Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 memory

G5 memory
goto11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 11:03 PM

I ordered my dual 2.0 G5 and I'm in the market for a gig of 3200 DDR memory. First, who do you guys recommend to buy it from? Second, what specs should the chips have (400 mhz? CAS Latency? 64x4 or 32x8?) I never cared much before, but I'd really like to optimize this machine. Thanks.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 01:47 AM

If you go to http://www.crucial.com, you'll not only get a fair price on reliable memory, you'll find that they know exactly what your dual G5 wants.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by goto11:
I ordered my dual 2.0 G5 and I'm in the market for a gig of 3200 DDR memory. First, who do you guys recommend to buy it from? Second, what specs should the chips have (400 mhz? CAS Latency? 64x4 or 32x8?) I never cared much before, but I'd really like to optimize this machine. Thanks.
I recently bought 2 sticks of 512MB DDR3200 400Mhz CAS 2.5 memory, manufactured by Geil. I believe they're 32x8. Got it from newegg for $72 per stick (and it comes with a cool blue heat spreader). I have them in a P4 2.8Ghz/800Mhz system and I haven't had any problems with the memory.

I don't know the CAS latency of the memory that the G5 comes with, but certainly CAS 2 will be faster (and more expensive) than CAS 2.5 or 3.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2003, 01:43 PM

on the note of memory what is DDR400 registered ECC memory I know its different type of mem.

SillyMe
Jul 26, 2003, 12:20 AM

From Crucial:

Maximum memory: 8192MB
Standard memory: 512MB removable
Special Info:
Slots: 8 (4 banks of 2)
Explanation of memory terms

The largest they sell is 512MB-- 4GB max.

So to get 8GB (maxed out)...
Where does one get 1GB sticks of this kind of RAM?
What brand is reputable?
Is the price point OK right now or is it a wait and see/buy?

-SM

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by SillyMe:
From Crucial:

Maximum memory: 8192MB
Standard memory: 512MB removable
Special Info:
Slots: 8 (4 banks of 2)
Explanation of memory terms

The largest they sell is 512MB-- 4GB max.

So to get 8GB (maxed out)...
Where does one get 1GB sticks of this kind of RAM?
What brand is reputable?
Is the price point OK right now or is it a wait and see/buy?

-SM
Go to pricewatch or dealram and look for the best price. I always buy RAM on specs.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

CubeBoy
Jul 27, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
on the note of memory what is DDR400 registered ECC memory I know its different type of mem.
ECC= Error Correcting Code, basically, ECC memory has some unique circuitry to test data accuracy as data moves in and out of it (the memory). Mostly useful for servers and the like.

CubeBoy
Jul 27, 2003, 10:41 AM

Personally, I'm hoping the G5 will also be able to use PC-4000 DDR-500, shortly after it comes out. That way, their won't be any memory bottleneck.

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2003, 02:59 AM

Is it because the DDR DIMMS are 32 Bit Wide that we need to use 2 in the G5? with a 42 bit memory controller you would think you could use up to 4 TB of memory. Currently there are 2 Gig Sticks of DDR but they are very pricely something like $1000 each. I would assume these would work since the machines memory controller can handle it.

The prices I found on Macmall were $400-$249 The top memory was Kingsinton, middle was a company called edge, and the bottom was soemthing like gvp. what I found funny was that the GVP was something like $249 each for a 1 Gig stick but it was $1099 for 2 1 gig sticks in an upgrade kit.

Need less to say I wish Apple would have shipped the Dual 2.0 with 1 gig of memory instead of 512.

For me it's not the memory it's being with out my 23" lcds and dual 1.25 (OS 9 Booter) I sold it to my friend. Only 3-4 weeks left before shipment...
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

goto11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 09:55 AM

This is a stretch, but had anyone heard what the CAS latency of the memory that's coming with the dual G5 is supposed to be?

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by goto11:
This is a stretch, but had anyone heard what the CAS latency of the memory that's coming with the dual G5 is supposed to be?
Do you think it will be standard across the line, or the luck of the draw what CAS you get?

I remember reading when I bought my Cube that several people had gotten CAS 3 memory with their Cubes, but others had gotten CAS 2 memory (including myself). I'm guessing it depends on what parts they have available when they assemble the machine.

goto11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 11:32 AM

FYI, the Kingston KTA-G5400/1G (which is 2 512MB chips) has a CAS of 3-3-3. I had to dig a little for that info since they don't publish it.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 02:03 PM

Don't buy generic ram that you find on pricewatch, find a brand. With generic ram, you never know what you'll get, and it could crash your system a lot.

Anyways, crucial. Go to http://www.myhpclub.com
There's a graphic ad for crucial somewhere in there. Click on it, it'll take you to crucial.com with a coupon code for $25 off a 512 stick of ram. Must go from there to get the discount.

Forum Links
Forum Rules