should never make a comment that you can twist into a weak, uninformed religious statement that's unrelated to the conversation?
God judges people. The Church doesn't.

Churches influence people. People influence governments. People judge others in the name of God or his word.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 01:42 PM

ya, but you dont start puking, getting cold sweats and flat out risking death when you quit smoking cold turkey.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 01:43 PM

Churches influence people. People influence governments.
My dad's dad smoked all the time and died of lung cancer in his 60s, and my dad has asthma (could being around a smoker for 18 years do that?). When he was sent home from the hospital because there wasn't much else they could do for him, he would take off his oxygen and sneak a smoke when my grandma went to get the mail.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
ya, but you dont start puking, getting cold sweats and flat out risking death when you quit smoking cold turkey.
And don't forget insomnia.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2006, 02:29 PM

I started chewing instead.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
I started chewing instead.
I think I'd rather smoke...my girlfriend prefers that I have lips and mouthwash takes care of smoke's most apparent problem.
I don't do either, but I suppose if I was forced to I'd pick cigarettes.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2006, 02:47 PM

I think I'd rather smoke...my girlfriend prefers that I have lips and mouthwash takes care of smoke's most apparent problem.
I don't do either, but I suppose if I was forced to I'd pick cigarettes.
I would rather miss a lip than a lung. My g/f doesn't mind me chewing since I chew wintergreen and it smells good.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 02:50 PM

You still get heart disease from chewing tobacco, and there's also the risk of mouth and throat cancer (both of which are horrible).

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 02:51 PM

I just did a google image search for lip cancer...wow, some of that stuff is gross! Although I bet a cancerous lung would be pretty bad too.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2006, 02:55 PM

I chew about a can a week. When I smoked, I went through a pack a day. To me, my risk for cancer decreased when I switched.

I eat a lot of spicy food too. Which I'm told combats cancer. I guess now it's just the waiting game.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 02:58 PM

I chew about a can a week. When I smoked, I went through a pack a day. To me, my risk for cancer decreased when I switched.
Possibly, but heart disease is the bigger problem anyways.

I eat a lot of spicy food too. Which I'm told combats cancer.
Possibly, but it can also help cause certain types of cancer too.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2006, 02:59 PM

Eh, I guess I'm screwed then.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 03:01 PM

I would rather miss a lip than a lung. My g/f doesn't mind me chewing since I chew wintergreen and it smells good.
Wait to see if she minds kissing you when you have no lips.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2006, 03:27 PM

Distractions work the best. My sister quit smoking by chewing gum, playing social games with her friends, etc. She asked her friends to pitch in as well and help. Those "quit smoking" books and crap are just offers for different kinds of things to keep you distracted from the cravings.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Jul 14, 2006, 05:50 AM

The withdrawals are not such a big deal. Last time I tried to quit, I was pretty stoic in the face of nicotine withdrawals. My problem was an "addiction" to the behavioural nature of smoking; the view that it was a therapeutic, relaxing thing to do. But like's been said, what's needed is to replace this with something else.

Anyway. Thanks for all the great advice!

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2006, 06:09 AM

Oh right, forgot about that little loophole.

OK I hate smoking but I love smokers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules