Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is it with teenage girls...

What is it with teenage girls...
Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 02:11 AM

...and being suicidal?
Seriously. One day they're all happy, and the next they're ranting about how much their life sucks and how much everyone hates them and no one understands. You just want to say "Why don't you go slit your wrists or something?", but you don't because they might.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 02:16 AM

Estrogen?

-Owl

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 02:21 AM

Please do not encourage them. I'm not sure how to describe it. Self esteeme (spelling?) may have something to do with it.

I have two daughters and it was something that I was concerned about, but fortunately, those days are behind us.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
Self esteeme (spelling?)

SELF-ESTEEM.

Cipher13
Nov 1, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Albert Pujols:

SELF-ESTEEM.
95% of "suicidal" teenage girls are just attention whores.

Take it from a 20 year old.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 03:09 AM

Aren't guys more likely to commit suicide though?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
95% of "suicidal" teenage girls are just attention whores.
And the other 5% won't be around much longer so they aren't really a problem for you.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cohiba
Nov 1, 2004, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
No, women are much more likely to commit suicide, but men have a much higher chance of actually succeeding. The reason is because women will try to kill themselves in �nice� ways, like overdosing on pills, or slitting their wrists, which then they can call for help and have their lives saved.

Men, however, do it the more power way. Either shotgun to the head, hanging oneself, or by jumping from large heights, all ways that you are, unable, to rethink your decision.

More successful suicides are done my men, as most suicides by women fail, mostly by first doing the act (swallow many pills, etc) and then asking for help.

The most common reason why men commit suicide is because they actually want to die. Women use it more for the purpose of getting attention. And although shooting yourself with a shotgun will gather attention, it will be hard for people to be sympathetic to your needs afterwards.

So, suicidal men just wanna die, suicidal women just wanna attention. There are extenuating circumstances, but that is what it is the vast majority of times.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 03:35 AM

have you guys watched "the virgin suicides"? i thought it was v good, great soundtrack too

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Cohiba:
No, women are much more likely to commit suicide, but men have a much higher chance of actually succeeding. The reason is because women will try to kill themselves in �nice� ways, like overdosing on pills, or slitting their wrists, which then they can call for help and have their lives saved.

Men, however, do it the more power way. Either shotgun to the head, hanging oneself, or by jumping from large heights, all ways that you are, unable, to rethink your decision.

More successful suicides are done my men, as most suicides by women fail, mostly by first doing the act (swallow many pills, etc) and then asking for help.

The most common reason why men commit suicide is because they actually want to die. Women use it more for the purpose of getting attention. And although shooting yourself with a shotgun will gather attention, it will be hard for people to be sympathetic to your needs afterwards.

So, suicidal men just wanna die, suicidal women just wanna attention. There are extenuating circumstances, but that is what it is the vast majority of times.
Your point makes sense to me. Hanging doesn't seem as violent as leaping from a building though. Another option is breathing carbon monoxide. What would be the most successful way to snuff it? Maybe hanging? I wonder how quick it works.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 05:09 AM

hanging will kill you instantly because the rope snaps your neck and that severs the connection between your brain and spine, so there is no suffocating involved that just means you did it wrong.

Also, I know just as many men as women that have successfully killed themselves.

And also, of the three attempted suicide calls I have been on (ambulance) 2 were for men and one was for a female. Both of the men came closer to killing themselves (drug OD and slit wrists) while the woman (drug OD also) wasn't in such bad shape (physically, not mentally of course).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 06:05 AM

No, women are much more likely to commit suicide, but men have a much higher chance of actually succeeding.
Uh, then women are not more likely to commit suicide; they are more likely to attempt suicide.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 06:24 AM

Young men are actually more likely to go through with it than teenage girls. Something breaks them down so bad.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Twilly Spree:
Young men are actually more likely to go through with it than teenage girls. Something breaks them down so bad.
It's dealing with those damn teenage girls!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Jaey:
...and being suicidal?
Seriously. One day they're all happy, and the next they're ranting about how much their life sucks and how much everyone hates them and no one understands. You just want to say "Why don't you go slit your wrists or something?", but you don't because they might.
LOL. . .Another reason to be thankful I am no longer a teenager.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
It's dealing with those damn teenage girls!
Agreed

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:40 AM

Women just attempt it more often, we men actually finish the job more often.

I think the problem with being a teen in the US is the large clash of value choices. Everywhere you look someone is trying to impress a different set of values on you and your friends. Being a teen isn't always the craziness that it is in the US. Each society has its own troubles and problems with teens. the US just gets a lot of problems because of its diversity.

Short simple answer: Blame the media.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2004, 08:49 AM

If I recall correctly, three times as many women as men attempt suicide, but three times as many men as women actually succeed at it. This means that the suicide success rate for women isn't just one-third that of men, it's one-ninth.

Others have mentioned why; it's all about the preferred methods used by the different genders. Men tend to use stuff that's quick and has little to no chance of survival even if someone interrupts. Women tend to prefer, dare I put it this way, more "romantic" methods, which themselves tend to be much slower and allow a person to change their mind.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2004, 08:53 AM

Teenage angst is so common that... well... we call it "teenage angst". Some of this is related to all the hormonal changes that come about during adolescence, but frankly I have to wonder if there's a strong psychological component to it: these people aren't children anymore (and tend to make quite a point of that) but are starting to realize that this fact isn't as good as it might have first seemed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by SSharon:
hanging will kill you instantly because the rope snaps your neck and that severs the connection between your brain and spine, so there is no suffocating involved that just means you did it wrong.

Also, I know just as many men as women that have successfully killed themselves.

And also, of the three attempted suicide calls I have been on (ambulance) 2 were for men and one was for a female. Both of the men came closer to killing themselves (drug OD and slit wrists) while the woman (drug OD also) wasn't in such bad shape (physically, not mentally of course).
Only three? Geez, Pulse ain't running you hard enough. On my ambulance service, I have been to more suicide calls than I can remember. Most of them are for males who have some pre-exisiting psychiatric problem and they threaten to kill themselves.

The women, however, usually go a step further- slitting their wrists, pills, etc. When we got em in the back of the ambulance and stabilized, they usually say something like, "I didn't want to kill myself, but things are just so bad." To which I nod, be sympathetic and then afterwards wonder why they didn't just call a crisis hotline and save everyone a ton of time, money and effort.

p.s. ssharon and I are EMTs
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 04:23 AM

My sister did that once way back in high school. She took pills and called a friend to tell her that she didn't know how many she had taken. The friend promptly came right over, told my mom, and we all went to the hospital.

I doubt she was in any real danger (but who knows, I never did find out how many pills or what kind of pills they were), but it's exactly as you described.

And recently there was a teenage girl who "hung" herself at my old high school. She did so in the morning in the bathroom and did not succeed. Her sister found her before it was too late.

And I know of one guy, maybe two, that committed suicide from my high school, and both were with guns. Quick and simple.

I wonder how much girls and guys would be different if society raised them the same.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 06:17 AM

Your point makes sense to me. Hanging doesn't seem as violent as leaping from a building though. Another option is breathing carbon monoxide. What would be the most successful way to snuff it? Maybe hanging? I wonder how quick it works.
Insulin overdose is the most painless way to top yourself.
It just reduces your blood sugar until you drift off to heaven.

Totally painless.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Insulin overdose is the most painless way to top yourself.
It just reduces your blood sugar until you drift off to heaven.

Totally painless.
cool

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
Self esteeme (spelling?)
Yeah, because putting '(spelling?)' after a tricky (or not) word makes it ok to get it wrong.

Seriously, you're on the internet anyway, use it. You never know, you might learn something.

Failing that, the latest version of this wonderful OS we call X has a built-in system-wide spellchecker, try that.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by siMac:
Yeah, because putting '(spelling?)' after a tricky (or not) word makes it ok to get it wrong.

Seriously, you're on the internet anyway, use it. You never know, you might learn something.

Failing that, the latest version of this wonderful OS we call X has a built-in system-wide spellchecker, try that.
ooooooh
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 09:38 AM

pretty much a text book answer.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 09:52 AM

Hey, guess what? After me, who comes across as the bigger a**hole (sp?) of the three of us?
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 09:58 AM

People who are attempting suicide don't "wanna" get positive attention - they need it. Men who shoot themselves to die also need positive attention and support, but are even worse off because social circumstances prevent many men from feeling they can't express their need for help for fear of being labelled "weak", even after a suicide attempt.

Someone who attempts suicide is screwed up, and the tragedy is that no one noticed or could do anything about it in time. Everytime you blame someone for not being "personally responsible" enough and think their taking the easy way out of thngs, remember that there was a hell of a lot of antipathy that put that person there in the first place and that it's by some special grace you haven't had as much trouble or were taught how to cope.
( Last edited by AB^2=BCxAC; Nov 2, 2004 at 10:08 AM. )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 10:01 AM

Grrr. /End rant

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:47 AM

Hey, I'm just sick of seeing bad speeling everywhere (non-native english speakers excepted) when these days you don't even need to know how to spell that well, the computer does the hard work for you.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:47 AM

And it's easy to increase your post count...

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:48 AM

...if you make three posts every time instead of one.

End rant.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 11:22 AM

Hmm. My 720 posts over 20 months versus your 216 posts over 3 months. Based on averages, I'd say you're the one cruising for a higher post count. But I don't mind the post-whore accusation - we can't all be classy like you.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 11:27 AM

No, they're just better at getting the job done.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 11:42 AM

When I was in a university Psych. program we were told the highest incidence of suicide in the US was among men in their 50's. The interesting thing here is that women test positive for suicide by much higher margins. Therefore, men are less likely to test as suicidal and more likely to actually commit suicide. The most likely implication here (we were told) is that the cultural bias against American men acknowledging their feelings made them least capable of dealing with them in an effective manner. So they were either blind to their true psychological state or were unwilling to admit it to themselves/others. There's all kinds of research pointing to this, and it makes for very interesting discussions regarding why people do what they do vs. why they think they do what they do.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 11:42 AM

It is just a part of growing up. The teenage girls are like the ones of past generations.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
The teenage girls are like the ones of past generations.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
It is just a part of growing up. The teenage girls are like the ones of past generations.

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 01:13 PM

tell them they're pretty, pat them on the ass, and send them on their way.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 01:13 PM

cool
Begin rant.

Why exactly is learning a painless way of suicide cool? Do you think that it going to ease the pain of those you leave behind?

"I'm sorry your son was selfish enough to think only of himself and take the easy way out. But if it makes you feel better, his insulin overdose was painless."

B.S.

My brother in law hung himself six years ago. Only he screwed up and instead of a quick and painless broken neck he slowly suffocated over the course of a 1/2 hour or so. Do think that it would make my wife and her parents any happier to know that he died painlessly? No!!! Either way he is dead and he left behind his family to wonder what they could have done diferently. Suicide has got to be about the most selfish thing a person can do.

End rant.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 01:27 PM

Hey, I'm just sick of seeing bad speeling everywhere (non-native english speakers excepted) when these days you don't even need to know how to spell that well, the computer does the hard work for you.
I like the fact that you made no less than two typos there yourself

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
I like the fact that you made no less than two typos there yourself
Care to point 'em out?

One word was deliberately misspelt for irony, I can't see what the other one is.

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Hmm. My 720 posts over 20 months versus your 216 posts over 3 months. Based on averages, I'd say you're the one cruising for a higher post count.
Heh heh, actually I've been unemployed for nearly three months; but you're right, I seem to be spending too much time on these forums and not enough looking for a job!

Just to clear things up, my 'beef', as it were, isn't necessarily with spelling errors, it's when someone knows they don't know how to spell something and rather than take five seconds to look up the word, thereby increasing their vocabulary, they spend five seconds typing '(spelling?)' - what's the point in that? You're just highlighting your ignorance.

Had he not drawn attention to his spelling I never would have either.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 01:54 PM

One word was deliberately misspelt for irony, I can't see what the other one is.
Misspelled is proper English.

Had he not drawn attention to his spelling I never would have either.
Fair enough. Truce.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 02:00 PM

Care to point 'em out?

As a proper noun, "English" has to be written with a capital E in english

(That one was, of course, on purpose too)

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:10 PM

As a proper noun, "English" has to be written with a capital E in english
Ois�n, you are technically correct - the best kind of correct. At least I got the right letters in the right order though, eh?

AB^2=BCxAC, truce ('misspelt' is also acceptable ).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 02:26 PM

Ois�n, you are technically correct - the best kind of correct.
Now I'm curious... what exactly is the best kind of correct, as opposed to a standard kind of correct, or even the worst kind of correct?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 04:05 PM

cold_reality
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
...and being suicidal?
One word..."hormones"

the ones I hang out with take gym classes and talk about "I don't wanna go to class but if I do at least I won't feel fat for a while"

Girls are ****ed up man.

...completely against political racism!

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 07:19 PM

Now I'm curious... what exactly is the best kind of correct, as opposed to a standard kind of correct, or even the worst kind of correct?
See Futurama, Season 2, Episode 11: 'How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back'.

It's a joke, let it go.

Solomon Grundy
Nov 2, 2004, 11:26 PM

Teenage girls are hawt...

Forum Links
Forum Rules