Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Ms Word crashes on me every single time I use it

Ms Word crashes on me every single time I use it
toffe
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 09:24 AM

Hi there, i have a problem.
I just swithced to mac, and i have installed Microsoft Office 2004 student edition on it.
The problem is that when i use word, the beachball just spins and spins. Nothing else happens.
just that some microsoft error reporting opens (that does not respond either)

in system messages it says:

Microsoft Word(10971,0xa000ef98) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x71be434; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

So. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2005, 09:30 AM

Here's a thread on another forum concerning the same issue; there are a few suggestions. What version of OS X are you running? I would try reinstalling Word. And since you purchased from Microsoft, if you continue to have issues why not bug tech support?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 10:29 AM

Thanks. I have OS X Tiger 10.4.2
I'll try reinstalling word.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 11:43 AM

Also delete the Office-related preference files in ~/Library/Preferences. They'll all begin with the names com.microsoft.

In fact, you might even try that first, before you go to the trouble of re-installing.

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 02:51 PM

Thanks. I deleted the files and it word did not crash when i tried it (i didn't re-install it, just deleted the com.microsodt files)
If it crashes sometime, i'll return.

Does anyone know why the error occourred?

Forum Links
Forum Rules