Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does VPC Update contain the full version?

Does VPC Update contain the full version?
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 08:29 AM

I began with Virtual PC 3 and have updates several times. If I buy the VPC 7 upgrade version, does it ship with a full version, or does it only update a previously installed version? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Chris

Louis_SX
Jun 30, 2005, 09:26 AM

From MS's website, it looks like you need VPC 5 or better to be eligible for the upgrade:

Upgrade to Virtual PC for Mac Version 7

The first full release of Virtual PC for Mac from Microsoft, Version 7 has been re-engineered to work better on the newest Mac generation. Users of version 5.0 or higher will enjoy an out of this world out of the box experience with easy installation, seamless printing functionality (with OS X 10.3) and improved overall performance, including better graphics handling and the shut-down ease of fast save. And if you’re on the screaming G5, Version 7 is the only way to go.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 09:39 AM

Yes, but I wonder if the upgrade simply updates the previous installation, or if it installs the whole thing. Anyone who has purchased the upgrade should be able to help.

Chris

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 01:06 AM

this is what you do:

step 1: pirate it.
step 2: send MS an invoice for wasting your time with such a slow and shitty program.

btw, v2 was the faster on my 300mhz g3 with 512 ram, then v3-7 is on my 1 ghz g4 with 1 gb ram. this is true for win98 and 2000. maybe it's cause v2 was last version with real video hardward acceleration. not sure why they took it out. v7 was suppose to get it back in, but MS failed, again.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
Yes, but I wonder if the upgrade simply updates the previous installation, or if it installs the whole thing. Anyone who has purchased the upgrade should be able to help.

Chris
IIRC, the upgrade installs the whole thing and checks your system for an eligible prior version (or allows you to enter the old version serial number).

I don't believe it "upgrades" an existing version.

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69
IIRC, the upgrade installs the whole thing and checks your system for an eligible prior version (or allows you to enter the old version serial number).

I don't believe it "upgrades" an existing version.
Thanks. I think the earlier version upgrades were the same. I am at the point where I have upgraded so many times that I don't think I can ever reinstall from scratch again. Every upgrade requires a previous version, but the only original version I own is version 3, which cannot be installed any more.

Perhaps I'll just call Microsoft and explain this to see what they say.

Chris

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2005, 01:40 PM

Microsoft just confirmed that the upgrade installer checks for a prior version. Their rep suggested I just purchase a standalone version rather than the upgrade installer.

Chris

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2005, 02:12 PM

In the past, VPC upgrades have contained the whole application but refused to install unless the previous version was already present. It seems that Microsoft is continuing this tradition.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules