Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.3 stability issue

Mac OS X 10.3 stability issue
chu-ka-pi
Nov 8, 2003, 05:31 PM

Hi all!

I posted this in the long "Mac OS X 10.3 bug list" but I thought I may just has well start a new thread...

Has anyone noticed some serious stability problem with Panther? I clean-installed Panther two days ago and today was my first real day of work with it... The OS crashed twice in the afternoon (with Keynote and Safari opened)... When I say crahed I should have said frozed. I was left with no choice but to reboot (yeah right, talk about a Unix system... :-/ )

Am I the only one to notice these stability issues?

I just hope this is not a virus :-)

CKP

cambolo
Nov 9, 2003, 02:37 PM

I had the same problem running Safari and Entourage. Freeze and, after a re-start, corruption of Entourage -lost all messages, address book, and all settngs. Managed to find old Microsoft User Data files, which had migrated, and re-installed them to get data back. Have no idea what caused the "crash" since I don't understand the crash logs.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 04:25 PM

Except for development-related issues, Panther has been just as stable as Jaguar for me. Mac OS X in general has not crashed on me since 10.2.3 or so, with its SMB problems.

Some of the apps in Panther (sys prefs, safari, etc) do seem to crash more. But now you can send the crashlog right to Apple.

BlueCat
Nov 10, 2003, 08:31 AM

Crashed - what is your definition of crashed in OSX? Having a touch under 3 weeks experience with OSX, I've not actually ever seen it 'crashed". I am a switcher and i can tell you when Windows crashes ... it crashes in style!!! ... blue screen of death is just one type!!!

I must say (and I've posted this in another thread), I'm sure it's after upgrading to Panther that my PB has on now 3 or 4 occasions, failed to awake properly from sleeping. To recap, the problem, my machine sleeps and then when I wake it, the screen is blank but the sleep indicator is off! I press the caps lock and the light comes on as normal, but the screen it blank. The only thing I can do is to power down with the Power button.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules