Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this guy scamming me? (trying to buy a used TiBook)

Is this guy scamming me? (trying to buy a used TiBook)
galarneau
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 02:22 PM

There is a guy selling a used TiBook, and here are the instructions he gave me for payment:

-----------------------------
Basically, what I had in mind is very simple. The transaction method is very simple and safe. We can start the transaction right now following these simple steps.

I will first send you the laptop [edit: he is sending it from Spain to New York City] via UPS 2 Days Airline. I will provide you with the Tracking Number. As soon as you will check the status of the package, all you have to do is go to the nearest Western Union office and make the payment on to my name. They will assign a number to this transaction called MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number). I will be needing this number in order to pick up the money. When your aquintance in NY will receive the package, check it out and inform you about it's proper conditions, all you have to do is send me the MTCN in order for me to collect the payment. This is a simple method for the transaction.

Or, you can send me a part of money, which I live at your choice. Please take your time to consider. Half of the money would be nice. If we you will send me a payment in advance, you cand send me the rest of them after the laptop delivery.

If you decide to go over with the first method, please send me the details of the person from NY City.

Please take your time to consider.

My best regards. Jan.

---------------------------------------

Basically, I saw his ad on a web board for New York City, though it turns out he is in Spain.

I've decided to not buy this machine from him (the price seemed too good to be true), but I can't figure out the angle...

Is this a scam? What is he up to? Anyone know?

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 02:30 PM

if it sounds to good to be true then it is. never ever send money via Western Union if you are using it to buy something. tell him that u will send an Authorized Bank Money Order. that way you cover your ass if somethng goes wrong but honestly i wouldnt buy from this guy or person. with patiences you will find something in your area or someone trustworthy. best of luck
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 02:32 PM

It's almost certainly a scam.
Don't touch this guy. If you can get the authorities onto him.

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 02:34 PM

Yeah, I'm totally not going to buy it, but I'm just trying to figure out what the scam is. Maybe it's just stolen?

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 04:16 PM

I had exactly the same offer proposed to me when I asled an Ebay seller a question about a Sony laptop he was selling.
This guy was also in Spain but I did not know this at first. He did not speak english and his translation software was terrible.

He got very upset when I did not jump on his "Kind Offer" to quickly handle the deal outside of Ebay. All I wanted was the answer to a question I had about the Computer,,which I of course never got.

Anyway it sounds like it has to be a scam somehow and can you imagine trying to get it figured out or get any restitution across international borders?!?

Buyer Beware

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by galarneau:
Basically, what I had in mind is very simple. The transaction method is very simple and safe. We can start the transaction right now following these simple steps.
Three uses of the word "simple" and a use of the word "safe".

I will first send you the laptop [edit: he is sending it from Spain to New York City] via UPS 2 Days Airline. I will provide you with the Tracking Number. As soon as you will check the status of the package, all you have to do is go to the nearest Western Union office and make the payment on to my name.
Proof he sent something, not proof of what he sent.

I've decided to not buy this machine from him (the price seemed too good to be true),
Good man.

but I can't figure out the angle...

Is this a scam? What is he up to? Anyone know?
He wants your money. Here's a list of things to stick by in these kinds of transactions:
  • If it looks too good to be true...
  • If it's outside of your country, you shouldn't believe it because it's almost impossible to track down and prosecute.
  • High priced items are fraudulent more often than cheap ones.
  • Strange payment methods w/o a way to track them are to be avoided.
  • If you have any real doubt, avoid it.
  • If it's for an amount you can't afford to lose, and you can't get the thing in person, avoid it.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:27 PM

OK, I'm from Spain and live in the States. Don't know if this guy is a legitimate seller. But Apple products in Spain (and overall in Europe) are just overpriced. About 35-45 % more expensive than in the States.

Do not ever buy anything Mac related outside the States, prices are just unfair. Search always for legitimate opportunities within US.

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 09:21 PM

Yeah, it was $1400 US for a TiBook 800... I hope nobody falls for it, but I bet someone will.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 10:01 PM

Basically he will ship the package and send you the tracking number, then he will go to western union with an ID (probably not even his real name) and get the money he dosen't need the MTCN most of the time.

I would tell him ok and tell him you sent payment, then when the package gets there (if it is ok) send payment then.

Most likely you will open a empty box with a pair of socks in it... lol

Anyway, anything involving western union is shady as hell.

with that much money use an escrow service and only one in the states (or your country) who is reputable, its WELL worth the small charge!

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 10:14 PM

Well, I've decided I'm probably going to wait for the 15" AluBook, anyway. I'm starting 4 months of electives in the States next week for medical school (2xEmergency Med, 1x Neurosurgery), so I probably won't even have time to miss my iBook I just sold. I just hope that any updated PowerBooks in July are available before I have to come back to Australia in early September. Yeah, what are the chances?

Forum Links
Forum Rules