Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 38)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
We have? I've always preferred the PS3 app 100x more than the 360 one. Same with the family.
YOu've had it since march. I know because I found really old comments by PS3 users hating on it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 AM

First...

[Kotaku] Anonymous Claims PSN Hack Affecting 10 Million Accounts

Anonymous claims it broke into the PlayStation Network and has a 50 gigabyte database of email accounts and their passwords. Ten million accounts "are at risk," says the hacker involved. The passwords appear to be encrypted, and many of the accounts published in this document appear to be from northern Europe. This still would be a great time to double-check your password security.
Kotaku has contacted Sony for comment and will update as the situation progresses.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! !1

Then...

[Update: It's a Hoax]

[Update] The list in question appears to be a copy of this pastebin posting from March 19.

[Update] Shane Bettenhausen, with business development at Sony Computer Entertainment America, says the claim is "totally fake."
...oh.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2012, 12:09 PM

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...ast_minute.php

Although the game was in development for nearly three years, Hollis admitted that the popular multiplayer mode was made at the very last minute, and took only one month to build.

"It was done without the knowledge or permissions of the management at Rare and Nintendo," he laughed, noting that if the team had not put it together on the sly before showing it to management, there's no way it would have been allowed -- the game was already late as it was.
This is the most mind-blowing things I've read in some time.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2012, 09:48 AM

That's pretty ****in' amazing considering how awesome it was to play.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2012, 09:51 AM

Some awesome news that slippled under the radar...

Counter-Strike: Global Offense to be released Aug 21 on XBLA

Dude, Counter-Strike! Enough said. I lost track the number of months I lost playing the original and Source.

That's going to be 1500 M$ points well spent!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
(If it has the challenges from Burnout: Paradise - SOLD)
Ask and ye shall receive! Looking forward to playing it with you then...

NFS: Most Wanted multiplayer will include challenges for up to 12 people!

Mark October 30 on your calendar. Gonna be awesome!

Here's a more detailed video about multiplayer.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2012, 08:35 AM

Damn, I forgot all about NFS: Most Wanted. I'm going to have a hard time splitting up my time between this game, Borderlands 2, Halo 4 and BF3 DLC.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2012, 10:35 AM

I'm still gonna wait and see, so far it doesn't share anything from Most Wanted other than the name. This Burnout 2 all the way, and it's looking grim for me more and more like a pass for me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2012, 10:05 AM

Hmmm... I'd like to say I'd wait and see how it gets compared to Paradise, but I know that if amazon puts it on presale for $40 I'll probably jump on regardless.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2012, 12:57 AM

RIP Sony Liverpool/Psygnosis 1984-2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19350856

They have been closed down . Barbarian, Lemmings, the Wipeout games.

Shame it's gone.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I'm still gonna wait and see, so far it doesn't share anything from Most Wanted other than the name. This Burnout 2 all the way, and it's looking grim for me more and more like a pass for me.
Yeah, I'm not buying it for the NFS name. Burnout Paradise was an awesome game and Criterion makes a good racing game. That's what has me sold!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
RIP Sony Liverpool/Psygnosis 1984-2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19350856
They have been closed down . Barbarian, Lemmings, the Wipeout games.
Shame it's gone.
Good ol' Psygnosis. I know I've played a few of their games. Definitely Lemmings on the Mac. I probably played Wipeout.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2012, 11:36 AM

http://kotaku.com/5938229/gaming-acc...on-november-18

The Wii U release date is not supposed to be public yet and will presumably be made official, along with the machine's price at a major New York City even on September 13.

UPDATE: PDP community manager Candace Hinton tells Kotaku that "at this time we can't confirm Nintendo's dates and we don't know exactly what was heard, but we simply do not know that this point. We are launching accessories, but the date for the accessories doesn't mean a confirmation on the hardware. If you seek confirmation on the date that is something that is going to need to go specifically though Nintendo, but we can't confirm or deny dates on any of their hardware."

UPDATE 2: A rep for Nintendo says: "We have nothing to announce at this time."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2012, 03:16 AM

Very technical, very long, very interesting article :

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-todays-cpus/

I didn't understand all of it.

P
Aug 29, 2012, 03:58 AM

That thing has been crossposted all over, it seems. Anyway: The point is that instead of checking the average number of frames per second, they check how long it takes to render each frame. This ought to be a better measurement of "smooth" than picking the averages. This is interesting, because it shows the worst case situation for a CPU, and it turns out that Sandy Bridge really shines. Given that the architectural changes from Lynnfield are rather small, this is slightly surprising, but the new icache and the generalized load/store units apparently did help the worst case - and possibly the turbo is quicker to kick in as well. Intel has really turned around - from the Pentium 4, which focused heavily on "making the common case fast and the other case right" and had edgecases where a single instruction could take thousands of cycles to execute, to Sandy Bridge which just works harder when it has to.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2012, 12:54 PM

Amazing that the Minecraft thread has hit 60 pages. I know that there are a lot of images but still.

Bravo to Markus Persson.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 12:05 AM

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/wii-u-priced-31500-26250-in-japan-available-december-8/

Wii U in Japan on December 8th, USA and Europe announcements to come today.

26,250 yen ($338) 8GB storage white basic model and 31,500 yen ($405) 32GB storage black premium model with stands for the Wii and gamepad and a Network Premium subscription.

The gamepad is 13,440 yen ($173) standalone. They have 2GB RAM, 1GB for the system, 1GB for games. The discs hold 25GB data (Blu-ray?).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2012, 06:24 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...y-november-18/

At a press event today in New York, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils Aime announced that the Wii U will launch in the United States on Sunday, November 18.

The system will come in two configurations: A white basic set at $299.99 that comes with a Wii U Gamepad, AC adapter and HDMI cable. A black deluxe set, costing $349.99, will include all that plus more internal memory, a GamePad charging cradle, stands for the gamepad and console, and a copy of NintendoLand. The deluxe edition will also let users redeem points for every digital download purchased for the system.
Does not bode well for next-next-gen prices.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 06:40 AM

Wii TVii : Collecting together the online TV/film accounts you've already got and your DVR into a viewer on the Wii and calling it something new - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/nintendo-announces-nintendo-tvii/

ibook_steve
Sep 13, 2012, 01:19 PM

Why would anyone not pay the extra $50 to get the deluxe set? From 2 GB storage to 32 GB? Plus Nintendo Land? It seems like a no-brainer.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2012, 01:23 PM

Why is 32 GB the biggest size? I can get a 32 GB thumb drive for 20 dollars, jesus Nintendo.

ibook_steve
Sep 13, 2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Why is 32 GB the biggest size?  I can get a 32 GB thumb drive for 20 dollars, jesus Nintendo.
I thought the 2 vs. 32 was built-in flash, not expandable storage. If it is referring to the SDHC, as you are saying, then I agree, that's not as great. But considering games are $60 (!), the deluxe is still the way to go.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 AM

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.ufiwcpyw_aq

PS3 looks ridiculous in every chart.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2012, 11:19 AM

3DO by far has that title. It was over $400 of any it's competition during it's release, with no major difference other than the CD drive at the time. NeoGeo was high but ultimately it's game prices are what killed it. $199 retail. No matter what the price of the console for game prices like that, that was suicide.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 14, 2012, 11:52 AM

Historically, I agree. However for the past two generations, no one comes close to touching the PS3.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2012, 01:30 PM

True but it did at least offer new technology at the start no one else had when it came out, to push the price up. At launch it had Blu-ray (bare drives were still like $400), built in card readers, built in WiFi, user upgradable HDD, full PS2 hardware emulation, free online play, motion control (not exactly new, but for the hard core gamer with a standard controller), Linux support (at the time). Luckily they had strong first party support. Personally I think that was the only reason they made it out of that bad start.

If you added on the accessories that the 360 needed at the time. HDD Size 20GB vs 40GB, WiFi, battery kits for controllers, it wasn't that much more. Its just they packed it all in and gave you no option to trim that price. It was an all or nothing.

P
Sep 15, 2012, 12:59 AM

Sony's issue with the PS3 is that they were pushed to deliver it about a year sooner than they would have liked. A year later and they could have launched at $400 with all those features and the launch games that they needed, but MS and HD-DVD forced their hand.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Sony's issue with the PS3 is that they were pushed to deliver it about a year sooner than they would have liked. A year later and they could have launched at $400 with all those features and the launch games that they needed, but MS and HD-DVD forced their hand.
I agree with that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2012, 05:44 AM

True but
There's no but – the thing could have given out blowjobs, but that doesn't make it more affordable. The price of Blu-Ray was certainly fair given how new the technology was but it doesn't change that it hamstrung the system because they jumped in too soon (Regardless of the reasons). And as the 360 demonstrates, you could still have a very passable system for most of this gen on DVD alone.

Not to mention they were taking a bigger loss on each sold because they knew the damn thing was too expensive.

If you added on the accessories that the 360 needed at the time. HDD Size 20GB vs 40GB, WiFi, battery kits for controllers, it wasn't that much more. Its just they packed it all in and gave you no option to trim that price. It was an all or nothing.
This seems like another way to indict Sony's thinking.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 04:42 PM

Just watched the Nintendo keynote.

Ugh....not impressed. (And some of you might know what a crazy Nintendo fanboy i was/am).

Issues:
1. The controller. They've thrown everything into it except for the kitchen sink. It's too "busy" and lacks focus (as opposed to the Wiimote IMHO).

2. They found a way to completely ruin Metroid (after that OtherM fiasco). Prime seems like a distant memory(albiet a great one).

3. "New Super Mario Bros" ? LOOKS way too much like a rehash upped-res version of what they have done before.

4. Nintendoland? Ugh... oversaturated visuals, and a minigame mashup. ENOUGH

5. Launch lineup: anemic.

6. Launch time, two years too late.

7. Launch price, too high for 2012. They will pull a 3DS-style-drop-in-price in March when they realize that Sony and M$ will be coming up with their new consoles.

8. Marketing. "Wii" was original. "WiiU", "TVii"..are not.

They have become lazy with success IMHO.

Comments?

P
Sep 19, 2012, 12:10 AM

Bioware founders leaving the company. Play some Baldur's Gate in their honor, curse EA some more, and expect lots more games like DA2 as EA milks the franchises to the last drop.

And then go support the Obsidian Kickstarter, even thought it has already passed the Mac version stretch goal by now (it had not when I donated).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2012, 02:33 AM

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/19/tgs-new-playstation-3-model-is-official
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47584/new-slimmer-ps3-28-september

PS3 slimmer than the Slim. Slidey door instead of slot load optical. 250GB or 500GB hard drive in USA, 500GB HD or 12GB flash in Europe and PAL places, with the option of a 250GB external drive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2012, 04:55 AM

What do people think of the slidey door?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2012, 05:01 AM

If its a motorised door, possibly cool but not as much as a slot load. If its a manual door to push and pull across, cheap crap.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2012, 06:15 AM

Someone on NeoGAF pointed out that in Japan the PS3 and WiiU are selling at near identical prices. That's insane.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2012, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
If its a motorised door, possibly cool but not as much as a slot load. If its a manual door to push and pull across, cheap crap.
After watching the video, the door is spring loaded. It pops open when you press a button, then must be manually closed by hand. As the owner of a slim PS3, I'm not likely to upgrade to the new "super slim" model.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 11:24 AM

In this thread instead of the BL2 thread because.

So a few of the hackers in my clan got Borderlands 2 before it came out. And they're playing it while connected to XBL.

Why don't Microsoft and/or Gearbox (or any other game dev company for that matter) just ban these people straight away? Yes I realize that its a very small minority, but still. They can surely see who is playing a game and when. Plus one of these guys has already had an account banned. You'd have thought that they'd be watching people like him closely.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2012, 10:50 AM

Semi-negative article because I am who I am:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...with-slow-cpu/

Speaking at this week's Tokyo Game Show, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper producer Akihiro Suzuki told Eurogamer that the Wii U's CPU power is actually "a little bit less" than the Xbox 360 and PS3, leading to some specific drawbacks in the Wii U port of the game. "When you have a lot of enemies coming at you at once, the performance tends to be affected because of the CPU," he said. "Dealing with that is a challenge."

In terms of pure graphical capabilities, though, Suzuki said the Wii U was a distinct improvement over current HD consoles. "From a visual standpoint, based on the performance of the Wii U, we knew the game had the capability of having much better graphics than games on PS3 and Xbox 360," he said. "Make no mistake, from a visual standpoint, it is able to produce better graphics."

That description of the system's graphical prowess lines up with a recent demonstration of Call of Duty: Black Ops on the Wii U running at full 1080p and 60 frames per second, a performance that current consoles would struggle to achieve.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...es-base-price/

When the PS3 "slim" model was introduced back in 2009, the hardware redesign came along with a $50 drop (to $300) for both the new hardware and the remaining stock of old systems. Yesterday's announcement of the new "Super Slim" PS3 design actually went the opposite direction, raising the price of the cheapest PS3 available from $250 to $270.

It's especially baffling for Sony to be raising the PS3's price for the first time right before the holiday buying season, where the system will be competing with a $200 base-level Xbox 360 (potentially drawing value-minded holiday shoppers) and the brand new Wii U, starting at $300 (potentially drawing the novelty-minded).
This may have been posted already, but that is baffling. I don't envy having to craft Sony's PS4 strategy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2012, 02:19 PM

I don't envy having to craft Sony's PS4 strategy.
Can they be successful without beating MS on price and tech?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Can they be successful without beating MS on price and tech?
I think their greatest competition is themselves. They set the bar so high with the PS3 that they need something interesting to lure their loyal customers to upgrade from the outset.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2012, 11:07 AM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2012, 06:40 AM

Many photos and a hardware write up of the new PS3.

http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-ps3-super-slim-review

I didn't realise that the PS3 slim was bigger front to back than the fat PS3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2012, 06:45 AM

Marginally. But wow the slim(mer) is a significant change.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2012, 07:45 AM

So my PS3 (5-years-old, fat) finally bit the dust after making horrible grinding sounds for several months.

When this started, I thought I'd buy a replacement, but since the next generation of hardware is relatively close, I'm not sure I want to drop $250 for a PS3 that I'll only use for a year and a half or so, especially since 95% percent of my recent console gaming has been on 360.

In other news, FIFA 13 is freaking incredible. It's the only sports series that I've ever known to string together 5 years of significant improvement.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2012, 07:47 AM

I can't believe you held to a single system that long.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 07:53 AM

My PS3 is still going strong. 60GB Fat updated with a 250GB drive. Thing is a tank for me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2012, 09:23 AM

I can't believe you held to a single system that long.
It's the only system this generation that I haven't traded in. I never even considered it -- was a great machine.

My PS3 is still going strong. 60GB Fat updated with a 250GB drive. Thing is a tank for me.
I had placed a 500GB hard drive in it. The sucker held all my favorite Seinfeld episodes, all my son's Baby Einstein videos, a ridiculous amount of DLC and downloaded games...

Yeah, I'm going to have to buy a replacement. I've got too much invested into it. Through Playstation Plus and years of collecting, I've probably got 80 PSN and PS1 classics on there. Also, I'm now thankful for cloud storage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2012, 09:25 AM

Here's the Wii U launch line-up:

Call of Duty Black Ops 2

Skylanders Giants

Transformers Prime

Wipeout 3

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Nintendo Land

Sing Party

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

Darksiders 2

Assassin's Creed 3

ESPN Sports Connection

Just Dance 4

Rabbids Land

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013

ZombiU

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Game Party Champions

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 01:38 PM

Mass Effect 3 is coming to Wii U, but not the Mass Effect Trilogy? Certainly that would be the better plan, Bioware.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2012, 06:21 PM

Even casual gamers are going to look the other way this gen -- they already have an iPad, iPhone, or Android for the crap games they play. The Wii U is already dead.

...and I'll be able to tell you more after I'm done with mine, thinking about trading it in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules