Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printers and Test pages

Printers and Test pages
Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 10:49 PM

So, every single time I turn on my HP psc 1300, it prints a test page. I find it very annoying, and I'd hate to leave it on all the time.

Does anyone know of a way to disable this 'feature'?

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2006, 12:17 AM

Bump. Still haven't figured out a way to disable this 'feature'.

gustavopi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 02:56 PM

Humm. There is no "bios" on this kind of printer, so should not had this "feature". Some HP printers, when a certain button is pressed for a few secons, makes a print test.
See HP Photosmart Series Printers - How To Print Internal Tests�

So it can be a "short-cut" in the control panel of the printer, or a bad configuration of the driver - System may send some printer code that is understod as a "print test" insted a "hello".

Made myself clear? I don't speak english...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 05:12 PM

Actually the printer does have an internal processor with its own start up system, so in a way it does have a "BIOS." But it should also have a menu system to allow you to configure it from the printer itself so you can turn off the test page thing. Out of curiosity, does the test page give printer status like number of pages printed and toner level?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 01:31 AM

It shows the steps to install ink, and what looks like an ink test. It'll print this if it's turned on with the computer off, and it'll do it if the computer is on when I turn it on as well. It's really a pain, as it just wastes ink.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2006, 09:32 AM

Have you tried running the HP Director software and checking the available settings?

Chris

gustavopi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 03:08 PM

I think you should try to reset phisically the printer. These printers got internal counters and feautures than only technical assistance know (only "they" know"). This could be a bug, malfuncion or something stored inside (maybe in a flash memory) that keep saying "print page #?". But if you turn the logic board to default factory settings this should vanish (like we do in cell phones...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules