Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Um... visionaries?

Um... visionaries?
Thread Tools
iDu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Overland Park, KS (Kansas City)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2005, 11:19 PM
 
I just saw a commercial for NASDAQ on the History channel, it was about "visionaries". Of all people to put in a commercial about "visionaries" they used Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, and some big wig at Starbucks. Now, I don't know what Starbucks did for the coffee business other than shut down "mom and pop" coffee shops, but I sure as hell know what Michael Dell and Ballmer (and MS) have done, and its pretty much the opposite of visionary. </rant>
     
lavar78
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Yorktown, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2005, 11:22 PM
 
Knights of the Magical Light™

By nature's hand, by crafts, by art
What once was one now fly apart!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio
     
TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 12:01 AM
 
I don't know if the starbucks guy is a visionary. If by "vision" you mean able to crush everything in its path and offer a pretty damn good cup, then yeah.
     
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 12:09 AM
 
Joe Schmoe doesn't care that Starbucks is the Wal-Mart of cafes. Nor does he care that Dell does nothing more than push mass produced low-end boxes for cheaper than other pushers of mass produced low-end boxes are capable of going. He also doesn't care that Microsoft has done nothing more than adopt ascending technologies as their own and crush the companies that originally created them.

No, Joe Schmoe only cares that Starbucks makes him a better cup of coffee than he is capable of making, that his Dell cost almost nothing but carries out his basic needs well enough, and that it runs something called Windows made by a company called Microsoft that seems to have it's hands in just about everything with a flashing light or button on it.

These commercials are made for and directed at Joe Schmoe, not the likes of us.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er
     
Mafia
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alabama
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 12:24 AM
 
Originally posted by Lateralus:
Joe Schmoe doesn't care that Starbucks is the Wal-Mart of cafes. Nor does he care that Dell does nothing more than push mass produced low-end boxes for cheaper than other pushers of mass produced low-end boxes are capable of going. He also doesn't care that Microsoft has done nothing more than adopt ascending technologies as their own and crush the companies that originally created them.

No, Joe Schmoe only cares that Starbucks makes him a better cup of coffee than he is capable of making, that his Dell cost almost nothing but carries out his basic needs well enough, and that it runs something called Windows made by a company called Microsoft that seems to have it's hands in just about everything with a flashing light or button on it.

These commercials are made for and directed at Joe Schmoe, not the likes of us.
well said.
http://www.mafia-designs.com
     
anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vegas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 03:56 AM
 
I can't wait till I can buy both Starbucks and Dell products at Walmart. Life would be so much smoother that way.
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 04:01 AM
 
[balmer] Visionaries! Visionaries! Visionaries![/balmer]

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 11:42 AM
 
Yet another example of the stupidity of human masses...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2005, 01:50 PM
 
Originally posted by Lateralus:

These commercials are made for and directed at Joe Schmoe, not the likes of us.
I disagree. They're directed at the financial folks and the day-trader financial folk wannabes.

To those people, visionary = $$$. If you make a lot of money, you are brilliant. If you cure cancer, you are only brilliant if you make huge financial gains from it.
     
lavar78
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Yorktown, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 12:56 PM
 
So I guess I'm the only one who watched the cartoon Visionaries? Sucks for y'all.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio
     
effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: hell (says dakar)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 04:40 PM
 
Originally posted by Lateralus:
... No, Joe Schmoe only cares that Starbucks makes him a better cup of coffee than he is capable of making, ...
Which is of course true only in regions where a mixture of ground-up animal droppings and recycled tires (aka "Folgers") is being labeled as "coffee" and sold as such ...



     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 04:45 PM
 
I don't see how anybody could deny that the Starbucks guy was a visionary. Without his bold foresight to provide me with delicious mochas, I'd never wake up.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 04:48 PM
 
f*ck starbucks.
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 05:03 PM
 
Originally posted by Chuckit:
I don't see how anybody could deny that the Starbucks guy was a visionary. Without his bold foresight to provide me with delicious mochas, I'd never wake up.
Uhh, he didn't invent mochas. That guy was a visionary.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 05:24 PM
 
Originally posted by hayesk:
To those people, visionary = $$$. If you make a lot of money, you are brilliant. If you cure cancer, you are only brilliant if you make huge financial gains from it.
I 'fear' you are right, sad but true.
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 05:41 PM
 
Originally posted by effgee:
Which is of course true only in regions where a mixture of ground-up animal droppings and recycled tires (aka "Folgers") is being labeled as "coffee" and sold as such ...



I was going to say that. Party pooper
     
effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: hell (says dakar)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 05:54 PM
 
Originally posted by Oisín:
I was going to say that. Party pooper


In keeping with the topic - shouldn't that have been "coffee pooper"?

     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2005, 05:58 PM
 
Good point, but I didn't want to give you diarrhoea
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,