Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > apple cinema with macbook

apple cinema with macbook
Ray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 03:12 PM

I just brought home my apple 23'' display and I am very pleased. I was consedering the dell but I feel good with my choice. Hopefully I'll be putting some pictures on here soon.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 03:14 PM

Dell make a song and dance about using the same panels as Apple. But not all panels are created equal, even if they are the same model. Dell used to quote higher specs on their 30" displays (same panel as the Apple one). Apple's units met these higher specs, Dell's didn't when someone tested them both.
It has long been rumoured that Apple pay a premium for their panels in exchange for first pick off the productions lines (Supposedly thats why they cost more). The above mentioned tests and the fact that I can count the number of dead pixels I have ever seen on Mac LCDS in every model that uses one on one hand, would seem to suggest this rumour is accurate. Or certainly that they are worth the extra few $.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 03:52 PM

yeah I agree but how many Dell LCDs have you seen with dead pixels?

Dell doesn't get crap... if they aren't exactly as great as apple, they are right up there with them.

I also would 100% buy apple LCDs if I had the money, or needed perfection... but I don't... so I don't need an ACD.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2007, 02:03 AM

I love my dell 2005FPS. I have had a Cinema Display, and loved it, but I love the Dell just as much, and even more for the price!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 05:22 AM

I had a 2005FPW at one point, and a Cinema 20 later on (returned both for different reasons). The panel was the same but there were differences in build, in particular the Dell had a terrible problem with backlight bleed. Have they solved that issue yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules