Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Up

Up
Brien
Professional Poster
May 28, 2009, 03:03 PM

Just got home from a screening. Great film. Doesn't feel as 'kiddie' to be. Much like I'd guessed from the trailer, that bird has some of the best laughs of the film.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 03:31 PM

I have tickets to see it tonight.

Did you watch it in 3D or regular?
( Last edited by mdc; May 28, 2009 at 03:38 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2009, 03:44 PM

Wait, is the plot about someone that has to get home? That would be original for a PIxar film.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Salty
Professional Poster
May 28, 2009, 05:02 PM

I think it involves ballooons.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 11:02 PM

Rumor has it that Pixar never creates a bad movie.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 11:12 PM

A Pixar movie about a grumpy old man? It's like they were thinking of ME when they made it.

Sign me up!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 01:23 AM

Are there any sex scenes?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Are there any sex scenes?
I thought you are more interested in poop scenes

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 03:35 AM

He's besson "Sanchez" 3c to you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I thought you are more interested in poop scenes

-t
No, I'm not really into watching people poop, just in the subject matter itself and interesting poop experiences: cool locations, poop pranks, strategic pooping, pooping for fun, pooping on senior citizens, etc. I think what would be cool is pooping into a helium balloon, letting it float away, and then wait until a bird pops the balloon or it runs out of helium and lands somewhere.

I'm not really into mixing sex with poop though.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No, I'm not really into watching people poop, just in the subject matter itself and interesting poop experiences: cool locations, poop pranks, strategic pooping, pooping for fun, pooping on senior citizens, etc. I think what would be cool is pooping into a helium balloon, letting it float away, and then wait until a bird pops the balloon or it runs out of helium and lands somewhere.

I'm not really into mixing sex with poop though.
Knowing my luck with the deadly accuracy of birds, that helium balloon would land smack dead in the center of my car windshield.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2009, 08:11 AM

I watched Up last night and really enjoyed it. I think it's one of my favourite Pixar movies so far.

At my cinema when they started playing the trailers before the movie they had some technical difficulties. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but we didn't have a short film before Up. Did anyone else not see one?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 11:11 PM

Good movie, but I didn't like the 3D-ness. It made me a bit nauseated. I'll stick with 2D from now on.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
At my cinema when they started playing the trailers before the movie they had some technical difficulties. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but we didn't have a short film before Up. Did anyone else not see one?
There was a short about where babies come from.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 30, 2009, 12:44 AM

I saw it in 3D and really liked it. Still not as good as most of the others but in no way disappointing really. It is always so amazing how well they tell the story with no words.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 30, 2009, 11:28 AM

So for those of you that have seen this (or other) movies in the new 3D, is the new 3D actually better than the old 3D? Or is it still just pretty dorky?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2009, 12:03 PM

I haven't seen it (I didn't even know Pixar released a flick this year), but I do hope that as Pixar continues to release movies, they don't start to slide on quality. I think it's getting to the point where people expect anything from Pixar to be awesome, and reviews kind of ride on that assumption.

Not to say that their movies thus far haven't deserved the accolades they've received...just that I hope they're careful to keep up the quality so they don't rely on their name more than the story.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
So for those of you that have seen this (or other) movies in the new 3D, is the new 3D actually better than the old 3D? Or is it still just pretty dorky?
The image from the polarized glasses are better than those blue and red ones by a long shot. (The ones we got were plastic, and felt like a black version of Elton John's sunglasses.) The impact of the 3D effects were nice too. For Up, it added to the movie, but did not dominate it.

However, like I said, it gave me slight nausea so if I had to watch it again I'd definitely go to a non-3D version.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I haven't seen it (I didn't even know Pixar released a flick this year), but I do hope that as Pixar continues to release movies, they don't start to slide on quality. I think it's getting to the point where people expect anything from Pixar to be awesome, and reviews kind of ride on that assumption.

Not to say that their movies thus far haven't deserved the accolades they've received...just that I hope they're careful to keep up the quality so they don't rely on their name more than the story.
In other words, all is well if they continue to produce good movies.

If they start producing bad movies, they won't meet expectations, and that will be bad.

Um…yeah?

Rumor
May 30, 2009, 02:51 PM

My girlfriend went to see it last week at Pixar. One of our friends works there. Sadly, I had to work.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
In other words, all is well if they continue to produce good movies.

If they start producing bad movies, they won't meet expectations, and that will be bad.

Um…yeah?
IMO, Pixar has had unusual success in producing consistently good films over a fairly long period of time (Toy Story, which seems to have started it all, came out nearly fifteen years ago - in 1995). It would be easy for them to start producing mediocre movies that would still get accolades because it's Pixar.

Kind of like how anything Google or Apple releases is seen as awesome and innovative, simply because of the company behind the project. Google has done a pretty good job of continually releasing quality products - and continually improving on existing products and services, but it's easy for them to get a big head and start churning out the same vapid crap everyone else is creating.

It was just an observation.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
IMO, Pixar has had unusual success in producing consistently good films over a fairly long period of time (Toy Story, which seems to have started it all, came out nearly fifteen years ago - in 1995). It would be easy for them to start producing mediocre movies that would still get accolades because it's Pixar.
No. Cars would be an example. It's OK but not great movie that got OK but not great reviews.

Pixar's other movies got very good reviews because they're very good movies.

Rumor
May 30, 2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
No. Cars would be an example. It's OK but not great movie that got OK but not great reviews.

Pixar's other movies got very good reviews because they're very good movies.
I blame that on Larry the Cable Guy.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2009, 11:12 PM

Got home about an hour ago from seeing the movie. Took the entire family (eight of us) and everyone (from 7 to 52) enjoyed it. We saw it in 2D and I really don't think we missed anything that 3D would have given us.

Overall, a very good movie. Sad, happy, funny, suspenseful, thought provoking, and slightly tear jerking all describe it. I think one of Pixar's best. Hopefully more quality to come.
macforray

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2009, 11:34 PM

There was a short about where babies come from.

So how was the short? Is it better, worse or about the same as Presto?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
Overall, a very good movie. Sad, happy, funny, suspenseful, thought provoking, and slightly tear jerking all describe it. I think one of Pixar's best. Hopefully more quality to come.
I think Up was very consistently good. To compare it to the last Pixar movie I saw:

I was more involved with the entirety of Up than the 2nd half of WALL-E. However, the first half of WALL-E impressed me more than any other Pixar movie I've ever seen. In fact, the first half of WALL-E is amongst the most perfect of (parts of) movies overall I've seen.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
So how was the short? Is it better, worse or about the same as Presto?
Much better than Presto IMO. I thought Presto was good, but it wasn't one of my favourites amongst Pixar shorts. I really found Partly Cloudy quite cute, in a good way.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
May 31, 2009, 07:26 AM

Tastes are subjective. I thought Cars was a great movie, in my Pixar top three, but genuinely disliked Ratatouille, which I think got as good or better reviews.

Dreamworks has really been stepping up its game lately, getting past its Shrek-syndrome (relying on voices and flatulence humor). Its last couple of movies might as well have been Pixar movies, so I don't think that Pixar is in danger of getting false accolades any time soon.

That said, I saw Up last night and, like most have said, very good. Very touching. The girlfriend cried (don't tell her I told you), and I LOL'd a couple of times. Definitely up to the Pixar standard.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
Tastes are subjective. I thought Cars was a great movie, in my Pixar top three, but genuinely disliked Ratatouille, which I think got as good or better reviews.
Yes, tastes are subjective, but Cars generally is considered the black sheep of the family. For example, it is the only Pixar movie to get below 90 at RT, and it got way below that at 75. That's still considered OK, but means reviews are fairly mixed about it.

Here are the scores:

75% - Cars
91% - A Bug's Life
95% - Monsters, Inc.
96% - Ratatouille
96% - WALL-E
97% - The Incredibles
98% - Finding Nemo
100% - Toy Story
100% - Toy Story 2

Up is at 98% as well.

In other words, the critics taken as a group don't seem to think Cars is quite in the same league as the other Pixar movies... and I happen to agree.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 03:07 PM

I loved Ratatouille. I think what I enjoy about Pixar is that the stories though often about someone needing to get home... tend to be something that nobody's ever done before. The closest exception being the incredibles.

As far as Dreamworks... what are you talking about? I saw Monsters Vs. Aliens and it was AWFUL!

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 03:10 PM

Oh sorry, should also say I LOVED UP. Probably one of my favourites.

I think my favourites would be...
The Incredibles,
Nemo,
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Monsters...

haven't seen A Bug's Life or Cars... and didn't really love Toy Story though I can understand it was a good movie at the time...

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2009, 03:35 PM

I thought monsters vs aliens was actually quite fun.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2009, 10:22 PM

Yes, tastes are subjective, but Cars generally is considered the black sheep of the family.
In its defense, TIME listed Cars as one of the best movies of the year, and even Rotten Tomatoes named it best animated feature of the year. Still, I know it didn't get the reviews that Ratatouille did. Maybe it was the Larry the Cable Guy factor (but honestly, is Patton Oswald any better?)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2009, 10:41 PM

Cars was the only Pixar movie I felt "meh" about. In addition, it's the only Pixar movie that came across to me as truly a kiddie movie.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I thought monsters vs aliens was actually quite fun.
Really? I thought it was awful. What was with Colbert's bit? It wasn't even funny. There were a few times I laughed but it was just one big string of running jokes that weren't really that funny.

andi*pandi
Jun 3, 2009, 03:53 PM

Maybe it was the 3D, or maybe I picked up on the jokes that were meant for those over 30? There were a lot of references.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2009, 10:23 AM

I dono, the end where the bad guy just starts cloning himself, but apparently all his clones are stupid? What was with that? Like I'm not gonna say the entire thing was awful, but the ending really ruined it for me.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I dono, the end

Have you heard of the spoiler tag?!!? I think you just ruined Monsters v. Aliens for me.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2009, 04:52 PM

I watched Up with my 5 year old last night, and I thought the movie was good, but the 3D was disappointing. I guess I was expecting some of the old style 3D where things look like they come out of the screen, but this new style isn't as much fun. Sure, the picture feels like it has more depth, but without things coming out of the screen at you, it isn't worth paying extra to see it.

So thumbs up to the movie, thumbs down to the new 3D.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Have you heard of the spoiler tag?!!? I think you just ruined Monsters v. Aliens for me.
Sorry, Dreamworks did that for you It's an awful movie don't waste your money.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2009, 11:43 PM

I currently have a 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, and 12 year old living in my house. I assure you, I will see the movie no matter what. I had hoped for a little enjoyment out of it, thanks for ruining that for me $#!&+@&.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 02:29 AM

I currently have a 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, and 12 year old living in my house. I assure you, I will see the movie no matter what. I had hoped for a little enjoyment out of it, thanks for ruining that for me $#!&+@&.
Yeah, like what he said has most assuredly ruined the movie for you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 04:54 AM

I've heard it's pretty good, and the least you could do is go back and add in spoiler tags via the "Edit" function.

andi*pandi
Jun 7, 2009, 03:13 PM

not to drag this further off topic, but of the non-pixar animated movies I've toted kids to this year:

monsters vs aliens > bolt > anything else.

and oooh: Apple - Trailers - Toy Story 3 - Large

Railroader
Banned
Jun 7, 2009, 08:39 PM

Yeah, like what he said has most assuredly ruined the movie for you.
Thanks for your input.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks for your input.
No problem. You were overreacting pretty heavily to his non-spoiler comment, so I thought the rolled-eyes worked well.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 8, 2009, 11:24 AM

No problem. You were overreacting pretty heavily to his non-spoiler comment, so I thought the rolled-eyes worked well.
In your opinion.

I still really wish I could go into his post and add spoiler tags. He's possibly ruining the movie for a lot of people.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 12:58 PM

Pixar flies employee, DVD to dying 10-year-old Calif. girl whose final wish was to see 'Up'

The 10-year-old girl desperately wanted to see the new Disney-Pixar movie, "Up." But the cancer-stricken girl was too sick to go to a theatre.

Thanks to a family friend who got in touch with the movie studio Pixar, an employee of the Emeryville-based company arrived at Colby's home with a DVD copy of the movie, The Orange County Register reported Friday. The girl died later that night.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 01:41 PM

Wow that's crazy.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2009, 09:00 PM

Finally arrived down under.

Best. Pixar. Movie. Ever.

There, I've said it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links