Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone into RC (remote controlled) cars/trucks? [JPEG]

Anyone into RC (remote controlled) cars/trucks? [JPEG]
Railroader
Banned
Apr 10, 2007, 10:10 PM

I got into the hobby last summer. I always wanted a nice RC truck as a kid and decided to splurge and buy myself a middle of the road RC truck. I settled on a Duratrax Evader ST which is a 1/10th scale stadium truck.

I don't have access to a dirt track so I bought some nice (read expensive) road tires. I had fun for a while, but after reading a little bit on some RC forums I decided I needed to go faster. I ended up getting a Novak Brushless ESC and Motor. YOWZAH! Amazingly fast. Then I started messing with various gearing ratios and I think I got up to about 50+ MPH. The only downfall is I am buying a new set of rear tires every couple weeks. And the torque is so great that I have to let off the throttle to turn as the wheels are barely touching the ground. If I pull the throttle full power at take off I either strip gears in the transmission or do a flip from the wheelies.

I decided not to get into nitro as I didn't want to mess with fuel and the engine noise. The brushless motor is nearly silent and about the only sound the car makes is the friction of the wheels on the road.

There's a newly paved parking lot that near me that is glass smooth and very rarely used, and I asked the owners if they minded me using it and they gave me permission as long as there aren't any cars in it. Let's just say I am ready for some nice weather so I can go and destroy some more tires.

I'd post an actual picture of my car but it is not a pretty sight as I have crashed it and scratched it all pretty badly.

I have bought a few other project cars that I haven't had time to mess with. A RWD Trinity spec racer, and a 4WD spec car.

I recently picked up a Losi 1/36th scale Micro-T and have been having fun modding it and tweaking it. It has settled my desires to get out my 1/10th scale truck.

This little guy is VERY fast and fun. It is essentially a shrunk down version of the 1/10th models. EDIT: Do a search for "losi micro-t" on youtube to get an idea of this little guy's capabilities.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 10, 2007, 10:36 PM

Yeah, once I'm out of school I'll play with mine more:

IT's a tamiya WRC celica GT-four, RC10 chassis,aftermarket carbon fiber shock towers, aftermarket sways, and a few other goodies. It's AWD, of course. Props on the choice for goign electric... nitro just seems too messy for a toy of this size. What batteries are you running? Mine suck.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
What batteries are you running? Mine suck.
I have two LiPo 7.4 V 4800 mAh Team Orion Platinum Edition 4800 LiPo Battery w/ dean's connectors.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Apr 11, 2007, 03:42 AM

I've used the Proline Dirtworks tires for road running. More of an AT type truck tire. Anything that you get with pins will be toast in a few runs especially with brushless motors these days on pavement.

Also, you can loosen your slipper clutch up some to help with the "power" issue, but beware, don't go too lose and you'll cook it (it's that squeel you should hear at take off) too tight and you be eating up spurs or tranny gears.

Ever break your steering servo, upgrade to a "metal geared" model such as my favorite Futaba S3305 Servo. You can go Digital, but not needed unless your racing.
- Eric

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 11, 2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I have two LiPo 7.4 V 4800 mAh Team Orion Platinum Edition 4800 LiPo Battery w/ dean's connectors.
Wow! $130 battery! Must be super good eh? What's the runtime?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 08:17 AM

How much does a middle of the road truck run?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2007, 09:51 AM

i had a Tamiya TXT-1 up until just last week; sold it.

Tamiya America Item #58280 | RC TXT-1

Lots of fun. I put in another $350 of upgrades including a Novak Super Rooster, upgraded oil suspension and new motors. Converted it to use dual batteries and had a run time of around 18 minutes at full balls out.

It was a lot of fun when I lived downtown; had lots of places to run. Now that I'm in the burbs; I don't know, just didn't seem as fun.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
How much does a middle of the road truck run?
$200-$300

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 11:14 AM

Wow! $130 battery! Must be super good eh? What's the runtime?
I got a good deal on them when I bought them with the motor set up. The motor with the two batteries and charger were $430. Worth every penny. I often go places and know I won't be recharging so I bought those.

I don't know how long the actual runtime is, but I have usually broken a few things by the time I am halfway done with a second battery. Just under an hour per battery I am guessing. And I am brutal on them.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 11:17 AM

$200-$300
That seems reasonable.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH View Post
I've used the Proline Dirtworks tires for road running. More of an AT type truck tire. Anything that you get with pins will be toast in a few runs especially with brushless motors these days on pavement.

Also, you can loosen your slipper clutch up some to help with the "power" issue, but beware, don't go too lose and you'll cook it (it's that squeel you should hear at take off) too tight and you be eating up spurs or tranny gears.

Ever break your steering servo, upgrade to a "metal geared" model such as my favorite Futaba S3305 Servo. You can go Digital, but not needed unless your racing.
I use the Pro Line Speed Hawgs for the most part.

I have burned up too many slipper clutches. I run it pretty tight and just use judicious throttle now.

I switched to metal geared servos about a week into owning the car. Haven't need to replace in about a year. I never should have bought that replacement extra one.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i had a Tamiya TXT-1 up until just last week; sold it.

Tamiya America Item #58280 | RC TXT-1

[img]http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/product/250/58280/header_1.jpg[img]

Lots of fun. I put in another $350 of upgrades including a Novak Super Rooster, upgraded oil suspension and new motors. Converted it to use dual batteries and had a run time of around 18 minutes at full balls out.

It was a lot of fun when I lived downtown; had lots of places to run. Now that I'm in the burbs; I don't know, just didn't seem as fun.
Nice!

I have thought about building a crawler from scratch. I have just about everything but the tires and transmission.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 12:27 PM

I have a Traxxas Nitro Rustler with off-road tires and a deep vee nitro boat. I love the nitro engines! Just can't bring myself to switch to batteries after using a real combustion engine. Maybe another boat with batteries, but I'm struggling with that.

not my picture, but that's a Rustler with stock wheels. I kept blowing those wheels off.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by memento View Post
I have a Traxxas Nitro Rustler with off-road tires and a deep vee nitro boat. I love the nitro engines! Just can't bring myself to switch to batteries after using a real combustion engine. Maybe another boat with batteries, but I'm struggling with that.

not my picture, but that's a Rustler with stock wheels. I kept blowing those wheels off.
[IMG]http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/nrustler/gallery/nrustler002-fast.jpg[IMG]
I thought about going Traxxas. I wish I would have as the local hobby store carries a lot of Traxxas parts. I think the look a 1000x cooler than Duratrax stuff. I might see if I can find a rolling chassis on eBay and swap out my electronics.

Tires: I had the same problems with mine. That's why I switched to the pro-line rims and rubber. A lot pricier, but a lot more traction and a lot more reliability.

Today I am setting up my Losi Micro-T to run on LiPo. I had a heck of a time tracking down batteries small enough to fit in the battery tray. I am also swapping out the factory connectors with mini dean's connectors. It will test my soldering skillz for shur.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 01:18 PM

If I remember, mine are pro-line (it's been a few years since I replaced them). I love the rustler in the dirt. Very fun. We have a few old quarries around me to play in. I wish I went Traxxas for my boat - that's why I'm thinking about getting a different one. It is important to get something that your local store has parts for, IMHO.

Have you tried nitro? Those tiny little engines are so cool. I did have to modify my body for better cooling when I run through stuff with some drag (like grass).
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by memento View Post
1.] If I remember, mine are pro-line (it's been a few years since I replaced them). I love the rustler in the dirt. Very fun. We have a few old quarries around me to play in. I wish I went Traxxas for my boat - that's why I'm thinking about getting a different one. 2.] It is important to get something that your local store has parts for, IMHO.

3.] Have you tried nitro? Those tiny little engines are so cool. I did have to modify my body for better cooling when I run through stuff with some drag (like grass).
1.] I am thinking of looking into boats, but the season here is so short.

2.] This is a good point. It is VERY important to check out the local shops and see what they carry. You may not buy the majority of your stuff there, but you never know when you might have a day to tool around with the toys and then you break a part right away that you don't have a spare for.

3.] I do 95% of my driving in town and a nitro engine would be a major noise nuisance. I have never tried it my self, the noise is too much of a factor. If I lived in a country setting or had a track and raced I would definitely go nitro.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 04:39 PM

They are definitely noisy and generate smelly exhaust. but then that's what I love about them! I'm live out where nobody would care about that.

Are you in the disconnected part of the mitten state? Even there, you don't need summer to run a boat. Even a stream with a "pool" spot will do. Even better since if it dies, you can count on the water flow to bring the boat to you. One of my places is at the base of a waterfall, just not too close to it. But the noise is why I'm considering battery for a boat. I have 1 place that's great for nitro, but the others would be better with a battery.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 11, 2007, 09:29 PM

Just under an hour per battery I am guessing. And I am brutal on them.
WOW. That's freaking amazing. Is your truck 4wd? Or RWD? Do you have ball bearings? Or is it just bushings everywhere? Thanks!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 11, 2007, 09:32 PM

1.] I am thinking of looking into boats, but the season here is so short.
I have a deep vee, and I hate it. When the battery dies or something quits working, it's stuck in the middle of a lake or pond. Very annoying.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 09:39 PM

WOW. That's freaking amazing. Is your truck 4wd? Or RWD? Do you have ball bearings? Or is it just bushings everywhere? Thanks!
RWD. LiPo is the only way to go. Expensive to start out with, but cheaper in the long run as the batteries have a higher number of cycles and much longer run times. You just have to be VERY careful with them. Very dangerous if you have a charging mishap. Horror stories can be read here.

Bearings all around. It came with a cheap set, but I have a good contact from GM who hooks me up with very tight tolerance ceramic bearings for free. They are samples from her job as a service parts rep.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 11, 2007, 09:40 PM

I have a deep vee, and I hate it. When the battery dies or something quits working, it's stuck in the middle of a lake or pond. Very annoying.
Exactly. I'd need two boats. One to play with and one to somehow tow the other one after it's battery dies in the middle of the lake.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 08:35 AM

They have boats with an aux motor in them for just that reason. Plus that's why I go to a stream with a pool now. I've had to chase my boat down before since it doesn't have the aux motor. The things we learn from experience!

TRAXXAS Nitro Vee

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 08:38 AM

I have a Traxxas Revo that I purchased last year. I switched from electric to nitro. The power increase is incredible. I strapped a GPS to it and clocked a top speed of 42 mph, and that's stock. Here's a generic photo of the truck.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 12, 2007, 01:36 PM

Dammit, you may have restarted my interest in this thing. Argh.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Apr 12, 2007, 02:12 PM

I tore up the tranny in my Losi Micro-T last night. I upgraded to a 7.4V LiPo battery from a 4.8V NiCad and it was too much for the little plastic gears. I had bought two small cells and wired them in series. Looks like after I replace the gears I'll rewire it in parallel and just enjoy the extended run time.

I am really digging this little guy.

And for the kiddies: do NOT mess with LiPo unless you know what you are doing! VERY VERY dangerous. Makes me rethink my position on the Tesla car.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 12, 2007, 02:48 PM

Yeah, they seem kinda too 'serious' for just a toy... I mean...yikes. Risk of fire? No thanks. I'll stick to other kinds of batteries. I would like to pick up a new one though, mine are about 15 yrs old. They were old when I got them.

drave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 01:48 PM

Hey guys im pretty new to this but been playing we the cars ever since i was a kid but never really thought bout modifying them until my dad wanted to have a race once he fixed a car he bought and i was wondering could anyone help me on how to make my cars go faster and what kind of stuff i need to do so aswell

thanks

memento
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 02:18 PM

we can probably help, but first question - what do you have?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 02:22 PM

n. m.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2007, 02:26 PM

Brushless motors and LiPo batteries. And do you want high top speed or quickness off the starting line?

drave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 04:12 PM

i have a hummer h2 but im not sure on whats inside it all i know is it has and engine sound button and a music button on the controller aswell as 3 speed controller aswell as 4 band thing incase i racing 4 cars

Forum Links
Forum Rules